Carrying gun not registered in your name.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Carrying gun not registered in your name.

Post by C-dub »

Dave2 wrote:
Mr.ViperBoa wrote:There is no telling how far big brother reaches. I have always thought maybe they want us to have chl's so they know who to come to first to seize weapons. Who knows.
I thought Big Brother was the Feds? The CHL program is a state thing.
"Big Brother" is any government level. The CHL program is only an indicator that someone might have a gun. It doesn't tell anyone what gun or guns anyone does have. Many have said here that if someone were to come knocking on their door demanding they turn over their guns they would be informed that they were either sold or stolen.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

CompVest
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CompVest »

Back to original topic please.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

In essence this is what we know:
There is no gun registration in Texas.
There are no consequences for carrying a gun that you did not buy through a dealer.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Winchster
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Winchster »

:iagree: My apologies for the tangent.
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Winchster wrote::iagree: My apologies for the tangent.
No it was me, I diverged first. Sorry.

But its still great living in Texas. Where it is still "land of the free" more than other states.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

jafreaka wrote:if I were to buy a gun from a friend or a person other than an FFL dealer the gun doesn't need to be registered in my name. Is that correct?
Not only is there no requirement to register a gun in Texas, there is no mechanism to do so.

"How do I register a gun I just bought?" is supposedly a common question posed to police departments. I've heard that some state has a database where people can voluntarily register their guns. I suspect this was in part so that the police had somewhere to point people who came in asking that question, rather than having to explain to people who were nervous about the government not knowing about their gun (Yankees :roll: ) that there is no registration requirement.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

hirundo82 wrote:(Yankees :roll: )
:thumbs2:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Upon further reflection, I think the only problems might be if your gun were used in a crime and LE knew it or if it has been stolen.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

My understanding of some issues regarding Form 4473 and what the feds
can/can't do with the data contained on them:

Form 4473 contains the buyer data for the original buyer of the gun from
an FFL. If the gun is later used in a crime, the LEO's can find out who
bought the gun new, then they have to follow the chain of ownership if they can
find all the owners.

When an FFL goes out of business, their paper 4473 forms go to the
federal facility in West Virginia.

The NRA had the federal laws structured so that the 4473 data is not allowed
to be entered into any sort of computer database.

So if gun tracing is attempted by the feds on guns sold by a gun shop that went
out of business, the feds must go through a large quantity of hardcopy 4473's stacked
in crappy boxes of varying descriptions to even find out the original owner.

We all know that manual processes will always be much slower than if the feds were
allowed to computerize the data.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Mr.ViperBoa wrote:There is no telling how far big brother reaches. I have always thought maybe they want us to have chl's so they know who to come to first to seize weapons. Who knows.
Unless you pay cash for everything gun related, big brother already knows you have guns, whether you have a CHL or not. He may not be putting this information together at the moment, but he's got it, or has access to it, and can put it together whenever he wants to.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

C-dub wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
I thought Big Brother was the Feds? The CHL program is a state thing.
"Big Brother" is any government level. The CHL program is only an indicator that someone might have a gun. It doesn't tell anyone what gun or guns anyone does have. Many have said here that if someone were to come knocking on their door demanding they turn over their guns they would be informed that they were either sold or stolen.
And they'll say, yeah, that's what you said you were going to say in your post on the CHL forum on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:51 am. Or they may say, then how come you just charged a new rifle scope on your credit card last week? Or, if things have gotten to the point where people are knocking on your door to get your guns, they may say, well then sir, come with us, you're charged with negligence for not properly securing dangerous weapons. But realistically, all this conjecture doesn't matter, because if someone shows up at your door looking to get your guns, they're not going to take your word for anything, they're going to tear your house apart looking for whatever they think you have, because at that point the US Constitution will be dead.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Most of my guns I bought new from dealers over the last 35 or so years. It's not something I lose a lot of sleep over but I wouldn't make the same mistake if I were starting over now.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

VMI77 wrote:And they'll say, yeah, that's what you said you were going to say in your post on the CHL forum on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:51 am. Or they may say, then how come you just charged a new rifle scope on your credit card last week? Or, if things have gotten to the point where people are knocking on your door to get your guns, they may say, well then sir, come with us, you're charged with negligence for not properly securing dangerous weapons. But realistically, all this conjecture doesn't matter, because if someone shows up at your door looking to get your guns, they're not going to take your word for anything, they're going to tear your house apart looking for whatever they think you have, because at that point the US Constitution will be dead.
What scope? Oh, yeah, that was a gift for a friend's birthday. :coolgleamA:

Yup.

Bart

Post by Bart »

It saves me the trouble of going looking for "them" if push comes to shove.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

"gun registration" = "illegal to own a specific gun unless you register it with the government"
...not even California does this, its legal to move there with guns or have guns you owned there before 1991.

Some states have purchase records (state level 4473) but dont' have registration because if you move there wiht your guns you don't have to register them.

I think NY NJ and HI are the only states taht require total handgun registration. Maybe MD, not sure.

If you can get a license to carry without bribing the sheriff or your state rep, your state doesn't have registration.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”