HOA has a problem with new gun shop in Carrollton

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

beardking
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HOA has a problem with new gun shop in Carrollton

Post by beardking »

I ran across the DMN article on a motorcycle forum that I frequent and ended up running by on my way home from work on Thursday. Found a KelTec P11 that I think my mom would like and as she was coming down this weekend I figured we'd run by there. We ran by there yesterday and unfortunately they had already sold the little mouse gun. Maybe next time. :)

All in all I like the place and I really hope they do well, stick around, grow larger and tick off everyone in the HOA (but only in a legal manner ). The only complaint I have about the store is that the staff don't seem too well versed on gun safety. I say that because on my first trip there I looked at a couple of different hand guns and when the staff member handed them to me, he neglected to clear the weapon prior to handing it to me. When my mom and I went yesterday, a diferent staff member was showing us a couple of different guns and again, they did not clear the weapon prior to handing it over. Now, I know that this is a gun store and you can, for the most part, assume that the guns are all empty and the staff have taken all necessary prior precautions. That being said, anytime anyone hands me a firearm it is my belief that the person should drop out the magazine, lock the slide open, visually verify that the chamber is clear prior to handing the gun to me. I expect that of my wife, my brother, a vendor at a gun show or just plain anyone that is handing me a firearm (if I'm not at the range and we are about to kill paper).

Again, like I said, I like the place and I truly hope they do well, but I hope even more that they learn the simple rules of firearms safety.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

beardking wrote:I ran across the DMN article on a motorcycle forum that I frequent and ended up running by on my way home from work on Thursday. Found a KelTec P11 that I think my mom would like and as she was coming down this weekend I figured we'd run by there. We ran by there yesterday and unfortunately they had already sold the little mouse gun. Maybe next time. :)

All in all I like the place and I really hope they do well, stick around, grow larger and tick off everyone in the HOA (but only in a legal manner ). The only complaint I have about the store is that the staff don't seem too well versed on gun safety. I say that because on my first trip there I looked at a couple of different hand guns and when the staff member handed them to me, he neglected to clear the weapon prior to handing it to me. When my mom and I went yesterday, a diferent staff member was showing us a couple of different guns and again, they did not clear the weapon prior to handing it over. Now, I know that this is a gun store and you can, for the most part, assume that the guns are all empty and the staff have taken all necessary prior precautions. That being said, anytime anyone hands me a firearm it is my belief that the person should drop out the magazine, lock the slide open, visually verify that the chamber is clear prior to handing the gun to me. I expect that of my wife, my brother, a vendor at a gun show or just plain anyone that is handing me a firearm (if I'm not at the range and we are about to kill paper).

Again, like I said, I like the place and I truly hope they do well, but I hope even more that they learn the simple rules of firearms safety.
This is a faulty assumption. If they're visibly violating what you know to be the most basic rules of safety right in front of you, why would you believe they didn't do so before?

Any gun in my hands is my responsibility. I wouldn't hesitate to ask a clerk to clear a gun before handing it to me, and, even after he does so, I clear it myself again. I also wouldn't hesitate to speak to the manager about unsafe practices in a shop.

Negligence in these areas reflects on all of us when a preventable tragedy occurs.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

5thGenTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 5thGenTexan »

There is nothing to prevent some moron from slipping a live round into the chamber while looking at the weapon. Then that will give a can of gasoline to the anti's in the HOA. I talked to a guy at a shop one day that said they on occasion find rounds in guns that they cleared before handing then to a customer on a busy day, where the guy just lays it back on the counter & walks out while they were tied up with other customers. They clear them before putting them away as well as when they hand it to a customer.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

JPWDFW

Post by JPWDFW »

The managment at Big Slims would like to thank you for pointing out the unsafe gun handling practices that were encountered at the store. All staff have been reminded of proper gun saftey, and will be checking guns as they come out of the case, and when recieving them back.

Thank you all for your support and continued patronage.

Tregs

Post by Tregs »

JPWDFW wrote:The managment at Big Slims would like to thank you for pointing out the unsafe gun handling practices that were encountered at the store. All staff have been reminded of proper gun saftey, and will be checking guns as they come out of the case, and when recieving them back.

Hey guys. Welcome to the forum and to Carrollton. I'm glad to have you in the neighborhood. I've dropped by a few times and have enjoyed the visit. I'll introduce myself next time I stop by. Good luck with the new store.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

JPWDFW wrote:The managment at Big Slims would like to thank you for pointing out the unsafe gun handling practices that were encountered at the store. All staff have been reminded of proper gun saftey, and will be checking guns as they come out of the case, and when recieving them back.

Welcome to the forum!

Please go to the Introductions section and give us a proper intro. We want to know more about you!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

"Hi, My name is Ray and I am a 1911oholic. It has been 21 days since my last purchase."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”