Glock Haters?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

skub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Glock Haters?

Post by skub »

Ol Zeke wrote: I’m a 1911 guy. What can I say? I grew up with them. I learned, years ago, to work on them. I shoot reasonably well with them. I like ‘em….. OK, I luv ‘em…
Glocks came along and, well, they were….. PLASTIC! That can’t last! But, everywhere I turned, I was reading about someone putting thousands of rounds through one and it kept on tickin’!
Then, I ran across a used G26 at a gun show. I didn’t need it. I didn’t even really want it. But I bought it.
I shot it, and liked it. I tinkered with it and liked it. It was taking time away from my 1911’s and I got scared. I gave it to my daughter for her CCW.
I went back to my 1911’s. Happy, once again!
Well, I lasted about two months and got a G19…. OK, I’m weak. My wife shot it and liked it better than her XD so I got her a G26. After a while, all I was shooting or working on was the ugly ducklings….. Glocks!
I was feeling pretty guilty and decided something had to be done…. So I got a G36…. Well, at least I’m still paying some tribute to John Browning…..
When friends come over and want to see my guns, I show them a 1911. I can find tons of photos of my 1911’s to send to friends….. But….. right now…….. I'm carryin’ a Glock! ……. I’m so ashamed!

I Hate Glocks and what they have done to my relationship with 1911's!
See, there's your problem, right there - you went and shot one, and in so doing, lost your objectivity. :mrgreen:
Theologue at large
5th Generation Texan
CHL 05/04

USA1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by USA1 »

Ol Zeke wrote: :grumble I Hate Glocks and what they have done to my relationship with 1911's! "rlol" :fire
With comprehensive therapy and rehabilitation you can get past this very dark time.
It's never too late to get back on the right track and we will forget this ever happened. :evil2:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

I don't hate Glocks. They work.
I don't like the way they feel in my hand.
I don't like the way I am far more inaccurate when shooting them vs my other guns because of the aforementioned "fit" in my hand.
What I absolutely despise/hate......are the Glock fanboys.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

A-R
Posts in topic: 7

Post by A-R »

glbedd53 wrote:Not a hater but not really a fan either. I have never owned a newer Glock, I'm sure they have improved. Me and 3 other people I used to work with all bought them at the same time, early ones in about 90 or 91 I think. We all had reliability problems. Of the 3 I owned I still have a 21 and after 2 trips back to the factory it has not had a problem. I keep it because it does fit my hand and I like shooting it. I prefer a manual safety on my carry gun and I'm not the only one who feels that way. To me it's not a debate between Glocks and 1911's, it's Glocks or Sigs. Me and all of us that have bought Sigs have had no reliability issues with them, not even one.
You should try a Gen 3 model. Been around for more than a decade now and absolutely reliable.

Definitely agree that the real comparison is between Glock and Sig, not so much Glock and 1911. I think Sig is a phenomenal product. Doesn't fit my hand as well (more because of trigger pull weight/length on first shot) and I think they're comparatively overpriced. But they are top-notch firearms.

I guess it could be said that Glock, Sig, and 1911 are the three main categories of defensive semi-auto pistols available and everything else falls into one of those three categories (though perhaps H&K is a fourth category or even a hybrid of all three in some ways?)
G.A. Heath wrote:I forgot to add that I do hate the fan-boys for any gun. I like my Kimbers, my Springfield Armory XDms, my Rugers, my Smith and Wessons, my RIAs, ect. But you will not see me say anything to the effect of "If its no brand Z then its Junk" because all major name brands produce quality firearms and will stand behind them even though the eventual lemons do slip though. Glock Fan-Boys (and anti-glock fan-boys) seem to be the worse or the lot because they are so numerous while infecting every gun shop, forum, and discussion imaginable.
Completely agree with this statement. I do love my Glocks, but try not to be a fan boy about them. I love to shoot 1911s too when I get the chance and will own at least one some day. Have been very impressed with XDs I've shot (and might own an XD instead of a Glock had XDs been available in the 1990s).

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I, for one, want pretty. :lol:

And accurate, functional, reliable, comfortable, etc.

I would begrudgingly use a Glock if it fit me and worked correctly as aesthetics wouldn't outweigh functionality, no matter how ugly the thing is. But the Glock is really uncomfortable and top-heavy to me, so combined with how ugly and boxy and plastic the thing is, that's enough to not be a good fit for me.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I am at heart, a pragmatist. I went with the Glock 23 because of three factors. The .40 S&W is a proven defense round (think 1 shot and a 400# Samoan hits the deck), price (I had to save up for a carry weapon, sold some of my others to do so) and the capacity + reliability. I have a really nice 1911 that my uncle used to compete with, but it's ill suited to carry.

