Best .40 S&W to carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Best .40 S&W to carry

Post by A-R »

The Glock "c" models are "compensated" with a ported barrel and slide. This allows some of the gas from the cartridge to escape up out of the ports, thus pushing down on the front of the firearm and "compensating" for the muzzle flip inherent with all defensive-caliber handguns. This is supposed to help with accuracy and speed of follow up shots.

I've never personally shot one, but the caveat to these has always been explained to me that the escaping gases can burn you if you're somehow directly over them when gun fires (like in a struggle with a bad guy). Most "professionals" don't recommend these guns for concealed carry/defensive purposes for this reason. I've also read that ported barrels can put off extra "flash" at night, which can "night blind" the shooter, hindering ability for follow up shots and/or multiple target acquisition.

Glocks in .40-caliber can easily be converted to .357 Sig by switching the barrel. The same mags can even be used (though be sure you remember which caliber you have in the mags). I think most guns can be made to do this relatively easily because a .357 Sig cartridge is "simply" a necked down .40 cartridge with a .357 bullet. So the general size of the cartridges is similar enough to work equally well in a gun designed for .40 or .357. Only the barrel needs to be different because of the smaller diameter of the .357 bullet.

There are a number of good options in different sizes and calibers for a BUG. Ask 10 people and you're likely to get 10 different answers. Glock 27 is a fine pistol. Not extremely smaller than a 23, but definitely smaller where it counts (shorter barrel, shorter grip) to make for easier concealment. However, it is exactly the same thickness as other .40-cal Glocks. The 27 is considerably smaller when compared to a Glock 22.

Good BUGs in no particular order (off top of my head):

* small revolver, 5-shot - S&W, Taurus, Ruger
* Kahr MK and PM series, also K and CW series (slightly larger)
* Walther PPK .380 or similar sized Bersa Thunder .380
* Sig P238 .380 (new gun, duplicate of discontinued Colt Mustang .380)
* Kel Tec
* Ruger LCP

This site has a great chart showing relative size of "mouse guns" or "pocket guns" compared to a full-size Colt 1911. Puts all of this in great perspective. http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also this link from same site shows the Glock 27 relative to some other smaller guns (width being the big difference). http://www.mouseguns.com/pocksize.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember, the smaller the gun, the more severe the felt recoil with the same cartridge

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

As long as you are looking, don't skip over the Browning Hi Power in .40. It is a very reliable, sleek, concealable gun. And it also will take .357 Sig barrels if you are so inclined. (For that matter, you can get 9mm and a ciener .22 barrel/slide and have four calibers off of one platform).

Also -- I second NOT getting a ported barrel for a defense gun. I bought one before I realized what problem it was, and I regretted it. As noted above, not all shots are taken at arms-length -- you should be able to shoot as soon as the muzzle clears the holster, and with compensation ports this will indeed direct hot gas and shaved bits of copper right up into your face. My wife got a nice nick right beside her eye, inside her shooting glasses, from exactly this. Also, in low-light, you really don't need a bit jet of flame jumping into your line of sight when shooting.

Happy hunting.
USAF 1982-2005

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I have a Sig P229r that I love, but I doubt I would carry it. It's a bit bulky and heavy. You've gotten some great advice in the thread. Get what shoots good and feels good. Think about the weight you'll be carrying all day.

As mentioned before, be sure to shoot before you buy. I tend to make impulse buys and did so when I bought a 9mm Glock. It felt good at the store so I bought it. It never felt comfortable to me when I shot it. I'm not saying Glocks aren't good. Just saying it wasn't right for me. The Sig is perfect for me though. It's the best I've ever shot. But that's just me.

In case you're interested, my Sig is a .357 Sig and I added a .40 barrel since I already had a .40 and the ammo.
Charlie

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

H&K makes .40 cal. pistols, and some of the 1911 manufacturers produce models in .40 cal. too.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've carried my Glock 27 for several years now. I also used to have the extension on a couple of mags. Right from the start I didn't like the way it felt, but thought I should give myself time to get used to it. I never did. One day at a range a couple next to me was trying there 27 out for the first time. We talked a bit and they asked about the extensions. I let them try one and they liked it. I said that I didn't and if they were interested in a trade I would just trade them even up. They went for it and we traded two mags. It was more than just a feeling for me. I shot better without the extension.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

for a high quality "compact" model, I don't think you can beat the Sig P239 in .40 S&W. You can also get the .357 Sig barrel for the P239 (.40 cal frame...NOT the 9mm frame). The Sig is a bit "wide" for me for IWB carry, but I make it work pretty often because I think so highly of the gun in general. I also have a Kahr CW9 (not the 40) that is really great for IWB carry, and bought it on the recommendation of a friend that carries a Kahr CW40... same size gun as the CW9. Both the Sig and the Kahr are compact models, thus single stack magazines. Personally I don't feel undergunned with a single stack in either of the two.

