Situation is causing me to rethink carrying capacity

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott
Posts in topic: 2

Situation is causing me to rethink carrying capacity

Post by Scott »

I'd like to add to all the recent talk about switching to 9mm from whatever caliber your carrying now. As a lot of you have been doing, I have thought about switching from carrying a 40 and going back to just 9mm. A few weeks back I observed a guy pointing a Glock at another person. As if that wasn't enough, what really got my attention was the 33 round magazine sticking out of the end of the gun. Gun was pointed sideways, no doubt. It's also not the first time that I have ran across this. Usually a banger caught with it in a car. Anyway, just wanted to add something else to think about. As for the situation, no one was harmed.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Situation is causing me to rethink carrying capacity

Post by nightmare69 »

Kinda hard to conseal with a 33rd mag sticking out the back, may be a bit unconformable driving also.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think there is a 31-round one for the .40 if you'd like to go there and not switch back to 9mm.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Scott wrote:I'd like to add to all the recent talk about switching to 9mm from whatever caliber your carrying now. As a lot of you have been doing, I have thought about switching from carrying a 40 and going back to just 9mm. A few weeks back I observed a guy pointing a Glock at another person. As if that wasn't enough, what really got my attention was the 33 round magazine sticking out of the end of the gun. Gun was pointed sideways, no doubt. It's also not the first time that I have ran across this. Usually a banger caught with it in a car. Anyway, just wanted to add something else to think about. As for the situation, no one was harmed.
Did you call the cops?

Also, keep in mind that the majority of gun fights only last 2-4 rounds. But, there's no such thing as too much ammo. I carry 15+1 in a Glock 19 plus an extra fully-loaded mag of 15 rounds. Not so much for firepower, but just in case I need to clear a malfunction with the main magazine, I can swap them out.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

C-dub wrote:I think there is a 31-round one for the .40 if you'd like to go there and not switch back to 9mm.
Who makes the 31 rounder? All I have is the 22 round mags.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Who makes the 31 rounder? All I have is the 22 round mags.
not Glock :-)

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/-31-Roun ... -p2297.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://glockparts.com/detail.aspx?prod=156645&manf=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Okay. I might look at the one, but I have had no good results buying Korean mags. Only ones I have used that seem to work are M1 Carbine mags.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Is 40 poorly placed rounds of 9mm going to make up for 5 well placed rounds of .357?

I'm not making fun of capacity, but all the capacity in the world won't make up for A) poor judgement in where you go, and B) poor shot placement if trouble finds you anyway.

I do appreciate the capacity argument, and I capacity-up or down according to where I'm going, how far from home I'll be, and how long I'll be away. BUT..... there is a limit to how much I am willing to carry. "[F]or God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." (2 Timothy 1:7)

With that in mind....... I have two "hi-cap" guns at my disposal. One is my XD(M)45-Compact 3.8. It has a 9+1 magazine, and a 13+1 extended magazine (I have two of those). If I carry both extended mags, I have 36 rounds of .45 ACP on hand, but I almost never carry both. If I need more than that, I need an AR15, not another pistol magazine. The other "hi-cap" gun is a Glock 19, with 31 rounds of 9mm. If I need another 15 rounds, I need an AR15.

If you need LOTS of rounds, then no handgun is going to fill the bill, and you need an AR15 and several 30 round mags. Well, that doesn't really work for me as a daily carry strategy. I think an AR SBR or AR pistol stored in your vehicle is a great idea......but I'm talking about what you can carry on your person, and still look like a harmless person, hiding in plain sight, without drawing attention to that pair of 3-gun sextuple magazine holders bulging out the sides of your windbreaker.

33 round magazines are fine in a standoff, but they are too much for most people to carry around.....and that's 9mm. A 31 round mag of .40 weighs more, and a 27 round mag of .45 even more yet. It's just not practical for most of us.

Some people are fond of saying that you never wish you had less ammo in a firefight. But I'm even more fond of saying that I don't live and move in such a way as to get into firefights. I really do think that it is possible to take things too far, and to let your fears govern your actions. This is not denial. This is trying to live without a spirit of fear. The nation has some serious challenges from potential terrorists, and from criminals sneaking across a border that the feckless moron in the White House refuses to defend because he is trying to build his party the illegal way.......literally. But, the likelihood that any of it will affect any one individual of us today any more certainly than it would have 5 years ago, or 10 years ago, is slim. Whatever the risks were to you a decade ago, that is pretty much the risks to you today.

Dress accordingly. For me, that usually means either a 5 shot .357 plus a reload, a 5+1 shot .45 plus a backup 7 rnd mag, or a 9+1 shot .45 plus a backup 13 round mag. I simply refuse to live in fear of the boogyman.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

patterson

Post by patterson »

I agree with Annoyed Man

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I'm with TAM. Calm, methodical, well placed shots will give one the best chance of surviving an incident.