The Glock is stock, not very pretty but it fires each time, every time, is easy to maintain and I hold a 3-4" group at 25 yds with it. It is definitely not a show piece but it is an incredibly reliable tool, no more, no less.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

G26ster
Posts in topic: 9

Post by G26ster »

Once again I ask, are you simply fondling them at gun stores and gun shows and basing decisions on that? Or, have you actually shot them before you decide they're not for you? Just sayin'

Keith

Post by Keith »

I guess im just have some mental issues because I love all guns. I dont own a glock for same reasons the 1911 and my XD fit me better. I shoot my best with the 1911. Im convinced thats because its a SA trigger. When I want it to go bang it does no long trigger pull.

My son is looking at new handguns and when we went to the shop we looked at of course 1911s,Glocks and XDs. I carry a Sig P238 and a Ruger LCP as a bug. Occ I also carry my S&W .357 revolver. Like I said luv them all. I agree the one thing I dont like is the fan-boys of any gun.

I think alot of neg talk comes when the fan-boys pipe into a post about how something is the best no matter what. Or wont even think of owning anything else because there so close minded. I love the my cousins-uncles friend has 3 and all jam :rolll. Or I own a certain gun with 25000 rounds shot and has never had a FTF or SP. :rolll
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

G26ster wrote:Once again I ask, are you simply fondling them at gun stores and gun shows and basing decisions on that? Or, have you actually shot them before you decide they're not for you? Just sayin'
Are you asking me? I'm using my husband's. I'll end up shooting it, but it has a pretty steep hill to climb for me to choose that one. I'd have to really hate the other ones I will try.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

G26ster
Posts in topic: 9

Post by G26ster »

Hoi Polloi wrote:
G26ster wrote:Once again I ask, are you simply fondling them at gun stores and gun shows and basing decisions on that? Or, have you actually shot them before you decide they're not for you? Just sayin'
Are you asking me? I'm using my husband's. I'll end up shooting it, but it has a pretty steep hill to climb for me to choose that one. I'd have to really hate the other ones I will try.
No, it was a question to the forum. If I never fired one, and continued to reject it on feel or looks alone, I would not have the most accurate pistol for me in "my" hands at this time. Just suggesting a "test drive" before discounting Glocks based on looks or feel. ;-)

I guess what I'm really saying is that I haven't heard much of, "I've shot Glocks, and I'm not as accurate with them as I am with....." Seems to be all about looks and feel.

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

G26ster wrote:
I guess what I'm really saying is that I haven't heard much of, "I've shot Glocks, and I'm not as accurate with them as I am with....." Seems to be all about looks and feel.
Well,now you can say you've heard it from me.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

.30calSolution
Posts in topic: 6

Post by .30calSolution »

They're ugly, they point high, they have mushy triggers, and they have plastic sights. They also mess up my brass. Oh and did I mention they are the ugliest things I have ever seen. The actual production costs have been estimated at around $100 per pistol , so I have read, that's a nice profit margin, but you could have guessed that by the looks. They use cheap polymers and the little bendy thingy in the trigger that's a safety or some such will chew the crap out of your finger after 50-100rds at the range. I forgot to mention the barrels, don't even get me started.

With that being said they also have a very short trigger reset, reliable, durable, low bore axis, and a very good tennifer treatment.

You just won't catch me shooting one. There are a ton of Glock fanboys and I think sometimes people pick on the brand just to ruffle their feathers.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

G26ster wrote:
Hoi Polloi wrote:
No, it was a question to the forum. If I never fired one, and continued to reject it on feel or looks alone, I would not have the most accurate pistol for me in "my" hands at this time. Just suggesting a "test drive" before discounting Glocks based on looks or feel. ;-)

I can be almost as accurate with my Glocks as with my 1911's, but not both as accurate and as fast. The biggest hurdle for me is the fact that the grip angle on the Glock is different than 1911's and my draw stroke does not put the front sight on the target, as with a 1911. Well, I have to add that there is no comparison between triggers.

There is one time when I wish I had been shooting one of my Glocks, or XD . . when cleaning my 1911's!!

Chas.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

The first pistol that *I* bought was a Glock 17 (2nd Gen I believe), I've had for 14 years or so. It was my primary carry weapon up until I *finally* got my Bullman holster for my Kimber (a few months ago). It's performed flawlessy and taken alot of abuse. It's an accurate and sweet shooter. It's bone stock. The second pistol that I bought was a Kimber Compact Aluminum, I bought it a year or two after buying the Glock 17, so I've had it for 12-13 years. It's been quite the pistol. Accurate as the day is long. It's now my primary carry due to comfort, concealability, night sights, etc.

So I'm on "opposite" ends of the pistol spectrum so-to-speak LOL. Do I like one over the other? No. I like (love?) them both. I love the high capacity of the Glock (17+1), it's accurate but not as accurate as my Kimber, that baby is a TACK-DRIVER! How accurate? Well, the groupings with my Glock would make any gun enthusiast proud but the groupings with the Kimber are just better. Both guns shoot very differently...well, because they are quite different. Would I sell/trade either of them? No, well, I might trade the Glock 17 for a 19 with night sights. That's all I'd do, seriously.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”