1911 Concealment holster

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1911 Concealment holster

Post by Jumping Frog »

When wearing a big steel gun like a 1911, having a real gunbelt is far more critical for comfort than the holster. A good gunbelt can make a crummy holster comfortable, while a weak non-gunbelt can make a fabulous holster uncomfortable.

I carry my 1911 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur on a 1.5 in gunbelt. I also own and use the Crossbreed SuperTuck on a different gun, but have since decided I prefer the Comp-Tac.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 2

Post by glbedd53 »

I don't think so. Some holsters are just uncomfortable. My Bianchi was stiff as a board til I got it broke in, now the only thing I feel is the weight of an all steel Colt Officer. I can't speak to IWB. I was never able to find one my skinny self could stand for more than a few minutes.

flechero

If you are sticking with leather:

Post by flechero »

I don't carry the full size often enough to make a solid recommendation but look at the Jeffrey before you buy-

I have a Jeffrey QS-CC (IWB) which has all the molding on the outside, the inside is smooth and conforms to your body... it looks similar to a VMII (w/o reinforced mouth) but is more similar in comfort to the hybrid style holsters. http://www.jeffreycustomleather.com/Con ... sters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a VMII, NM and UBG other size 1911's and think that depending on your preferred cant, ride height and budget, they are certainly worth consideration:
http://www.ubgholsters.com/iwb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nm-holsters.com/products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

APynckel

Post by APynckel »

I love my crossbreed supertuck.

You can camber the holster to bring the grip in close to your back for a lower profile.
NRA Lifetime Member

wxguy

Post by wxguy »

I have an MTAC for my 1911 that works well. Also have an OWB by DM Bullard that I really like but I don't use it very often.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I've said it before here, buy a Raven Concealment Phantom. There is a reason it takes a while to get one (at least there was when I got mine last year, they may be making more now), they are very good. I have used the Comp-Tac, Crossbreed and other brands and the Raven is the best I've used. I carry an STI Trojan (5") EDC and have no issues. While you are at it pick up a two mag pouch and a good gun belt.
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holster ... ar-holster

tonzofphun

Post by tonzofphun »

+1 for crossbreed supertuck. Just make sure you don't forget about getting a proper gun belt.

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

I use a generic IWB kydex holster. It works fine. But I primarily use it for my compact. The difficult part for me to conceal is the grip. The shorter grip of the Officers frame makes it easier to conceal. Were I to carry a Government model I'd likely invest in a better holster such as a Super Tuck or a Comp Tac. But I'm a smaller framed guy, being only about 5' - 9" and 175#.

But I will also second the bit about getting a good gun belt. Tried just using some heavy 'cowboy' type belts, but they'd sag and stretch pretty much right off the bat. This allows the holster to shift around and makes carrying uncomfortable. The weight of a 1911 makes it even more important. I ruined a couple belts before I finally broke down and bought one (from a sponsor of another site I frequent, but is located in TX). Night and day difference in carrying. It's a little uncomfortable (as in, you KNOW it's there) until you get it broken in. The gun belt is STIFF so it's difficult to cinch it down properly the first few times. But I can carry my Stainless compact (and an extra mag carrier) all day comfortably without it shifting too much.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”