Posts in topic: 4

Re: Academy ammo sales

Post by tfrazier »

Thanks, Andy! I'll be using that!

mymojo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mymojo »

I stopped at the Academy on Forest in Dallas today to check on 9x18.

They had some so I said "Gimme six boxes". He handed them to me and I said "Do yall normally stock these?", to which he replied "nope. Dont normally get this caliber in."

"hmmmmm, better give me four more boxes, then."

He didnt bat an eye.
"Dialing 9-1-1 is wise.... Expecting them to arrive in time to save you is foolish." - Tsung Tzu, The Art of War

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

A coworker let me know that the Academy @ 1604 and NW Military had 7.62x39 today. Sure shootin', they did! They're keeping it behind the counter now. I went up and told the guy "I'll take all your 7.62 you have in stock" only to be told that they limit it to 10 boxes. There may be some left, but I did let about 20 or so of our 'gun nut' group at work know and they mentioned they were going to grab some. But if you're near that Academy this evening, give it a try. They had plenty of WWB and American Eagle. Maybe about 15 or 20 boxes of Monarch.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
RECIT
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RECIT »

I manage an auto shop and have tons of wheel weights. What might a 5 gallon bucket be worth? I know what is worth in the scrap yard but not to a reloader. Not that I am going to gouge or anything. As I don't reload myself, but I would like to see a fellow gun nut prosper instead of a shady scrap metal guy.

oh and all the Academy stores in my area have the limit on ALL handgun ammo and what they are classifying as "assault weapon ammo" too (that was hand written on their printed sign by the way ) 5.56/.223, 7.62 soviet, 5.45, and .308/7.62NATO. What is terrible is that all the stores are not consistent. Some are just limiting .223 some just the handgun ammo, some have everything that anyone would want behind the counter. They left all the super expensive .308 like $25-40 a box on the shelf and the reasonably priced stuff behind the counter.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tfrazier »

RECIT wrote:...wheel weights. What might a 5 gallon bucket be worth? I know what is worth in the scrap yard but not to a reloader...
Solid ingots appear to be averaging around $1.50 per pound on eBay. Wheel weights are going on the street for as much as $.50 per pound. Scrap dealers are paying $.20 per pound. I spoke to a scrap dealer/recycler a couple of weeks ago who said he he would resell 500 pounds of scrap lead to me for $550.00. I told him no thanks. I think $25 per hundred pounds would be a fair price to a reloader...that's $.25 cents per pound.

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

To update everyone on Academy and their ammo sales. I was just at the same Academy that I learned about the limit and now they have lifted the limit on all ammo once again. I hope all the complaining I did about the two box limit changed their policy back to the norm. I was just in there and they had several choices of all calibers. They got a truck this morning and I bought 8 of the 11 value pack Remington 9mm FMJ they had. The department manager would NOT sell me the other boxes. He said he had to leave some for other people. I told him I had come by the last 3-4 days in a row and I am other people! I was happy to get what I did. Good luck to all.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RECIT wrote:To update everyone on Academy and their ammo sales. I was just at the same Academy that I learned about the limit and now they have lifted the limit on all ammo once again. I hope all the complaining I did about the two box limit changed their policy back to the norm. I was just in there and they had several choices of all calibers. They got a truck this morning and I bought 8 of the 11 value pack Remington 9mm FMJ they had. The department manager would NOT sell me the other boxes. He said he had to leave some for other people. I told him I had come by the last 3-4 days in a row and I am other people! I was happy to get what I did. Good luck to all.
Price must always accompany sighting reports. :rules:

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

The Remington value packs I bought were $24.99 a box. I did not see the prices of any of the other calibers.

Vic303

Post by Vic303 »

Talked to the guys at the new McKinney Academy. The old one said that Corporate canceled any limitations on the amount of ammo a single customer can buy. They'd have sold it all to me if I had had enough $$.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RECIT wrote:The Remington value packs I bought were $24.99 a box. I did not see the prices of any of the other calibers.

Thank You.... :tiphat: . I may hit my local Academy to see if they have any. I have a bud who did not think ammo supplies would be an issue and now he has exactly 20 rounds of 9mm left and 1 box of 50 in 380. He doesn't have a lot of time to stalk ammo, so he would be all over this deal. The guy can't go to the range because of ammo shortages. The ranges are even starting to ration ammo.....and that is at quite a mark up in price too. My local range has started selling only to people who plan to shoot it on location. I can't imagine anybody wanting to stock up on 25 dollar per 50 9mm anyway... :fire

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
RECIT wrote: My local range has started selling only to people who plan to shoot it on location. I can't imagine anybody wanting to stock up on 25 dollar per 50 9mm anyway... :fire
Same here-I called to inquire as to the stock of ammo at my local indoor range, and he asked if it was for range time. I told him yes, and he said he had plenty for that,but NONE for sale outside of range use. We're making a run out there Friday afternoon,and I'm trying to avoid getting into my stash of ammo for range time. Wife and I both agree that we're gonna buy what we need for range use at the range, and keep our "stockpile" full at home.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Academy in Galveston: WWB .45 ACP, 100 for 41.99
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

jdh2580

Post by jdh2580 »

Stopped by Academy in Webster/League City last night and they confirmed they have lifted their previous 2 box limit as RECIT said. I missed 10 boxes of Monarch 9mm by about 10 minutes the guy said. :grumble

They had a few boxes of WWB .45 and a decent supply of various .223 brands.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”