Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

USA1
Posts in topic: 143

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by USA1 »

mgh wrote:
USA1 wrote:Welcome to the forum mgh. :tiphat:

Glad you decided to get back in the game. ;-)
Thanks,

It wasn't hard, I have two wonderful stepdaughters in their 20's that have decided they what to learn to shoot. Their mother is not to happy, but they both live alone and it's time they learn how to protect themselves. I might add they are both great shooters.
Good for them. I love to hear that young ladies make the decision to be able to protect themselves and I'll bet you're pleased and proud to help guide them down that road...just don't tell momma...shhh. ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

mgh
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mgh »

USA1 wrote:Good for them. I love to hear that young ladies make the decision to be able to protect themselves and I'll bet you're pleased and proud to help guide them down that road...just don't tell momma...shhh. ;-)
Yeah their mother is coming around, being they do live by themselves see can see the need, and I got my plastic in the mail today...yee...haw

USA1
Posts in topic: 143

Post by USA1 »

mgh wrote:
USA1 wrote:Good for them. I love to hear that young ladies make the decision to be able to protect themselves and I'll bet you're pleased and proud to help guide them down that road...just don't tell momma...shhh. ;-)
Yeah their mother is coming around, being they do live by themselves see can see the need, and I got my plastic in the mail today...yee...haw
Congratz on the plastic ! :cheers2:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

JasonblkZ06
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JasonblkZ06 »

male
Self employed
single
Years CHL - 7
Ralph Hall the RINO is my State REP. That bastard career politician needs to go!
Carry guns change - lately I leave it in my truck as I can't get comfortable with a gun and am usually in some place that doesn't allow it anyway.
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms" except here, here, here, this particular time, here, here, and here, etc. "

maxlib

Post by maxlib »

Hi all.

I am a 50 year old, widowed, male, retired but kind of looking for a job and as you will see fairly new to having a CHL.

I have been lurking on the forum for awhile and have made a few posts and figured it was time to introduce myself.

I started shooting before I could even hold up a rifle, my dad would hold a .22 for me and I would aim and pull the trigger. I've been around handguns all my life but did not shoot them until I was 14 or 15.

I joined the Navy in 1989 and retired last July.

I'm not new to CCW, just licensed carry. While in the military I felt that while traveling across country by personal vehicle I might be well served to have the ability to defend myself, and fortunately I never had to. I spent the last ten years of my Navy career in Jacksonville and Pensacola, FL, some time before that in VA, as well as some time in Kalifornia. I neglected to get permits in VA and FL because of the military policy of not being allowed to carry on base. I would have gladly locked my weapon in a safe inside my vehicle, but if caught it would have been all over.

Anyway, last year I filled out an online application for my CHL and received my paperwork fairly expeditiously. Well I got busy with a new job and waited almost a year to submit my documents back for my CHL. I realized that if I got my paperwork in before the year was finished that I could save myself the fee. I got off my backside and submitted the package in time and received my permit in about five weeks. My total cost for my permit was $32.00 plus postage! That was 12 for passport photos, and my course instructor cut me a deal because of my military time and only charged me 20 bucks for his expenses. The police chief in my small town did my fingerprints at no charge.

During the five weeks waiting for my permit I needed to decide on a daily carry. I have a few handguns, but the only two that would be remotely concealable are my Kimber Ultra Ten II, and a Bersa .380. Well the Bersa was out because of caliber, and I didn’t want to have to tote around the weight of the Kimber plus ten rounds of .45, plus extra mags. I did however want to buy a new gun in .40. I have always been a 1911 fan, and a Glock hater. I started applying logic and an open mind, researched Glocks, held a few, and now daily carry is a G27.

After breaking this thing in with about 500 rounds, including 100 rounds of PDX1 I decided that my next gun purchase will be a full size or compact Glock 9mm.

I want to thank you folks, although I am not a novice with guns, shooting, concealed carry or tactics, I have learned new things each time I log into the forum, and I am confident that I will continue to do so.
“No, that is the great fallacy; the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful”. Count Greffi, A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemmingway

wiredgeorge
Posts in topic: 2

Post by wiredgeorge »

wiredgeorge is a biker handle. I own a vintage Japanese carburetor sales and rebuild business in rural Medina county about 1/2 way between Bandera and Hondo. Most all my business is internet based. I have been shooting for quite awhile and own quite a few hand guns and shot guns. I am not a hunter. I am married with three grown kiddos and my missus enjoys target shooting pistols as well. We are members of Bandera Gun Club. My favorite pistol is my Ruger 22/45... the pistol is well made, well balanced and accurate. Makes me feel like I can hit something. My wife and I like to tour on our Goldwing and play golf when time allows. I retired from the Fed Govt in 1998; we lived overseas many years and I then traveled overseas extensively once stationed back here in the States. Anyway, glad to have found this forum. wg
wiredgeorge Mico TX

