Need advice for new handgun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Mage218
Posts in topic: 3

Need advice for new handgun

Post by Mage218 »

Before I start, please don't shoot me for causing any debates on which is better. I have tried to narrow it down myself, but both are damn good pistols and if I could get both I would..but unfortunately i can't. So...Glock 19 or S&W M&P :leaving . I chose these 2 because out of all the firearms ive looked at and considered, these 2 are probably the ones id most likely shoot at the range and actually train with.

Current CCW is a 1911 Govt. No issues in concealing it, want something a little lighter, and hopefully more comfortable to carry in the summer.

~M&P would be a full size, as I do not like the grip on the compact.

~The 19 gen 4 fits my hand really well, but around me seems to cost more than the M&P.

My concerns with the M&P is the trigger. I have read and seen many video reviews that just bash the trigger. I personally didn't have an issue with the one I shot, but it was a range rental, so theres no telling how many rounds have gone though it. The reset is hard to feel/hear, but once I learned how far forward it was, I just did it by feel of my trigger. Not a big deal, but coming from a 1911, I like that felt reset.

With the Glock, I haven't shot a 19 yet(shot a 17 years ago) so, i don't know how the trigger is, but it seems most people love it. The one thing I am wondering is if there is a big difference between the gen 3 and gen 4. Mainly grip angle. I have held both, but most the gun stores I have visited either have a gen 3 or gen 4, so I cant compare side by side. The range has a Gen 4 to rent, so I would like to know if they are similar because I'd hate to shoot and like the gen 4, buy a gen 3 and turn out to not like it.

Again, not trying to turn this into a Glock M&P debate, I just can't make up my mind on which to buy, so I figured I would ask the people that carry in the same state as me. All comments, criticism, and other gun options are welcome. Oh, Im working with a $600 budget. Can get gen 3 glock 19 or M&P for $499 cheapest I found.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need advice for new handgun

Post by tbrown »

sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I carry my mid-sized M&P 40 on occasion. I enjoy it except for the few times I bend over to that side & catch the beavertail right in the side. Which, other than the beavertail, its nearly identical in size to my Compact .45 (I'm contemplating taking it to a smith & having the beavertail removed). I prefer the grip angle/ergonomics of the M&Ps vs Glock.

You can't go wrong with either. Both are proven . . . but only one is built in America! ;)
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

as you have said, both are good guns

I have own both.... Well, my wife owns the G19, but its still in the family, right?!

My personal favorite is the M&P

it really comes down to what you want.
None of us can decide for you, as you have already looked and both, and know both are good.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

chevy or ford?
'got to Texas ASAIC.

patterson

Post by patterson »

a 1911 trigger is hard to beat

Topic author
Mage218
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mage218 »

Thanks for the replies. Going to try to get back to the range tomorrow and rent the G19, and maybe re rent the m&p so i can get a side by side comparison.

In reply to aaangel, Chevy, hands down. Love my truck..even though it was made in Canada :grumble

spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

As far as grip angle between generation three and four Glocks, it is the same. However, Gen 4 guns come with four additional backstraps (two with beavertails and two without) so that you may increase the size of the grip. The Gen 4 G19 will also have a dual recoil spring designed to reduce recoil. Other differences between the two are ambidextrous magazine release and grip texture.

If you were to join Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF) on a two-year membership ($60) you will receive a coupon for the purchase of a new Glock at GSSF pricing (roughly $425 at most participating retailers (GT Dist is a good example)).

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Glock 19! :tiphat:

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

carlson1 wrote:Glock 19! :tiphat:
This! No other gun can compare! You would be crazy to get anything else ;-)

Seriously, a G19 is a great choice. It was my carry choice until I got its baby brother, the G26. But either of your finalists are fine choices. I would pick the one that felt best in my hand, had the trigger pull I liked and I shot the best. Both are quality, reliable firearms. It boils down to personal preference.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I went through this a few years ago. I really liked both the M&P 9 and the G19. The M&P I tried was a little gritty with the trigger but I still shot it pretty well. I shot the G19 just a little better and liked its slightly larger size compared to the 9c. I ended up choosing the G19 but it was almost a toss up. The M&P's trigger is what pushed me towards the Glock. I do think the M&P 9c is a great size between the G19 and G26 for carry and if I had to choose again for a double stack primary carry gun, would probably take the 9c over the G19. Especially if the 9c had an improved trigger.

I did pick up a Shield last year and that trigger is far better than the M&P I tried out. That's become my primary carry gun though I still carry my Glock when my clothing permits. I am now eyeing an M&P 45 full size over the Glock 21 for home and range use as I understand their later models have started incorporating the better trigger from the Shield. So I can't really make my mind up either.

When I was trying guns I rented a Gen 3 G19 but ended up buying a Gen 4. I liked the rougher grip and the interchangeable backstraps but there is a slight difference in grip between the two.

What I'm trying to get to is that you're going to have to shoot both, see which you like and shoot better and decide what role you need the gun to fill. The G19 does well as a primary home and range gun that I can also carry.
Psalm 91:2

kattzoo

Post by kattzoo »

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Carried a Glock 19 for years (many years ago) and loved it. It was my duty weapon, and I never had one problem with it. Currently I own two of the smaller guns. I couldn't resist the new Glock 42 since I had been so fond of the 19. I also have a M&P Shield 40. I absolutely love it. I have one complaint, and it's the magazines are stiff. Really stiff. Shoots like a dream. You may just have to, pardon the pun, pull the trigger and pick one. I don't think you'll be unhappy with either.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've carried Glocks for almost 12 years now. I started with the full size and subcompact .40's and switched to the full and subcompact .45's a couple years ago. I don't have and have never shot one of the 9mm's, but am thinking about getting either the 17 or 34 for competition for both me and my daughter when she's ready to move up from a .22. As an aside, she already shoots a full size 1911 in the form of the Colt 1911-22, so she's used to a full size grip. It is a tiny bit big, but she'll probably shoot only that handgun for another year or two before going up to anything else.

Anyway, with Glocks, I don't know why anyone would want to carry the mid size. I understand it is a little bit smaller, but unless your hands are too big for the subcompacts I'd just go with them for carry and carry one or two full size mags for spares. That's the cool thing about Glock mags. The larger ones will fit in the smaller ones of the same caliber. My vote is for the subcompact Glock 9mm for concealability with one or two full size mags for spare(s).
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have the M&Ps because of the grip angle (among other things) as it is close to the 1911 and I shoot both. The Glock is a fine pistol, just did not care for the grip angle (even if I did not have 1911's). The triggers on the M&Ps can be improved and made to be very nice. You can also put a full size magazine in a compact M&P and there is an adapter that you can put on the full size magazine to fill the gap. That gives you a smaller package to conceal, no beavertail on the grip and the ability to bring more ammo with the full size magazine if you so desire.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”