Urgent: XDs recall...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Urgent: XDs recall...

Post by bagman45 »

Haven't sent mine in yet, as I was afraid of something like this. Will continue to wait until the dust clears and reviews come back from those who have had their "upgraded". Never had a problem with mine, so would prefer to wait as opposed to take the risk that they NEVER find a fix and DON'T return them. That said, once good reviews give the "all clear", I'll send it in, but not until. As Reagan said; "trust, but verify"..... :biggrinjester:

GlockDude26
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GlockDude26 »

i'm not sure what the protocol for posting links are but the yankee marshall on youtube did a video explaining the reason for the recall. Long story short if the grip safety is not depressed when racking the slide the trigger doesn't reset. that causes the internal mechaism and grip saftey to not engage and if you rack the slide on a live round there's nothing engaged to stop the primer from being struck and sent down range. watch the video for clearer explanation! to me i had two of these and never had a problem because everytime the slide was racked i had a full grip on the gun with the grip safety pressed in, which is basic common sense.... that being said I may try and pick one up on the cheap if someone doesn't want to bother sending it back to SA!
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Teamless
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Teamless »

Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:f the grip safety is not depressed when racking the slide
You have to depress the grip safety to rack the slide.
So unless there is a defect that allows you to rack the slide without depressing the safety, then it is a moot issue.

Unless that is the actual recall, the slide can be racked without the grip safety depressed
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Seventhsword
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Seventhsword »

I'll be waiting till next spring-summer to send mine in.....
Seventhsword
NRA Life Member, CHL

Shoot_First

Post by Shoot_First »

Teamless wrote:
Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:f the grip safety is not depressed when racking the slide
You have to depress the grip safety to rack the slide.
So unless there is a defect that allows you to rack the slide without depressing the safety, then it is a moot issue.

Unless that is the actual recall, the slide can be racked without the grip safety depressed
Per the video you have to depress the grip safety to rack the slide on an XD or XDm, but not so on the XDs hence the problem where the trigger does not reset resulting in the potential for a slam fire when the slide goes forward. It is an XDs design defect that should have been detected during testing. I hope the "upgrade" does not ruin a fine pistol.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Shoot_First wrote:but not so on the XDs
Well I guess then my habit that I learned on my XD9, transferred subconsciously to the XDS as I always did depress the safety on the XDS when I racked it.
League City, TX

Shoot_First

Post by Shoot_First »

Teamless wrote:
Shoot_First wrote:but not so on the XDs
Well I guess then my habit that I learned on my XD9, transferred subconsciously to the XDS as I always did depress the safety on the XDS when I racked it.
After I viewed the video, I wondered why anyone would grip the pistol without depressing the grip safety. In the video, he holds it by the lower end of the grip below the grip safety. Possible, but not in the usual manner. I have never gripped my XD 45, XDs, or even my 1911s that way to rack the slide.

Waiting on SA's Friday update shortly... hope it is something concrete and positive...getting tired of the marketing fluff.

ATDM
Posts in topic: 54

Post by ATDM »

Shoot_First wrote:After I viewed the video, I wondered why anyone would grip the pistol without depressing the grip safety. In the video, he holds it by the lower end of the grip below the grip safety. Possible, but not in the usual manner. I have never gripped my XD 45, XDs, or even my 1911s that way to rack the slide.
I always depress my grip safety, yet my XD-S slam fired. You can read about the incident and responses here: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I cling to my God — Jesus Christ.
I love my wife and kids.
I am proud to be an American and Texan.
And... I cling to my guns.

Shoot_First

Post by Shoot_First »

ATDM wrote:
Shoot_First wrote:After I viewed the video, I wondered why anyone would grip the pistol without depressing the grip safety. In the video, he holds it by the lower end of the grip below the grip safety. Possible, but not in the usual manner. I have never gripped my XD 45, XDs, or even my 1911s that way to rack the slide.
I always depress my grip safety, yet my XD-S slam fired. You can read about the incident and responses here: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I recall reading about you killing your mattress. Seems it was ruled a justified shoot. Interesting though that your XDs slam fired WITH the grip safety depressed. Was your trigger finger indexed?

Shoot_First

Post by Shoot_First »

We are pleased to announce that our testing was successful and is complete.
We will receive our first shipment of upgrade parts early next week and will begin shipping upgraded XD-S™ pistols back to our customers the week of October 21 on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.
To ensure our customers are continuously informed of our progress, we will provide website updates every Friday until all of the pistols are back in the hands of their owners.
We are confident that you will be extremely pleased with your upgraded XD-S™ pistol and we wish to express our deep gratitude to all our valued customers who have demonstrated such patience, support and loyalty to Springfield Armory®. As a small token of our thanks, we will be enclosing an XD-S™ extended magazine with X-tension sleeve with each pistol we return.
Today SA update.

krieghoff
Posts in topic: 6

Post by krieghoff »

Looking forward to getting my 2 back and trying them out. :thumbs2:
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

NordicTexan
Posts in topic: 8

Post by NordicTexan »

We are pleased to announce that our testing was successful and is complete.

We will receive our first shipment of upgrade parts early next week and will begin shipping upgraded XD-S™ pistols back to our customers the week of October 21 on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.
From the Springfield Recal Update site.

Not much info, but potentially good news. :tiphat:
NRA,
Sons of the American Revolution
Go Vandy

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

There is a bit of info still missing, which I have just asked them about in email:
1 – How long will the repair take, - per gun?
2 – How do we know where our weapon is in the sequence of received guns, 1-500 received, 501-1500 received, etc.
3 – will you have some sort of “tracker” to know if you are currently in repair status of the 1-500, or 1501-3,000, etc?
4- how many have been received so far, this may encourage others who have not returned theirs yet, to know when they feel they should send theirs in, other than “they should do it now”, as many people I know of are keeping theirs until they get a feel for how long it will take.
League City, TX

NordicTexan
Posts in topic: 8

Post by NordicTexan »

:totap: I would also like a bit more of an explanation of what happened and what was fixed? I mean, obviously I am going to take the gun apart when it gets home and see what they did, so why not just tell me ahead of time? It would get a lot better customer experience if they were a bit more transparent with this. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that there might be light at the end of the tunnel, but I would like a little more info.
NRA,
Sons of the American Revolution
Go Vandy

ATDM
Posts in topic: 54

Post by ATDM »

NordicTexan wrote::totap: I would also like a bit more of an explanation of what happened and what was fixed? I mean, obviously I am going to take the gun apart when it gets home and see what they did, so why not just tell me ahead of time? It would get a lot better customer experience if they were a bit more transparent with this. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that there might be light at the end of the tunnel, but I would like a little more info.
They have that info on the FAQ page now (not in the update). It's pretty specific.

http://www.springfieldrecall.com/Recall%20FAQ.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And... I cling to my guns.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”