Need suggestion for a bad habit

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

comp73
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need suggestion for a bad habit

Post by comp73 »

Any chance you are cross dominant? shoot righty with a dominant left eye? I had a similar issue until I figured this out
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Kahrry
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Kahrry »

Ok, so hear's what I figured out. After attending the Defensive Pistol course from KR training, I found that my grip was all wrong. As a matter of fact, I found a lot I was doing wrong. My stance was a bit off and I was no where near close to gripping the gun correctly with my left hand (weak hand). This fixed my shot placement immediately.

I still need to train my muscles to automatically assume the correct grip once I draw from my holster but I've been working on it since the class. Basically, I have to retrain the past 25 years or so of muscle memory I developed from holding my first toy gun like Chuck Norris and the like did in the movies. I guess self-taught isn't always good :fire

Thanks for all the feedback and I'll keep practicing.
Kahr CW9
Springfield XD40 sub-compact

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

Kahrry wrote:Ok, so hear's what I figured out. After attending the Defensive Pistol course from KR training, I found that my grip was all wrong. As a matter of fact, I found a lot I was doing wrong. My stance was a bit off and I was no where near close to gripping the gun correctly with my left hand (weak hand). This fixed my shot placement immediately.

I still need to train my muscles to automatically assume the correct grip once I draw from my holster but I've been working on it since the class. Basically, I have to retrain the past 25 years or so of muscle memory I developed from holding my first toy gun like Chuck Norris and the like did in the movies. I guess self-taught isn't always good :fire

I hope Kahrry isn't your real name. It's never good to criticize Chuck Norris' teaching abilities on a public forum. You never know when he'll be reading it. :mrgreen:

Now I have a serious question. When say that your grip was "all wrong" exactly what was wrong with it? And what did you learn was the "right way" to grip a gun?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Kahrry
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Kahrry »

WildBill wrote:
Kahrry wrote:Ok, so hear's what I figured out. After attending the Defensive Pistol course from KR training, I found that my grip was all wrong. As a matter of fact, I found a lot I was doing wrong. My stance was a bit off and I was no where near close to gripping the gun correctly with my left hand (weak hand). This fixed my shot placement immediately.

I hope Kahrry isn't your real name. It's never good to criticize Chuck Norris' teaching abilities on a public forum. You never know when he'll be reading it. :mrgreen:

Now I have a serious question. When say that your grip was "all wrong" exactly what was wrong with it? And what did you learn was the "right way" to grip a gun?
Of course it's not my real name and I would never critisize Chuck Norris publically. I just hope he doens't track me down. :boxing

So my grip... I was placing my left hand too far around the front of my right hand. The heels of my hand were open and I was tucking my right thumb in under the heel of my hand. It's hard to describe but basically I was taught to lock my left wrist downward and point both thumbs forward. What made sense to me the most is when I was told that the majority of my grip should come from my left (weak) hand and the right hand should grip be be more focused on being the hand that operates the gun. I was also dragging the frame with my right trigger finger from time to time.
Kahr CW9
Springfield XD40 sub-compact

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”