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

wiredgeorge wrote:wiredgeorge is a biker handle. I own a vintage Japanese carburetor sales and rebuild business in rural Medina county about 1/2 way between Bandera and Hondo. Most all my business is internet based. I have been shooting for quite awhile and own quite a few hand guns and shot guns. I am not a hunter. I am married with three grown kiddos and my missus enjoys target shooting pistols as well. We are members of Bandera Gun Club. My favorite pistol is my Ruger 22/45... the pistol is well made, well balanced and accurate. Makes me feel like I can hit something. My wife and I like to tour on our Goldwing and play golf when time allows. I retired from the Fed Govt in 1998; we lived overseas many years and I then traveled overseas extensively once stationed back here in the States. Anyway, glad to have found this forum. wg
Welcome to the forum, wiredgeorge! (I had to go back and retype your handle, as the first time it came out "weirdgeorge." :mrgreen: )

What is your website address?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CompVest
Posts in topic: 34

Post by CompVest »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
wiredgeorge wrote:wiredgeorge is a biker handle. I own a vintage Japanese carburetor sales and rebuild business in rural Medina county about 1/2 way between Bandera and Hondo. Most all my business is internet based. I have been shooting for quite awhile and own quite a few hand guns and shot guns. I am not a hunter. I am married with three grown kiddos and my missus enjoys target shooting pistols as well. We are members of Bandera Gun Club. My favorite pistol is my Ruger 22/45... the pistol is well made, well balanced and accurate. Makes me feel like I can hit something. My wife and I like to tour on our Goldwing and play golf when time allows. I retired from the Fed Govt in 1998; we lived overseas many years and I then traveled overseas extensively once stationed back here in the States. Anyway, glad to have found this forum. wg
Welcome to the forum, wiredgeorge! (I had to go back and retype your handle, as the first time it came out "weirdgeorge." :mrgreen: )

Now TAM don't go getting our new member in trouble by asking him to advertise his business before he has 45 posts - Member - status. Rule 18.

PM each other.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

CompVest wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Now TAM don't go getting our new member in trouble by asking him to advertise his business before he has 45 posts - Member - status. Rule 18.

PM each other.
Ooops! Sorry. I forgot. I just have an interest in vintage Japanese carburetors - former road racer, and all that....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

wiredgeorge

Post by wiredgeorge »

I didn't join to drum up more carburetor business. Trust me hehe - I work too many hours as it is and smell enough old gas and carb cleaner to not lust for more. Since I don't wish to be a spam-boy, just plug " wiredgeorge " into google... or vintage carburetor or something like that. My shop rebuilds more vintage motorcycle carburetors a year than most anyone else, I think. I also own MANY vintage Kawasakis in running and project form but this is a gun site. The vintage bike world is far more extensive than many folks think as middle-aged guys can now afford the bike of their dreams.
wiredgeorge Mico TX

LRAyers

Post by LRAyers »

Hello, my name is lrayers and unfortunately I am acquainted with StevieD. I am his grasshopper. I am interested in educating myself about firearms. I look forward to hearing and interacting with you.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 89

Post by WildBill »

LRAyers wrote:Hello, my name is lrayers and unfortunately I am acquainted with StevieD. I am his grasshopper. I am interested in educating myself about firearms. I look forward to hearing and interacting with you.
Welcome to the forum grasshopper. :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 89

Post by WildBill »

maxlib wrote:Hi all.

I am a 50 year old, widowed, male, retired but kind of looking for a job and as you will see fairly new to having a CHL.

I have been lurking on the forum for awhile and have made a few posts and figured it was time to introduce myself.
Welcome Maxlib. Glad to have you here and I look forward to more of your posts.
NRA Endowment Member

rbrecount

Post by rbrecount »

85 years and still going.
Married 54 years, three daughters and five grandchildren.
Retired system analyst from an electric utility.
Just retired from 22 years in the Civil Air Patrol.
CHL one month. Carrying a Taurus 9mil in a Kholster at 2:30 o'clock.
Always seeking more smarts and friends.
Ancient Airman
USN,WW II,Korea
Taurus pt 111
Taurus 24/7 PRO D/S
S&W 642-2 snubbie

ttn539

Post by ttn539 »

22 years old.
Just commissioned in the Marine Corps
Had a CHL for a couple of days already =D. Kahr pm9, springfield 9mm xdsc
A lot of knowledge on this forum, so I'm here to learn more!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”