Low Priced Shotguns at Academy

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeremae »

Xander wrote:So I wonder...How would one *most* accurately describe rifles such as, say, semi-auto only ARs or AKs? I think I'm going to vote for calling them "assault rifles in sheeple's clothing."
I thought the accepted term was EBR (Evil Black Rifles)
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Xander wrote:So I wonder...How would one *most* accurately describe rifles such as, say, semi-auto only ARs or AKs? I think I'm going to vote for calling them "assault rifles in sheeple's clothing."
"Rifle" works just fine. No need for extra syllables.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

assault rifle wannbee?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Xander
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Xander »

KBCraig wrote:
"Rifle" works just fine. No need for extra syllables.
Yeah...I was just teasing. I knew that post needed an emoticon. :grin:

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

Glad someone finally posted about the assault rifle reference. If anyone cares, here is the published definition from the NRA ILA Firearms Glossary...

ASSAULT RIFLE
By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts in topic: 3

Post by 5111 »

I am well aware of the complaint that many have about the nomenclature, however I posted it that way because the sign on the AR in the Arlington store says "Must Be 21 to Purchase Assault Rifles" (which is a completely different topic).

rspeir

Post by rspeir »

5111 wrote:I am well aware of the complaint that many have about the nomenclature, however I posted it that way because the sign on the AR in the Arlington store says "Must Be 21 to Purchase Assault Rifles" (which is a completely different topic).
I can't think of anything that would prohibit them from being more restrictive than federal law. I wonder what the reason would be that they would give.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

gmckinl wrote:Glad someone finally posted about the assault rifle reference. If anyone cares, here is the published definition from the NRA ILA Firearms Glossary...

ASSAULT RIFLE
By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect.
I never trusted the Army to define anything, because the Army is sometimes pretty silly in its definitions. After all the first thing a recruit is taught is that there is the right way, and then there is the Army way. The Army would insist that what most rational folks would believe is an assault weapon isn't even a gun. In fact they tried to convince the lot of us in Basic training that that certain anatomical human organs were to be refered to as guns, but not an M16 I'm sure our fellow veterans here would agree.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

"this one's for fightin', and this one's for fun"

just guessing :cool:
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Post by 5111 »

rspeir wrote:
5111 wrote:I am well aware of the complaint that many have about the nomenclature, however I posted it that way because the sign on the AR in the Arlington store says "Must Be 21 to Purchase Assault Rifles" (which is a completely different topic).
I can't think of anything that would prohibit them from being more restrictive than federal law. I wonder what the reason would be that they would give.
Just the Academy being stupid. I give them grief about it every time I am in the store. They claim that it is a company policy, but I have only ever seen the sign in the Arlington store.

rkhal

Post by rkhal »

How about "Gun Control weinie agitators?" or Agitator Weapons for short?

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Just the Academy being stupid. I give them grief about it every time I am in the store. They claim that it is a company policy, but I have only ever seen the sign in the Arlington store.
Yep just the store. A buddy of mine bought a Bushmaster AR15 from Academy in Austin a couple of months ago and he is only 20. They didnt even batt an eye lid about it.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Xander wrote:So I wonder...How would one *most* accurately describe rifles such as, say, semi-auto only ARs or AKs?
I thought we'd decided--maybe last year--that they were "Sport Utility Rifles." :grin:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Skiprr wrote:
Xander wrote:So I wonder...How would one *most* accurately describe rifles such as, say, semi-auto only ARs or AKs?
I thought we'd decided--maybe last year--that they were "Sport Utility Rifles." :grin:
I Like calling them "guns" or perhaps rifles. Differentiating them from any other gun seems to invite attention into why they are scarier than any other gun. Funny how in my experience the most dangerous guns happened to be shotguns and revolvers. Having seen the results of some that had been misused or poor condition.

Then again while I might think that calling attention to these these type of guns by using special nomenclature, I have yet to understand the venom caused by calling a revolver, a pistol or a magazine, a clip. Words have meanings, I guess .. there are always implications in any terminology that some people see different than the others.
Liberty''s Blog

Xander
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Xander »

Skiprr wrote:
LOL! That was before my time on the forum, but that's great! :grin:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”