Post your 1911 beauties!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 27

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

HighVelocity wrote: I am no stranger to flyers. Usually about the time I start to get exited about putting a bunch of bullets in one hole, I'll pull one about 4 inches out. :lol: But even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

And I thought that was just me! The bad thing is when I do that while shooting really well, the AR / perfectionist side of me comes out and I want to start all over with a new target. I know, I know, I just need to let go. :lol:
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

RubenZ
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RubenZ »

I have removed the factory grips with some I made with my Initials. I'll try to get a pick of that later today and post up.

135boomer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 135boomer »

Here are two of mine. A Springfield Trophy Match on top and my primary carry gun, an old model Champion on the bottom.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 63

Post by HighVelocity »

Picked a new holster for my full size carry. Milt Sparks 55BN. The mag pouch is from Gary Brommeland. :grin:

I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

skip
Posts in topic: 1

My First

Post by skip »

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

My wife has been telling me for a long time that she wished she could find a set of grips for her 45 that had flames on them like an old hotrod. I looked high and low boy and let me tell you… The options are pretty limited. The ones I found were just crumby so it turned out to be a do-it-myself project.

Ingredients:

1 set of black checkered grips from a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec
1 fine model paint brush
1 flat white testors model paint (primer)
1 Testors Cherry Red
1 Testors Yellow
1 Testors engine block Orange

I did it free hand with only mental images of hotrods from childhood. Once all the paint was on, I cooked it for about 30 seconds at 850 degrees with a heat gun, then I hosed them down with armorall and wiped them off. I've used this process on other plastics and the paint wore like iron.

I think it looks just "ok". My wife thinks it looks incredible though and that's all that matters to me. She got really excited when I showed them to her. Moroso than when I bought her a new car. Go figure. :/

One thing I learned from this was that painting a checkered surface is HARD. Smooth grips would've been much easier.

Gary

I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 15

Post by jbirds1210 »

That looks very nice! I can see her shooting that gun....yes...very easy to imagine that.

You did a great job.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Posts in topic: 3

Post by 5111 »

I just purchased my first 1911 from AEA. It is a Colt Officers with a bunch of custom work done. I don't even know what all has been done, but this is what Alan told me : It has night sights installed, Full length Guide Rod with reverse plug, Beavertail, Checkerd front strap, flared ejection port, custom trigger. I even used his picture!

It seemed to stovepipe the last round 80% of the time with the Colt magazine so I upgraded to some Wilson Combat magazines.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

jbirds1210 wrote:That looks very nice! I can see her shooting that gun....yes...very easy to imagine that.

You did a great job.

Jason
Thanks. You're too kind.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 23

Post by dws1117 »

HighVelocity wrote:Picked a new holster for my full size carry. Milt Sparks 55BN. The mag pouch is from Gary Brommeland. :grin:

What gun is that? Are the sights the Yost Bonitz?

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

It's a springfield Lightweight loaded 5". Yep, I put the Yobo sight on the rear and it has an XS standard tritium sight on the front. The sight picture is pretty awesome.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Sounds like an interesting sight set up. Would this be one of the guns that you'll have at the forum day? If so I would live to try out those sights.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

BTW I've used that exact same load for .45 in the past. Talk about a soft shootin, accurate and clean burning load.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Oh dear.... What guns to bring on forum day... I hadn't even thought about that. :oops:

I'll put this one on the list of stuff to bring.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Oh dear.... What guns to bring on forum day... I hadn't even thought about that.
What a quandary.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”