ammo on sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 183

Re: ammo on sale

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

UpTheIrons wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I was at Bass Pro Shops yesterday and they were loaded up in all sorts of ammo. The only problem was that they are at least 25% higher than any other place in town. Some of the ammo was 40% higher. Thanks.... but no thanks.
About the only reason I go there anymore is when I have a giftcard. I just haven't been at all impressed with their prices. Even in other departments, there seems to be a premium that used to be associated with buying at the "finer" sporting goods stores like Cabela's.
I have been in Cabela's and it is a pretty fun place to window shop. That was my first trip to Bass Pro Shops. it didn't seem as fun to me. They do have loads of goodies any right thinking male would love to own.... but it just cost to much.

Almost messed up.... or right thinking female too. :mrgreen:

USMC-COL
Posts in topic: 6

Post by USMC-COL »

I have found plenty of Federal 9mm practice ammo at $9.47 a box at Wal-Mart in San Antonio recently. Picked up 6 boxes at one and one case of 20 boxes at another. There was an overstock of 40-cal ammo at one.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

Skydivesnake
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skydivesnake »

Cabela's have a special on ammo this weekend; 8.99 for a box of 9mm and 3.99 for .223 and 7.62x39. MFS (?) brand. The 9mm is brass cased and reloadable and the .223 and 7.62 are steel cased.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 61
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

I have been to 3 Wal-Marts (both Lewisville sites + Loop 288 in Denton)
and all of them have had large quantities of the new Federal Premium
.40 JHP's, 50 rounds each, for $22.97 each.

The new JHP's come in 2 tone silver/gray boxes, as opposed to the
Federal Premium FMJ's which come in the maroon/black boxes.

But what I perceive to be a drawback to this ammo is that instead of
being the standard 180 grains for a .40, these JHP's are ony 135 grains.

What does anyone think of the specs on this newly available self defense ammo?
I would think that for $22.97 a box, you .40 guys/gals could try out your guns'
feeding of the JHP's, but then actually carry SD loads in another brand, which would
have the full 180 grains of .40 power. IMHO.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CWOOD »

Skydivesnake wrote:Cabela's have a special on ammo this weekend; 8.99 for a box of 9mm and 3.99 for .223 and 7.62x39. MFS (?) brand. The 9mm is brass cased and reloadable and the .223 and 7.62 are steel cased.
I just got 500 of the Tula .223 using their online order. $107 with tax and free ship to my local store about 8 miles away. good deal.

LarryH
Posts in topic: 21

Post by LarryH »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:But what I perceive to be a drawback to this ammo is that instead of
being the standard 180 grains for a .40, these JHP's are ony 135 grains.

What does anyone think of the specs on this newly available self defense ammo?
I would think that for $22.97 a box, you .40 guys/gals could try out your guns'
feeding of the JHP's, but then actually carry SD loads in another brand, which would
have the full 180 grains of .40 power. IMHO.

SIA
JMHO, but firing 135 grain JHP's through your gun will only prove that it likes the 135's --- proves nothing about how it would do with the 180's, especially a different brand.

You also need to compare the muzzle velocity and energy of the different brands/bullet sizes. It may be that the 135's are notably faster and have the same energy.

With different brands, the expansion efficiency is likely different, too.

My thoughts, worth about what you paid for them, but I did drive past a Holiday Inn Express today.

Tireshred
Posts in topic: 69

Post by Tireshred »

Wally in Crosby has everything but .380, lots of 40, 9, 45, some .38, some .44, all at usual Wally pricing.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

The Wal-Mart at FM 646 and I-45 had a few boxes of WWB 9mm (both 50-round and 100-round) and 45 and 44 magnum and 40 this morning

Lots of Federal 40, quite a bit of Federal 9mm

Quite a bit of RWS (orange boxes, from Switzerland) 9mm

Some Remington UMC in various calibers (40, 45, plus a couple of others I can't remember)

When W-M first began carrying the RWS, it was nearly $17 per box versus $13.50 for WWB, but now it's about $13.

Federal 9mm is $9.50, WWB is $13-something.

The lady said she got two boxes of 380 yesterday -- they didn't last long

Academy also got two boxes of Monarch 380 yesterday -- they didn't last long, either

Quahog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Quahog »

LarryH wrote:The lady said she got two boxes of 380 yesterday -- they didn't last long

Academy also got two boxes of Monarch 380 yesterday -- they didn't last long, either
I have contemplated getting myself a Bersa Thunder or Ruger LCP (as a pocket gun) but the lack of .380 ammo leaves me waiting. In all the times I've been into the different stores (Wally World, Academy, Carters Country, etc.), I've only seen one instance where anyone had any .380. That was a week ago at the Academy on 45 near Edgebrook. I asked the guy behind the counter if they've been seeing it more often and he said "a little but not much more"... I was almost tempted to buy what he had but I talked myself out of it pretty quick.

:nono:
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

USA1
Posts in topic: 104

Post by USA1 »

Quahog wrote: I have contemplated getting myself a Bersa Thunder or Ruger LCP (as a pocket gun)
Off Topic

IMO..If you do decide to get one or the other, go with the LCP for pocket carry.
There's nothing wrong with the Bersa but the LCP is way easier to carry and conceal in a pocket.

Back on Topic
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Bayllor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bayllor »

Has anyone in the Clear Lake area reported any sightings of .380 at Pro Self Defense in Webster?
NRA Member
TSRA

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Bayllor wrote:Has anyone in the Clear Lake area reported any sightings of .380 at Pro Defense in Webster?
sorry . . . haven't even looked . . . will try to get by there tomorrow

Quahog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Quahog »

USA1 wrote:
Quahog wrote: I have contemplated getting myself a Bersa Thunder or Ruger LCP (as a pocket gun)
Off Topic

IMO..If you do decide to get one or the other, go with the LCP for pocket carry.
There's nothing wrong with the Bersa but the LCP is way easier to carry and conceal in a pocket.

Back on Topic
Yes... I agree. It's small, light and from everything I've read and heard, quite reliable.
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

Tireshred
Posts in topic: 69

Post by Tireshred »

Bayllor wrote:Has anyone in the Clear Lake area reported any sightings of .380 at Pro Self Defense in Webster?
I haven't, but don't go there much. The best places to find .380 in that area (I live in Friendswood) are Academy at Edgebrook, Academy at 518, Wally at 646, Arms Room on 518, in that order as far as I can tell.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 9

Post by jeeperbryan »

Picked up 5 boxes of WWB 100 ct 9mm at the Walmart in The Colony. I think they were about $23 each.

They also had some WWB 100ct 40SW but I can only afford a little at a time.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”