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

jsimmons
Banned

Post by jsimmons »

I have the XD40 Service (4-inch barrel). One of the benefits of this pistol is that you can convert down to 9mm for about $280 (half the price of the pistol) - even less if you use the factory recoil spring. This will allow you to practice with less expensive ammo, and during post-range cleaning, you can swap back in the .40 gear for carry.

I took my new XD to the range this weekend and put 200 rounds through it without a single malfunction. My 1911 wasn't that reliable out of the box.

I'm sure the other polymer pistols are equally easy/inexpensive to convert and are at least as reliable, but I have a XD, so that's what I'm commenting on.

My only advice is that you should go to a local gun store and actually grip each pistol that ends up on your short list. More often than not, your selection will come down to what pistol feels the most comfortable to *you*.
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

My favorite is the glock 23. I'm thinking of picking up a G27, a bit smaller and easier to conceal.

Estand

Post by Estand »

I use a Kahr P40 and S&W M&P 40 compact depending on clothing and season. Both very reliable and accurate.
The Kahr is less than one inch width and extra mag is thin single stack. The M&P mag is a double stack so it is a little thicker.

Try what fits your hand is my best starting advise. I was "sold" on getting an XD until I went to go buy one and found that it didn't fit my hand nearly as good as the two above. I have smaller hands. That and a good fitting holster (I ended up making my own Kydex IWB) I found are the two biggest factors for me.

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

I like my Glock 27 more everytime I go to the range; I still find myself surprised at how accurately it shoots, given the short barrel...and after several hundred rounds of mixed ammo, still waiting for first failure to feed or eject. I also have pearce grip extensions (a +1 and a +2) on both of the factory magazines; made a big improvement in how the gun fits my hand. I'm a believer!
Dave :txflag:

Rifleman55

Post by Rifleman55 »

Which ever gun that you choose remember that the smaller guns are harder to shoot accurately, they have small grips and short sight radius, they also recoil a lot more. So if you buy little shoot it until you can be comfortable with it and hit what you are looking at. I carry a Springfield micro- compact in .45 acp.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I figure accuracy at greater than 10 yards in a defensive situation is a moot point. When plinking around with a friend on his property I hit a gallon milk jug at about 75-80 yards with my g27 about 50% of the time, but when will that ever be required? I'm comfortable with it and practice getting it on target ASAP in the different methods of my carry.

My wife used to ask me why I keep looking around when walking anywhere. When I was in the Navy I worked on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and in order to survive your head pretty much has to be on a swivel. Being aware of my surroundings since getting my CHL has not been much different.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JackRR

Post by JackRR »

C-dub wrote:I've carried my Glock 27 for several years now. I also used to have the extension on a couple of mags. Right from the start I didn't like the way it felt, but thought I should give myself time to get used to it. I never did. One day at a range a couple next to me was trying there 27 out for the first time. We talked a bit and they asked about the extensions. I let them try one and they liked it. I said that I didn't and if they were interested in a trade I would just trade them even up. They went for it and we traded two mags. It was more than just a feeling for me. I shot better without the extension.
For whatever reason I shoot better without the extension also. The G-27 is my main carry unless I can get away with the G-17.
My backup mag is a 13rd. Looking to buy a 15rd in the near future. Too big?

Otto N. Sure

Post by Otto N. Sure »

Howdy! I haven't seen mentioned my favorite, the CZ 2075 RAMI. This is an outstanding firearm that is available in both 9 mm and 40 S&W. Additionally it's also available with a polymer frame or an alloy frame. It's a stunning and very affordable firearm for you to consider. If you're unfamiliar with the CZ 2075, here's a picture of my RAMI:

Otto

Life Member: NRA; Single Action Shooting Society. Forum Moderator: CZForum.com

mblud

Post by mblud »

Carrots wrote:the "r" designation just indicates that the pistol has a light rail. I believe that the 229r is the standard 229 these days. Look over the models on the Sig website. I carry a H&K Usp Compact in 40.
I would have to vote for the USP also. I have the full size .40 and it is a fantastic shooting firearm. :fire
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. Samuel Adams

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”