NRA Member
Glock 19 G4
CHL App Submitted: 12/17/13
Plastic In Hand: 2/11/14

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 5

Re: EDC of a fixed-blade knife in the pocket

Post by K.Mooneyham »

TxLobo wrote:I don't think that carrying a knife shaped like a "bowie" is illegal so much..

case law from Mireles v State 1917 gives the definition of a bowie knife:

[ Image ]
Not quite sure how you found that, but very nice. Its still my concern that such information would be great for a defense attorney to get the charges dropped after you had taken a ride "downtown". And as we have been told several times, never argue with the arresting officer, always do what they say. So this information wouldn't be of much help as the cuffs go on.

Please don't take this as being against you, I'm just frustrated by some of these laws and how our system works sometimes.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

I have an A.G. Russell fixed-blade knife. The blade is 3" long, not bowie-shaped or double-edged and the sheath (made of some synthetic) has a push-button release. It looks for all the world like a paring knife. And it does fit in all my pockets. So, I wonder if some LEO is going to find this knife "objectionable" if I pull it out of my pocket? I know, I know--it will all depend on which LEO, the situation, and the location. And although push-button knives are legal in Texas, I know that San Antonio has a local ordinance prohibiting carry of push-button knives and any knife with a blade over 3" in length. But is my fixed-blade knife with a blade no more than 3" illegal in SA? And I assume that other cities have their own laws concerning knives. This means that, in order to carry legally everywhere, one would have to know the local ordinances of every city in Texas. Ridiculous! Maybe we need to push our legislators to make the state laws apply everywhere.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Is it too soon to start thinking about the 2015 Legislative session?

My first priority would be passing Mr. Cotton's bill that allows CHL's to carry everywhere a police officer can carry.

My second priority would be converting a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) to a CWL (Carrying Weapons License). I'd like to be able to carry other alternatives including but not limited to a knife of my own choosing or a baton. If I can be trusted to carry a handgun, why should my knife blade matter?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Crash wrote:I have an A.G. Russell fixed-blade knife. The blade is 3" long, not bowie-shaped or double-edged and the sheath (made of some synthetic) has a push-button release. It looks for all the world like a paring knife.
My CHL instructor had something that fits your description, I don't remember the brand. He wore it around his neck.
NRA Endowment Member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Jumping Frog wrote:Is it too soon to start thinking about the 2015 Legislative session?

My first priority would be passing Mr. Cotton's bill that allows CHL's to carry everywhere a police officer can carry.

My second priority would be converting a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) to a CWL (Carrying Weapons License). I'd like to be able to carry other alternatives including but not limited to a knife of my own choosing or a baton. If I can be trusted to carry a handgun, why should my knife blade matter?
I like both of those ideas. Additionally, I'd like to see the state get pre-emption on knife laws, the same as it has on firearms laws. That way, the local ordinances would be a moot point. As always, the important aspect should be on how the knife is used (that is, not used in a violent or threatening manner), not on what it looks like. The Marines in WWII used their K-Bars for utility knives as much as anything else. I've read that where Army troops came into contact with Marines in the Pacific, they'd often try to trade something for a K-Bar because they were just great useful knives.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

WildBill wrote:
Crash wrote:I have an A.G. Russell fixed-blade knife. The blade is 3" long, not bowie-shaped or double-edged and the sheath (made of some synthetic) has a push-button release. It looks for all the world like a paring knife.
My CHL instructor had something that fits your description, I don't remember the brand. He wore it around his neck.
I think I'll just carry it in my pocket, hope for the best, and not lose any sleep over local ordinances.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Jumping Frog wrote:Is it too soon to start thinking about the 2015 Legislative session?

Great ideas, both of them. How do I sign up to support them?

Crash

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

Crash wrote:Great ideas, both of them. How do I sign up to support them?
The first step is stopping the Democrats from reelecting Joe Straus as Speaker of the House in 2015.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

gringo pistolero wrote:
Crash wrote:Great ideas, both of them. How do I sign up to support them?
The first step is stopping the Democrats from reelecting Joe Straus as Speaker of the House in 2015.
I'll go along with that! Since gun-control laws (and knife-control laws for that matter) don't prevent criminals from obtaining and using firearms illegally, what good are such law?s (never mind, I know the answer to that question....)

Crash

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

That's an interesting citation but practically speaking I think most people would say a KA-BAR is "not commonly known as a pocketknife" even on the rare occasion it is carried in a pocket.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I like the idea of a Concealed Weapons License like some other states have. However, with a CHL you prove that you are proficient enough with a handgun to carry it. How would you prove that you're proficient with a baton or knife or sword?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”