Posts in topic: 3

Re: Pictures Of Your Daily Carry

Post by slowrey »

Here's mine:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 38

Post by The Annoyed Man »

green2145 wrote:I'm probably one of the few that carries a full size 1911 but I love it.
I don't mind carrying my full sized 1911 on hunting trips and such, but I carry strictly OWB or with a shoulder holster rig these days...never IWB....and I find that any shirt that is long enough to conceal the bottom edge of my Galco Concealable Belt Holster (http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?P ... &GunID=157) is pretty much too long. I own several IWB holsters, but I can't wear any of them anymore because of back issues. Plus, mine is a steel-framed Springfield Loaded model (http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=4), so it weighs a full 40 oz with one empty mag. Add in one or two backup mags to supplement the meager magazine capacity of a 1911, plus the total weight of either 17 or 25 rounds of 230 grain ammo (I use 8 round Cobra Mags from Tripp Research), and you've got a total package what weighs an awful lot for all-day-every-day carry. That's why I bought several other polymer framed .45s to flesh out my carry rotation.

By comparison, my XD(M)-45 Compact 3.8 weighs either 27 oz with the empty 9 round mag, or 29 oz with the empty 13 round mag. (To put that into perspective, the difference in unloaded weight between my Springfield 1911 and my Springfield XD(m) is equal to the weight of my Scandium J-Frame .357 snubbie. In other words, I could carry both the XD(m) AND a .357 magnum BUG and not exceed the weight of the 1911 by itself.) And, with the 9+1 capacity of the short mag and the 13 round back up mag, I've got nearly the round capacity of a 1911 with TWO backup mags, with only one reload necessary, all in a more easily concealable package. It's true that the 1911 is flatter and maybe a little more comfortable because of it; but in terms of practical concealability, the double stack XD(m) is smaller overall in length and height and easier to hide.

My M&P45 Full Sized weighs 29.6 oz without the 10 round mag. Add in the weight of the 10 round mag, and you've still got a gun that comes in under the weight of the all steel 1911 with its one 7 round magazine. My M&P is my "war gun." It's about the same size as the 1911 except that the slide is marginally wider. If I had to soak both guns in mud and then fire them, I'd have more confidence in the M&P functioning reliably than the 1911, even though under normal circumstances the 1911 is perfectly reliable. I actually shoot the M&P slightly more accurately than I do the 1911. I can't say if that is me or the gun, and it's not that I'm a horrible shot with the 1911....I'm just better with the M&P. Curiously, other than having a slightly wider grip due to being a double stack gun, the M&P's ergonomics are very "1911-like" in terms of grip angle, sight picture, etc., etc. Mine is the thumb safety model, and even the thumb safety levers are where you would expect to find them on a 1911.....the difference being that the M&P's slide can still be cycled with the thumb safety engaged, which has certain advantages.

My Kahr CW45 weighs 19.7 oz, and the 6 round mag weighs another 2 oz......and it's no bigger than my old 3" Kimber was and even weighs a little less. It also benefits from having "1911-like" ergonomics—if you discount the long smooth trigger pull and the fact that it is striker fired.

As you can see, I'm partial to carrying .45s, and have 4 of them in various formats. I love me some 1911 and always have. I even have my father's WW2 sidearm 1911—a 1943 vintage Ithaca in about 95% or better condition. But the only one I ever owned which made sense to me as a day-in-day-out carry weapon was that 3" Kimber. The reason I sold it has nothing to do with whether or not I liked it. I just wanted to buy an XD(m), and I promised my wife I'd sell a gun to pay for it. That Kimber, as much as I liked it, was the one gun I could sell easily and ask a decent price for it, and I figured that if I was going to be down to one carry 1911, I should keep the 5" because......well, because there are few things in life better than a good running 5" 1911. Interestingly, each of the polymer-framed .45s I've bought shares some features with my 1911s, either in ergonomic items like grip angle, or in mechanical features like the thumb safety on my M&P or the grip safety on my XD(m).

As much as I love my 1911s, they have not turned out to be that practical a choice for me for daily carry....at least not the full sized steel framed ones. But if you're able to pull it off, you're a fortunate man indeed. JMB pretty much got everything right with that pistol, which explains its longevity and relevance, even in today's world. Good for you.

Edited to add: I see that green2145 deleted his post before I could finish submitting mine. Oh well....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 7

Post by schufflerbot »

in response to TAMs post (didn't quote to save space) - I just sold my compact 1911 and purchased a XDs in .45 ACP.

i tried to justify it for almost a year but, in reality, it was just too heavy and bulky for my preferred method of dress... shorts and t-shirt in the summer.

probation_officer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by probation_officer »

Mine when I get my card.
Attachments
gun.jpg
gun.jpg (4.81 KiB) Viewed 3123 times

slowrey

Post by slowrey »

carlson1 wrote:I thought it would be fun to view our likes and dislikes. If you are afraid of revealing your "secret" then you do not have to post.

[ Image ]

HK P7M13; 1 Extra Mag; Fox Spray; S&W 340PD (Crimson Laser Grips) with a speed strip.
Love that P7M13!

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

Sig P232 in a Blackhills IWB

Also pocket carry a Ruger LCP - it's just so convienient

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

boxermoose wrote:Sig P232 in a Blackhills IWB

[ Image ]

Also pocket carry a Ruger LCP - it's just so convienient
Really like that setup, been looking for a 232

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

Not too fancy, but functional...

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

DANG! There are some really nice handguns here . Mine are old and plain . CZ 82 and Ruger LCP 380 .

jtran987

Post by jtran987 »

slowrey wrote:Here's mine:

[ Image ]
[ Image ]
nice gun i wish i never sold my p7m8

Lucky Luke

Post by Lucky Luke »

Watch out for the Volvo..........it's a killer! :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana

SATX-Scrub wrote:Just wanted to show off my new RGrizzle mag holder. I went with IWB snaps since it'll probably be competing for space on my belt with my iPhone. I swear this guy is a genius when it comes to making holsters.

[ Image ]
Life time NRA

Lucky Luke

Post by Lucky Luke »

This is one of my EDC set! I like it.
Attachments
IMG_3760.jpg
Life time NRA

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

Here are my Sig P226 Navy, my P7M8, the two lefty IWB Comp-Tac holsters and my Safepacker from Wilderness Tactical which I sometimes use.

I've owned the Sig for ten years or more and carried it most of the time before my permit expired. I also have the P7M8 which is the most left handed friendly pistol I could find after extensive testing. I'll be carrying that until I get moved as I've sold all my 10 round magazines for the Sig and have 18 rounders waiting for me when I get to the new home. :clapping:
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”