M&P Shield Pricing

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: M&P Shield Pricing

Post by puma guy »

Drove by Carter's Pasadena this morning and they had still had one in the display case. I was going to put it on lay away but I remembered I had a Carter's CC that allowed deferred interest if paid off within time limits. I'm going to surprise my wife when she gets back from visiting our middle daughter up in Fischer. The salesman pulled one from stock, so maybe the drought is is improving drip by drip. BTW I know I'll hear from some folks deriding Carter's Country so I'll say my piece hear. I don't mind spending a little more to support a small local business. They are the back bone of this county. They aren't in a position to negotiate cutthroat prices like big box out fits like Wally World and Academy and don't depend on a website and a computer as the store site so their prices have to reflect buildings, inventory and taxes on same, sales personnel who are at least familiar with the trade and all the other expenses involved in a brick and mortar enterprise. I don't have anything against the thousands of web based enterprises and have used them as well, but If I can support the local guys I will. Off my soap box, now.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

CainA
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CainA »

FYI and I don't know if it's been posted here or not(didn't search), but there were and still may be some magazine drop issues. More with the 40 cals than with 9's from what I've read.

armanius

Post by armanius »

I paid $499 at the Carter's on I10. They still have both 9's and 40's as of 05/22/2013.

To me, the Shield is definitely worth $499.
04.03.2013 Mailed Documents
06.19.2013 Received CHL
NRA Member

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

CainA wrote:FYI and I don't know if it's been posted here or not(didn't search), but there were and still may be some magazine drop issues. More with the 40 cals than with 9's from what I've read.
Honestly, I don't recommend the Shield in .40 unless you REALLY want .40 (i.e., that's the caliber for all your other pistols). The 9mm packs an amazing punch, and when paired up with Hornady Critical Defense +P, you have a gun that is easily on par with a .40.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

OldCannon wrote:
CainA wrote:FYI and I don't know if it's been posted here or not(didn't search), but there were and still may be some magazine drop issues. More with the 40 cals than with 9's from what I've read.
Honestly, I don't recommend the Shield in .40 unless you REALLY want .40 (i.e., that's the caliber for all your other pistols). The 9mm packs an amazing punch, and when paired up with Hornady Critical Defense +P, you have a gun that is easily on par with a .40.
I did read on the S&W Forum re: mag drops. Almost everything I read was .40 and S&W was asking for the pistols to be returned for inspection and were repairing any that had issues. Also S&W said they had "enhanched" the design, which, I interpreted to be a redesign to modify the weapon. Also read several on difficulty locking the mag, but I've had that issue on other semi=autos when they were new and fully loaded. I just dropped the round count by one until after break in. I will have a range report when we get to shoot it. Old Cannon, I agree with you on the 9mm with proper ammo. I carry a PM40, but my wife wouldn't be able to handle .40SW. She shot a Sigma in .40 and even it was too much.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Dalstar
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dalstar »

After watching Gunbroker for about 5 months, I picked on up for $479 including shipping the other day. That was the cheapest I had seen, most go on GB for at least $550-$600+.

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton »

I think Academy's price is $449. They disappear pretty quick when they come in though.

CainA

Post by CainA »

I thought Academy sold them for $399(MSRP was at one point in time $449).

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

CainA wrote:I thought Academy sold them for $399(MSRP was at one point in time $449).
Academy used to sell them for $399. But they raised their price to $449.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

CainA

Post by CainA »

RHenriksen wrote: Academy used to sell them for $399. But they raised their price to $449.
Thanks for the update.

Dreamliner

Post by Dreamliner »

I wonder if S&W will come out with a updated version and raise the MSRP in the future?

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tomtexan »

I bought one today at MSRP of $449.00. My second one. Sold the first and had wished I had it back so I just had to go buy another one. :mrgreen:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

tomtexan wrote:I bought one today at MSRP of $449.00. My second one. Sold the first and had wished I had it back so I just had to go buy another one. :mrgreen:
Sorry. :tiphat: I am glad that you found another one though.

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tomtexan »

carlson1 wrote:
tomtexan wrote:I bought one today at MSRP of $449.00. My second one. Sold the first and had wished I had it back so I just had to go buy another one. :mrgreen:
Sorry. :tiphat: I am glad that you found another one though.
Hey carlson1, no problem. It was the decision I made at the time. I was still relatively new to carrying and just had to find out for myself what I liked and didn't like. I wanted more capacity at the time and I achieved that with the double stack, but later found out that they were a little heavier in some instances than what I really needed depending upon the location situation. I figure it is always an ongoing experiment trying to figure out what a person really feels comfortable with carrying at certain times. As such, I have learned much during the past several months. ;-)

Went to a place in Wills Point today that had a big selection of firearms. They had advertised that they were having a big "sale" on this date and tomorrow. I decided to make the drive up there and check it out. The Smith and Wesson truck was there with a really nice display of goodies.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 7

Post by SQLGeek »

The Annoyed Man wrote:They are both 9mm, so what does "too little gun" mean?
TAM, what I mean is from a handling perspective not firepower.

Thanks everyone for the information. Sounds like $499 is very fair all things considered.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”