Smith & Wesson M&P 40 - Advice?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 40 - Advice?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a M&P45. The slide is melonite coated stainless steel. No rust to worry about. I'm not a fan of the .40, but love me some .45.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

What kind of advise can I give? I own two full size M&P 40 and a M&P 40c the wife has a M&P 9JG. I really like the grip and the ergonomics of the M&P. The 40 is my favorite carry caliber. Why the 40? Mainly because I have gotten to like the round, my favorite carry load is Federal HST 155 grain because it mimics the performance of the .357 Magnum my all time favorite.

I have an XD, Glock 19, SIG, HiPower, two 1911s and several wheel guns. The 40 gets my vote 9mm or .357 Magnum as a backup or alternate primary. I don't carry the 1911 pistols or the HiPower. I prefer point 'n shoot better than cocked 'n locked. YMMV :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Don't know about the M&P 40 but I don't ever remember my M&P 9c failing to do anything but go bang, eject the casing and load. It has been flawless no matter what I feed the thing and it feels great in my hand.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
Pecos
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Pecos »

How about the M&P .45? are they pretty good for carry gun? Im getting a new pistol around x-mas & just checking things now. I love 9mm but have 2 of those calabers. So far I like the ful sized XDs & the M&Ps. I like carrying ful size pistols. I currently carry the Glock 17 gen 4.
Open for suggestions. Thanks. :thumbs2:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

Pecos wrote:How about the M&P .45? are they pretty good for carry gun?
If you have carried the full size 9 or 40, they are the exact same size and length (within a quarter inch anyway)
weights, fully loaded are comparable
the only significant difference is round count

the 9 is 17+1
the 40 is 15+1
the 45 is 10+1
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LAYGO »

I've got an M&P 45 Compact that I love. I've had an FTE but it was after about 800-900 rounds (over several months) of some DIRTY ammo. Otherwise, I would bet my life on the reliability.

I've also got an M&P .40 Mid. It's not that big of a difference in size between my 45c. I got it used, but unfired for about $100+ off. It's not my EDC, it's the beside.

I've got a M&P Shield 9mm arriving tomorrow at my FFL. It's for the lil lady as she hates her Bersa Thunder .380. I might relegate that to my car BUG.

I've been EXTREMELY happy with my M&Ps & would highly recommend them to anyone. I too agree that they are top of the line right now as the "American Glock". The fit in the hand is amazing & it has a VERY NATURAL point of aim.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Never shot one, but I know guys at APD that had to switch to them and they like them.

Topic author
Pecos

Post by Pecos »

I'm saving now for my next gun. I really like the M&P 40. But I have the Glock 17 &22 which I love. Im carring the G22 Gen4 right now. Now Im thinking along the line of a compact gun for different carry situations??? :headscratch

Topic author
Pecos

Post by Pecos »

LAYGO wrote:I've got an M&P 45 Compact that I love. I've had an FTE but it was after about 800-900 rounds (over several months) of some DIRTY ammo. Otherwise, I would bet my life on the reliability.

I've also got an M&P .40 Mid. It's not that big of a difference in size between my 45c. I got it used, but unfired for about $100+ off. It's not my EDC, it's the beside.

I've got a M&P Shield 9mm arriving tomorrow at my FFL. It's for the lil lady as she hates her Bersa Thunder .380. I might relegate that to my car BUG.

I've been EXTREMELY happy with my M&Ps & would highly recommend them to anyone. I too agree that they are top of the line right now as the "American Glock". The fit in the hand is amazing & it has a VERY NATURAL point of aim.
I had a chance to check one out at Academy & tIt fits my hand very well. I really like the way it feels. If it shool as well as my Glock 22 Gen4 then Ill really love it. Do they make a smaller version other than the shield?

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

I have an M&P40C bought from another TCHL member and it has been rock solid, well constructed and not one hiccup. Finally broke down and bought an IWB Kholster holster for it - Now if I can just find some spare mags in stock I'll be set. I optimistically ordered some mag pinky extensions in the event all I could find were standard magazines - so far no luck on either mag - or should say at a price I would pay.

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LAYGO »

Pecos wrote:
LAYGO wrote:I've got an M&P 45 Compact that I love. I've had an FTE but it was after about 800-900 rounds (over several months) of some DIRTY ammo. Otherwise, I would bet my life on the reliability.

I had a chance to check one out at Academy & tIt fits my hand very well. I really like the way it feels. If it shool as well as my Glock 22 Gen4 then Ill really love it. Do they make a smaller version other than the shield?
Here's a great review of G17 G4 vs M&P 9FS (Full Size). The last few seconds of the video say it all:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Topic author
Pecos

Post by Pecos »

LAYGO - Thanks for the link. that review was awesome. Im still thinking the M&P 40 is the one-But buy the time I have enought money saved up who know what I will get.
:biggrinjester: Im convenced the M&P 9 & 40 are reliable guns now. Thanks to you all.
There are so many gun I want out there -I WANT THEM ALL!!!!!! "rlol" :smilelol5:

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I've carried a M&P40C for about 3 years now. I can't say enough good things about it!

I love it and I hear the new ones are even better!
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I had been carrying Glocks. After shooting a friends M&P I had to have one.

I have a M&P 9, M&P 9 compact, M&P .45 compact, M&P Shield, and I like them all.

Topic author
Pecos

Post by Pecos »

carlson1 wrote:I had been carrying Glocks. After shooting a friends M&P I had to have one.

I have a M&P 9, M&P 9 compact, M&P .45 compact, M&P Shield, and I like them all.
I think I am going to get the M&P full size. Not it's narrowed down to M&P 9 or M&P 40.
Both my Glocks (9mm &.40) are really awesome & I shoot them both well. HELP! Im like a kid at the candy counter!!!! "rlol"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”