Posts in topic: 3

Re: Gander Mountain Mesquite

Post by stroo »

Gander Mountain Lewisville opens today.

spolct
Posts in topic: 1

Post by spolct »

went to the lewisville store today, first time i've ever set foot in a gander mtn. lots and lots of guns, along the lines of cabela's in ft. worth. ammo shelves were full, with kind of okay prices. 9mm wwb 100 rnd boxes for $40, 350 pack blazer 9mm for $120. i picked up a box of critical defense for $25, which is pretty much what I've always seen it at.

they even had 2 s&w magazines - both 14 rnd .45 mags for $59. saw a few LC9 mags for $50, which seemed a bit high. gun prices looked to be ok, no super great deals but nothing super high either.

employees outnumbered the customers 2 or 3 to 1. every time i turned around, a friendly employee was asking how i was doing, what kind of ammo i was looking for, offering up pistolas for fondling, etc. somebody asked me how i was doing about 50 times before i left that place.

scokill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by scokill »

Really nothing special about Gander Mountain in Mesquite. They have a lot of guns, retail prices, fairly descent guys behind the counter, better than Bass Pro in Garland. Those guys could care less about selling anything.

We've been looking for 9mm and .380 target ammo (as apposed to critical defense), and while we haven't been scouring the universe, we havent found any at the usual suspects. May have to mail order. Went to Cheaper than Dirt in Ft. Worth to buy my XDS in stainless as it's been hard to find. They negotiated down about 5% and based on what I've seen on the internet I ended up in the ballpark price wise after it's shipped, transferred, etc. It took me 15 min to walk out with gun and it was very crowded with 4 cash registers ringing up folks. They have to be making a killing. They didn't have 9mm or .380 ammo either.

Taltyman

Post by Taltyman »

<soapbox on>
Support your local gun store. I have one in Kaufman and also still have a job in Mesquite so I stop in occasionally at Ganders. Other posters have commented on their prices. From what I see they simply price theirs at MSRP and figure since they have a huge selection that people not in the know will think their prices are good as well. Academy selection isn't great but their prices are better. But go to some local gun stores. See if one of them takes the time to answer your questions and be genuinely grateful you came in, even if you are just browsing. Double check their prices and make sure they are reasonable and if so make them your store of choice. They may not have the exact model you want or the latest one in but at least give them the opportunity to get you what you are looking for.
</soapbox off>

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Stopped by the Corsicana store today and was not impressed. Fully stocked with firearms at average prices. Lots of ammo, again at average prices but NO 22lr. The clerk sort of scoffed at the question. Only one small cabinet (locked) with powder. Very little reloading equipment. Small stock of useless OWB holsters.

:???:

jmra

Post by jmra »

wheelgun1958 wrote:Stopped by the Corsicana store today and was not impressed. Fully stocked with firearms at average prices. Lots of ammo, again at average prices but NO 22lr. The clerk sort of scoffed at the question. Only one small cabinet (locked) with powder. Very little reloading equipment. Small stock of useless OWB holsters.

I've never been impressed with GM. During the first ammo shortage I stood at the counter and watched the manager pull WWB ammo out of a Walmart bag and mark up walmarts price by 300%. That told me all I needed to know about GM.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

jmra wrote:
wheelgun1958 wrote:Stopped by the Corsicana store today and was not impressed. Fully stocked with firearms at average prices. Lots of ammo, again at average prices but NO 22lr. The clerk sort of scoffed at the question. Only one small cabinet (locked) with powder. Very little reloading equipment. Small stock of useless OWB holsters.

I've never been impressed with GM. During the first ammo shortage I stood at the counter and watched the manager pull WWB ammo out of a Walmart bag and mark up walmarts price by 300%. That told me all I needed to know about GM.
He not only is a robber, but a dumb one to let you see what he was doing. :txflag: :patriot:
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

jmra wrote:

I too have never been impressed with GM; their prices are terrible. I do stop at the Corsicana store from time to time. They used to have a full mount of a melanistic (black) white tail at the entrance I found interesting. We took one off our lease a few years ago. They also used to have their long guns displayed for full access. The black rifles were actually replicas. The guy said they got tired of people stealing parts.
I think I remember the long guns behind counters on my last visit to the Corsicana store. I know they are behind the counters at the GM off Hempstead in Houston.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

scokill

Post by scokill »

Taltyman wrote:<soapbox on>
Support your local gun store. I have one in Kaufman and also still have a job in Mesquite so I stop in occasionally at Ganders. Other posters have commented on their prices. From what I see they simply price theirs at MSRP and figure since they have a huge selection that people not in the know will think their prices are good as well. Academy selection isn't great but their prices are better. But go to some local gun stores. See if one of them takes the time to answer your questions and be genuinely grateful you came in, even if you are just browsing. Double check their prices and make sure they are reasonable and if so make them your store of choice. They may not have the exact model you want or the latest one in but at least give them the opportunity to get you what you are looking for.
</soapbox off>
I've visited several local gun stores in the area while I agree in concept, I've found most of them to be unprofessional, uncaring, and borderline (if not straight up) jerks. Frankly I'm surprised most stay in business. Others mileage may vary.

JRG

Post by JRG »

I was in GM Mesquite yesterday and noticed that they had the same yellow box 250 round 9mm 115 grain ammo marked at $119. I just purchased one at Walmart in NM last week for $69. That is a $50 increase in price. Now, granted GM probably does not get the same amount of price break from the manufacturer that WM does, but $50 more for the same product???? I don't think so.

Joe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”