Short review: Sig P238

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Rex B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Short review: Sig P238

Post by Rex B »

Colt Mustang grips do not fit, not even close enough to modify.
Trigger and magazines interchange, don't know what else.
Probably FCG interchange OK, but I don't think the Sig has that little lever down in the magwell that is so troublesome on the Colt.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

They're listed under "Sig Grips".

http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/sig-grips-1/sig-p238-1
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

XinTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by XinTX »

The MUCH better half did the same thing. She checked out the 238 and it was the first pistol she could comfortably operate (rack the slide, etc). She's tiny and has almost no hand strength. She fell in love. Then she rented one at the Arms Room. Then a friend loaned us one to compare back to back with the P-380. And THEN she saw the Rainbow slide version and that was that. Early on, we had a few stovepipes. Since I replaced the spring with the new flat wire spring it's been pretty flawless. Wood grips for them are plentiful. I bought her a set of curly maple grips, but she likes the stock ones better as they're thinner and she has small hands. But if you want so really sweet grips, check out Customized Creationz. But Todd can hurt your bank account with all the goodies he has over there. I think he's making ambi safties for them now. http://www.customizedcreationz.com/p238woodgrips.html

And I hear you on how easy it is to conceal. Though I think one of the reasons she wanted the Rainbow model was to make sure I wouldn't 'adopt' it as a CCW or start taking it to the range while she's not watching.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

Some folks can use Colt Mustang magazines on their P238, but many others have issues with them. Sig has gone through 3 designs for the mag follower since using the original Colt design on the first. I cannot successfully use Colt mags on my P238, nor are the fist Sig magazines reliable in my gun. Below is a photo of the follower that causes issues, that is well documented on the Sig forum. The Sig magazine on the right is a duplicate of the Mustang mag and may cause issues in the P238. Note the very high rise on the follower. The one on the left is the second iteration of the Sig magazine (works well for me), and the 3d iteration I don't have a picture of, but they have proven the most reliable.

marinemom

Post by marinemom »

I used the Sig for my CHL test.. had to rent one..
it's an awesome gun and as soon as I can 'afford' one, I'll get it.
..money is sparce
Semper Fi

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

G26ster wrote:Some folks can use Colt Mustang magazines on their P238, but many others have issues with them. Sig has gone through 3 designs for the mag follower since using the original Colt design on the first. I cannot successfully use Colt mags on my P238, nor are the fist Sig magazines reliable in my gun. Below is a photo of the follower that causes issues, that is well documented on the Sig forum. The Sig magazine on the right is a duplicate of the Mustang mag and may cause issues in the P238. Note the very high rise on the follower. The one on the left is the second iteration of the Sig magazine (works well for me), and the 3d iteration I don't have a picture of, but they have proven the most reliable.

Scroll down to the last post in this thread to see a couple of pics of the 3rd generation magazine follower.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 25

Post by wgoforth »

Excaliber wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Nice gun and I'm glad you're happy with it.

Avoid trying a Kimber Ultra Carry until your bank account can handle the next upgrade. :mrgreen:
Actually the Kimber Solo looks interesting....
It is, but it would put you back into a long, relatively heavy trigger pull that will feel much worse now that you've experienced the delights of the SAO side.
The Sig 238 has an 8 lb trigger. The Taurus TCP has a 5 lb and Bodyguard an 8 lb... so not much difference in that catagory, but as you say, less travel.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Excaliber »

wgoforth wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

Avoid trying a Kimber Ultra Carry until your bank account can handle the next upgrade. :mrgreen:
It is, but it would put you back into a long, relatively heavy trigger pull that will feel much worse now that you've experienced the delights of the SAO side.

The Sig 238 has an 8 lb trigger
. The Taurus TCP has a 5 lb and Bodyguard an 8 lb... so not much difference in that catagory, but as you say, less travel.
An 8 pound trigger on a single action gun??!!

Definitely don't try a Kimber Ultra Carry - unless you can afford to buy one on the spot.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Domineaux
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Domineaux »

Thanks for your review, I've heard a lot of good stuff about these beauties.
Yeah the new flat spring is a must.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."
Houston Gunners: http://houstongunforum.com
Suggestions by Domineaux

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 25

Post by wgoforth »

Excaliber wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

The Sig 238 has an 8 lb trigger
. The Taurus TCP has a 5 lb and Bodyguard an 8 lb... so not much difference in that catagory, but as you say, less travel.
An 8 pound trigger on a single action gun??!!

Definitely don't try a Kimber Ultra Carry - unless you can afford to buy one on the spot.
Lol, keep in mind these are intended for pocket carry and not for matches, so I can understand why they want to give these a heavier trigger. Here are the specs from their website showing trigger pull (although it feels lighter than that to me) http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 8-sas.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

wgoforth wrote:Lol, keep in mind these are intended for pocket carry and not for matches, so I can understand why they want to give these a heavier trigger. Here are the specs from their website showing trigger pull (although it feels lighter than that to me) http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 8-sas.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I understand, and it makes sense.

You should still follow my previous advice unless you are ready to spend money.

A light SA trigger on a gun in a serious defensive caliber in an envelope only slightly larger and heavier than that pretty Sig you've got makes too much sense to walk away from once you've shot one.

Not to mention you can get highly reliable reasonably priced magazines for it in lots of different sizes and configurations almost anywhere all day long.

I know you want to stay happy with the little Sig, so just keep your distance from those seductive, homewrecking Ultra Carries. :mrgreen:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Excaliber wrote:
wgoforth wrote:Lol, keep in mind these are intended for pocket carry and not for matches, so I can understand why they want to give these a heavier trigger. Here are the specs from their website showing trigger pull (although it feels lighter than that to me) http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 8-sas.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A light SA trigger on a gun in a serious defensive caliber in an envelope only slightly larger and heavier than that pretty Sig you've got makes too much sense to walk away from once you've shot one.

Not to mention you can get highly reliable reasonably priced magazines for it in lots of different sizes and configurations almost anywhere all day long.

I know you want to stay happy with the little Sig, so just keep your distance from those seductive, homewrecking Ultra Carries. :mrgreen:
Will you stop? My wife is going to send you angry letters if I start drooling over a 1911 after having just gotten a Glock...and I already have Tomball Pawn sending me a quote for a Springfield Lightweight Champion, you know, just for "informational purposes". :mrgreen:
Psalm 91:2

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

SQLGeek wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

Will you stop? My wife is going to send you angry letters if I start drooling over a 1911 after having just gotten a Glock...and I already have Tomball Pawn sending me a quote for a Springfield Lightweight Champion, you know, just for "informational purposes". :mrgreen:
Tactical suggestion:

Let your wife shoot the 1911, and she'll start bugging you to buy it.

Of course, you'll be a nice guy and let her have her way..... :evil2:
Excaliber

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Excaliber wrote:

I have both an Ultra CDP II and a P238. Guess which one I carry? :evil2:

I like the P238 and I'm fine with its trigger. It is heavier than the 1911 trigger, but only enough to be safe for a pocket-able gun. It is still very crisp.

I just simply haven't found a need to pocket carry. Belt carry just isn't a problem for me. If I DID want to pocket carry, the P238 is what I would carry.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

My wife and I both have these great little pistols. Much more accurate than you would think and pleasant to shoot. While edc are Kimber Ultra Carries, the P238 is for pocket carry at times when regular carry is not feasible. An excellent carry choice for those circumstances.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”