-----

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

You know...Artillery is great...But until you can get it off the ships and off the beach...

NGFS definitely provides you with a little wiggle room till you get situated inland...

Yer welcome! From your friendly nieghborhood rust-picker... ;-)

Naval Gunfire Support...

"When it absolutely, positively has to be simultanously, time on target..."

And FYI, you certainly want to be somewhere else than where 9, 16" shells are imbound to...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skipper5 »

bburgi...you're in all of our thoughts and prayers as you forge ahead in your longtime goal of joining up.

God speed and keep us posted!!

//John
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

THANKS

GOD BLESS

austin

Post by austin »

I was 98CLRU CEWI working for BDE or lower echelons.

Some of my best memories are sleeping on a moonless night on top of my vehicle with one ear on the BN Net and the other on the FS net watching the shells pass overhead. If everything worked out right, some grunt would find a target and report on the BN Net, the FSO would look at it, call the mission on the FS net, then I'd see the glowing shells traverse overhead against the starry sky. I'd hear "splash" then a few seconds later hear the crump.

13F today has a lot more than artillery to call upon. Many of the fire missions in the sandbox are air or GPS missiles. Many missions involve just one shell or missile.

They have a lot of very neat laser-based GPS systems to fix and send fire missions. 13F can find themselves attached to many units other than their deployed Command such as Marines, SOF, or even Iraqi units.

Tote 9
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tote 9 »

Congrats. bburgi, I envy you to the extent that I never experienced
any type of military service. The Army turned me down in 63 when I
tried to join ( blind in one eye). When my friends talk about their military
life I just listen. May God take care and Bless you. Thanks :patriot:
Don't Lose Your Head , Your Brains Are In It !!
At my age the only thing thats getting better is my FORGETTER.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Tote 9 wrote:The Army turned me down in 63 when I
tried to join ( blind in one eye).
My ex father-in-law lost all sight in one eye when he was a kid, but managed to enlist in late 1945 when he turned 18. He served an entire Army career and retired as an E7. It wasn't until his last enlistment physical that they caught on that he was blind... he'd been cheating the eye tests for 17 years! :grin:

By that time he was near retirement, was not deployable overseas because of his MOS, and was in a critical MOS (missile repair, working on nukes).

Kevin

JKDubb

Post by JKDubb »

Congrats and Welcome, I am in the TXARNG myself and believe it or not I am a Recruiter! I always feel great when we get a new soldier, what a life changing experience it will be not only for you but your family as well.

The first thing you gotta do when you get your ID card is head down to Seaworld where you AND your family can get in free of charge! :grin:
Don't get caught acting stupid in the no stupid zone

76 days from packet to plastic!

308nato

Post by 308nato »

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Well, congratulations. I hope you enjoy your time in the service as much as I enjoyed mine.

And you should have a great career path now, as there are going to be lots of NG FA vacancies for the near future. Many of the FA units got switched to become MP's when they were activated for Iraq. But we will still need FA in the future.
Steve Rothstein

KRM45

Re: TXARNG

Post by KRM45 »

bburgi wrote:
Wish me luck, and keep me in your prayers.
-Brian
Best of luck to you Brian.

I spent some time driving a tank in the Texas Gaurd.

Tote 9

Post by Tote 9 »

KBCraig wrote:
Tote 9 wrote:The Army turned me down in 63 when I
tried to join ( blind in one eye).
My ex father-in-law lost all sight in one eye when he was a kid, but managed to enlist in late 1945 when he turned 18. He served an entire Army career and retired as an E7. It wasn't until his last enlistment physical that they caught on that he was blind... he'd been cheating the eye tests for 17 years! :grin:

By that time he was near retirement, was not deployable overseas because of his MOS, and was in a critical MOS (missile repair, working on nukes).

Kevin
When I tried to join I was in Houston. All 4 militart offices were in the same bld. When the Army
turned me down I came out of the office and
walked aceoss the hall to the Air Force. The AF. officer saw me com out of the Army and the first
thing he said was, "son, if the Army doesn't want you we sure don't." So they gave me a 4f classification. :smile:
Don't Lose Your Head , Your Brains Are In It !!
At my age the only thing thats getting better is my FORGETTER.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Thanks, Brian. And good luck!
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

When I tried to enlist in the Marines, to "dodge the draft" the old Gunny sitting behind the desk took one look at the bandages on my ear and shoulder, and the coke bottle lens glasses, and almost laughed me out of the place. As I walked dejectedly down the hall a sailor stepped out of the next office and asked me if I wanted an easy way to get into the Marines.

I was a volunteer fireman, a ham radio operator, a first aid instructor, a water safety instructor, passed the morse code test in boot with flying colors, and had been a telephone lineman for some time, and the Navy took one look at my qualifications and made me a Gunner's Mate. :lol:

I did [abbreviated profanity deleted] and inshore fire support on Crete and Culebra a couple of times, and even five inch projectiles passing low over head make quite an impression, much less sixteens.

E FP TOZ LPED . . .

With vision on the order of 20/400 I memorized the standard eye chart up to 20/100 in order to cheat.

I had a guy that worked for me in the Navy who was blind in one eye, he made Gunner's Mate 3rd (E-4) in less than four years, he also cheated to get in.

My MOS was 0000.

Do well in your enlistment and thank you for your service Brian.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

JKDubb wrote:Congrats and Welcome, I am in the TXARNG myself and believe it or not I am a Recruiter! I always feel great when we get a new soldier, what a life changing experience it will be not only for you but your family as well.

The first thing you gotta do when you get your ID card is head down to Seaworld where you AND your family can get in free of charge! :grin:
I may have a few questions for you!

Topic author
bburgi

Post by bburgi »

-----
Last edited by bburgi on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”