I wonder if they make these for 1911's...
III

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

A pistol is not a SMG. I carry a minimum of 31 rds of 9mm. If you need more, then you are fighting a war. Run for your rifle hide.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Let's not forget Travis Dean Neel who saved the life of Harris County Deputy Sheriff Flores. Flores was attacked by four men and shot five times. Neel fired 39 shots using 3 fifteen round magazines to drive off the attackers. Most of that was suppressive fire.

Would he have preferred a rifle? Sure. But he used the tools he brought to the party.

Is a defensive gun use with 39 shots fired unusual? Of course .... But it is not unheard of.

Carrying, whether 5 rounds or 50 rounds, is not about living in fear. It is also not about probabilities, as none of us are likely to require armed defense. It is simple prudence and preparedness, no different from a kitchen fire extinguisher or stocking hurricane supplies. Where we draw the line at number of rounds is entirely individual. Personally, I prefer erring towards the higher end of the range.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Jumping Frog wrote:Let's not forget Travis Dean Neel who saved the life of Harris County Deputy Sheriff Flores. Flores was attacked by four men and shot five times. Neel fired 39 shots using 3 fifteen round magazines to drive off the attackers. Most of that was suppressive fire.

Would he have preferred a rifle? Sure. But he used the tools he brought to the party.

Is a defensive gun use with 39 shots fired unusual? Of course .... But it is not unheard of.

Carrying, whether 5 rounds or 50 rounds, is not about living in fear. It is also not about probabilities, as none of us are likely to require armed defense. It is simple prudence and preparedness, no different from a kitchen fire extinguisher or stocking hurricane supplies. Where we draw the line at number of rounds is entirely individual. Personally, I prefer erring towards the higher end of the range.
Great points. The guy that runs the LegallyConcealed Youtube channel recently made a point that statistics don't matter. And by that I infer that he meant probabilities don't matter. When it happens to you, it's 100%. It's not a 15% chance, or a 1 out of every 500 people statistic. It's 100% you, right then and there.

I think it's amazing how Neel was able to out-gun four hardened criminals just by having some extra capacity.

Also a note about having a rifle. If you have time to go get a rifle, chances are you're able to exit the situation safely and you're able to get to a safe place. Unless, of course, you're law enforcement. For the most of us, our handgun is what we've got, and whatever capacity we bring with us is what we'll have when stuff hits the fan.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Is 40 poorly placed rounds of 9mm going to make up for 5 well placed rounds of .357?

I'm not making fun of capacity, but all the capacity in the world won't make up for A) poor judgement in where you go, and B) poor shot placement if trouble finds you anyway.

I do appreciate the capacity argument, and I capacity-up or down according to where I'm going, how far from home I'll be, and how long I'll be away. BUT..... there is a limit to how much I am willing to carry. "[F]or God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." (2 Timothy 1:7)

With that in mind....... I have two "hi-cap" guns at my disposal. One is my XD(M)45-Compact 3.8. It has a 9+1 magazine, and a 13+1 extended magazine (I have two of those). If I carry both extended mags, I have 36 rounds of .45 ACP on hand, but I almost never carry both. If I need more than that, I need an AR15, not another pistol magazine. The other "hi-cap" gun is a Glock 19, with 31 rounds of 9mm. If I need another 15 rounds, I need an AR15.

If you need LOTS of rounds, then no handgun is going to fill the bill, and you need an AR15 and several 30 round mags. Well, that doesn't really work for me as a daily carry strategy. I think an AR SBR or AR pistol stored in your vehicle is a great idea......but I'm talking about what you can carry on your person, and still look like a harmless person, hiding in plain sight, without drawing attention to that pair of 3-gun sextuple magazine holders bulging out the sides of your windbreaker.

33 round magazines are fine in a standoff, but they are too much for most people to carry around.....and that's 9mm. A 31 round mag of .40 weighs more, and a 27 round mag of .45 even more yet. It's just not practical for most of us.

Some people are fond of saying that you never wish you had less ammo in a firefight. But I'm even more fond of saying that I don't live and move in such a way as to get into firefights. I really do think that it is possible to take things too far, and to let your fears govern your actions. This is not denial. This is trying to live without a spirit of fear. The nation has some serious challenges from potential terrorists, and from criminals sneaking across a border that the feckless moron in the White House refuses to defend because he is trying to build his party the illegal way.......literally. But, the likelihood that any of it will affect any one individual of us today any more certainly than it would have 5 years ago, or 10 years ago, is slim. Whatever the risks were to you a decade ago, that is pretty much the risks to you today.

Dress accordingly. For me, that usually means either a 5 shot .357 plus a reload, a 5+1 shot .45 plus a backup 7 rnd mag, or a 9+1 shot .45 plus a backup 13 round mag. I simply refuse to live in fear of the boogyman.
When I'm in the mood for revolver carry and less concerned about concealment, it's 8 rounds of .357, plus two speed loaders, for a total of 24 rounds....though sometimes I don't bother with the speedloaders.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

mr1337 wrote:I carry 15+1 in a Glock 19 plus an extra fully-loaded mag of 15 rounds. Not so much for firepower, but just in case I need to clear a malfunction with the main magazine, I can swap them out.
A+, correct answer!
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”