Good Ballistic Software

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AggieMike
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Good Ballistic Software

Post by AggieMike »

Does it have the Sierra 220 Grain .300 Win mag in it?
I don't carry my 40 all the time, just when I leave my home!

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCannon »

I've loaded 220gr Sierra HPBT, 208gr Hornady A-Max, and Berger 230gr Hybrid OTM Tacticals. They all shoot great and will easily reach 1000yds without needing compressed loads. However, the 230gr Bergers have shown absolutely AMAZING performance even in the 2600-2800fps range. They scoff at crosswinds and seem to fly at the target with a vengeance. I don't say this often, but I LOVE those Bergers :lol:

P.S. - Compared to a .338 Lapua shooting 230gr bullets, they will outperform (or match) the performance of the .338 out to 1500yds. Considering that the operational cartridge cost of 300WM is about 50-100% less than .338 Lapua, I'm going to stick to 300WM :mrgreen:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
AggieMike
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AggieMike »

You nailed it and that is exactly why I went .300 Win Mag. Once I read the specs on the 220 Grain testing that was done head to head with the .338 it was about 15 pounds less energy than the 250 Grain .338 at 1500 yards. That and I don't see Lapua ammo getting any less expensive either. I don't do my own loading, so I'll have to take a look at who has the Berger too. Still pushing several different rounds through it to find the one I like best.

Thanks for the input!
I don't carry my 40 all the time, just when I leave my home!

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

Higher BC is all what matter to combat wind drift and with heavier load higher BC is possible.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCannon »

AggieMike wrote:You nailed it and that is exactly why I went .300 Win Mag. Once I read the specs on the 220 Grain testing that was done head to head with the .338 it was about 15 pounds less energy than the 250 Grain .338 at 1500 yards. That and I don't see Lapua ammo getting any less expensive either. I don't do my own loading, so I'll have to take a look at who has the Berger too. Still pushing several different rounds through it to find the one I like best.

Thanks for the input!
Let me know if you have questions about reloading 300WM. I'm starting to get a reputation in this area for making some jaw-dropping-accurate handloads now :mrgreen:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

roughneck266
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roughneck266 »

suthdj wrote:Strelok for android
This.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”