Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Where is gun while you drive ?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

davidtx wrote:
chartreuse wrote:
Vic wrote:I have just finished reading "The Gun digest Book of Concealed Carry" by Massad Ayoob. In this great book, Mr. Ayoob recommends wearing a backup gun in an ankle holster when driving.

An ankle holster is easy to access when seated, and faster than an IWB in this position (especially when seatbelted).

He emphasizes that the ankle holstered gun is for backup, not for primary carry.
I wonder if that would still hold true with cowboy boots? Have to get a cheap ankle holster and test it.
I wear cowboy boots on most days, so I may have to try that with my 642. I like the idea of an ankle holster for the car - I really, really, really hate to arm/disarm in the car. I'm always worried about somebody walking by and seeing the gun. I had to drive around for a while in downtown Austin until I could find a parking area that wasn't full of people. Due to work, I have to park in lots with high rates of break-ins so I don't like the idea of having a dedicated car/truck gun.
Unless you wear pants with some bell bottoms, it can be tricky pulling your jeans up over the top of cowboy boots and then attempting to drag a pistol out of them. I have tried and found it very cumbersome. I bet it would be even trickier to do this while driving down the highway. Not good for when the moment of truth demands speed and efficiency. This is why it is important to pay special attention to the part where he says, "FOR BACK UP ONLY!!!!". There are more efficient methods for carrying in a car than an ankle holster. Give it a try if you don't believe me. then compare it to the other methods mentioned in this thread.

threoh8
Posts in topic: 1

Post by threoh8 »

I remember reading years (decades?) ago about an old-time police officer who kept a derringer attached to his boot with heavy-duty snaps.
Not ideal, but it might meet someone's needs.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Dusty Harry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dusty Harry »

toaster wrote:I found a small zipped case made for a portable backup drive at TJ MAX for $5.00. My PF9 and extra mag fits in it perfectly. It rides in the drivers door pocket. No one can tell whats inside! And I can carry it around without any suspicion.
Ditto. I'm a southpaw, and my Kahr P380 is my constant companion regardless of what else I have on me. Got a $10 soft sided and zippered hard drive case at Fry's that fits perfectly, protects the gun and is way not obvious. My drivers door pocket is deep enough that it comes all the way up to the top of the pouch. When I get out, I simply unzip the case and slip it into my pants as a great pocket holster.
Professional Training, Competition, Risk Avoidance, Situational Awareness, Tactical Mindset, 100,000+ rounds down range - the hardware is the least important part of the equation...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”