Shooting a BB gun in back yard

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

saltydog452
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shooting a BB gun in back yard

Post by saltydog452 »

It isn't the concern of anyone as long as the projectilres remain on my property. Noise isn't a problem.

When the kids were doing HS ROTC, we had a 10 meter (kinda) firing lane down the hallway and in the back yard. No doubt, had they known about either, someone at some Social Service Agency or another would have had a hissey-fit.

Wayward child #2 is well on his way to 'legging out'.

Both firing lanes were probabally illegal, but I didn't bother the nice folks at the Bachman Lake/North West
sub-Station by asking their permission.

salty

Dirty Bob

Post by Dirty Bob »

An air rifle fired from inside your house, through an open window or door, at a target outside, will capture much of the noise, if the gun muzzle is inside the house. I once knew a retired Master Chief Gunner's Mate (SEAL) who kept his fruit trees free of starlings by shooting through an open window, with the air gun entirely within the house. This was in uptight, heavily-regulated Southern Calif. (El Cajon, CA).

A neighbor had a rather complete air rifle shooting gallery in his garage, when I was a kiddo. He also would practice his archery in his driveway, with the backstop and targets in the garage, at the back wall.

Stay safe.

Regards,
Dirty Bob
http://mousewithagun.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HankB

Post by HankB »

I was about 4yo when Dad bought me a BB gun - a Daisy styled like a pump-action shotgun; "pumping" the gun worked a linkage that looked sort of like an upside-down Luger toggle to cock the gun.

He set up a range in my backyard with a tarp or heavy blankets as a backstop - this stopped the BBs from bouncing. (They DID bounce from plywood.) A modern spring-piston airgun requires a considerably more robust backstop.

This was in Chicago :shock: and there were never any problems until some kid down the block got a BB gun and started roaming the neighborhood . . . at which point my range moved down to our basement.

As a previous poster wrote, if you shoot through an open door or window and keep the muzzle well within the house, nobody else will know. (Heck, put a boom box on the back patio at moderate volume - that will mask what little noise escapes your house.)
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

mgood

Post by mgood »

I had my own .22 rifle and .410 shotgun before I was allowed to have a BB gun. My dad, who was very strict about gun safety, was afraid that if I had a BB gun, it would be a "toy," and didn't want me thinking of guns as toys.
My grandfather bought me a BB gun for Christmas. My parents were concerned that my friends and I would shoot each other with BB guns, which, of course, we did. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”