moving to the dark side. can you help?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
liberty2014
Posts in topic: 2

moving to the dark side. can you help?

Post by liberty2014 »

Howdy! Im a huge glock fan boy and thats the gun i plan to carry when i get my plastic. I am in the market to eat my words and pick up a 1911. Naturally i have some questions. Whats a 1911 that holds more than 13 rounds? I dont want to spend more than $1,100 so les baer, sti, and ed brown is not an option for me. I want to stay with the big names like colt, sig, remington, rock river, s&w, rueger, fnp, hk, browning. I heard they are a pain to clean, any advice on a model that doesnt take an hour and countless nutnfancy videos to clean? Any and all input is appreciated. God bless and gig em

md30
Posts in topic: 1

Re: moving to the dark side. can you help?

Post by md30 »

I know you said you want to stay with the big names, but I personally have had a Taurus 1911 for several years and a few thousand rounds and have never had any problems with it. Personal opinion again, but they are easy to clean. Breakdown on a 1911 is pretty much the same regardless of manufacturer. I just looked at the Taurus website and the MSRP on them right now is ranging from $850 to $975. That is just my 2 cents on a good but less expensive 1911. As far as having more than 13 rounds that is more a magazine issue than a weapon issue. I personally have not seen 1911's with more than 8 rounds average, but I will never claim to call myself an expert. Others with more 1911 experience than me might have better info for you.
Semper Fidelis

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

Para Ordnance make the Warthog series which has a 10 round magazine. Goes for around $900. Never had the Warthog series but did have a Para GI Expert which was a good full size 1911 that held an 8 round mag.
CHL since 01/26/09

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

This may be what you are looking for. http://www.para-usa.com/2013/-/uploads/ ... cSheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Sidro wrote:This may be what you are looking for. http://www.para-usa.com/2013/-/uploads/ ... cSheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's cool. I wonder how wide it is compared to my .45 Glocks.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

I have two ParaOrdinance single stack 1911's with the LDA trigger.
I like single stack because my perception is it's less obvious. Well, I was very paranoid about printing when I started. The LDA trigger is much better IMO than the triggers I tried with Glock, Sig, and SA. Not to say you can't tune any trigger, the Para LDA was good for me out of the box. I like double action and I understand you can really mess up a Para if you fire it single action. So, I don't. If you want a Warthog I think you will like the Para LDA.

You're looking at $700 to $1000 for a big name gun. I want to recommend you try out several before you buy.
Hope that helps,
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

RAM4171
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Post by RAM4171 »

Springfield also makes a double stack, as well as Rock Island. I almost picked one up last year, but decided it was too bulky for my taste

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spr ... tedIndex=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/hand ... ical-1911/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

If you're looking for more capacity in the 1911 field, you'll have to look for a double-stack. And after handling a few single-stacks, I'd guess that a double would be enormous but not completely unmanageable. I would advise renting a couple before laying out that much cash.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

karder

Post by karder »

I have carried plenty of 1911s and I love them. I personally like Colt and if you shop around, you may be able to find a model in your price range. Double stacks are pretty wide and heavy. I tend to think that they would be a pain to conceal in the summer when you can't comfortably wear a jacket. I think it would be easier to carry a couple of spare magazines on your belt. When I carry my Colt or Kimber I put two spare Wilson magazines on my weak side. The whole package carries comfortably and gives me 25 rounds of .45. Hopefully that will be enough to extract me from any bind I get myself into! Good luck with your search!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

snakeyez78

Post by snakeyez78 »

I know you mentioned that the like of STI and others are priced to high for your wishes.. but have you looked at the STI Spartan ? sub $800 and shoots like a dream, not a double stack only 8+1, but IMO when I do carry it, I just carry a few extra 8rd mags.

That being said, carrying a full size of any type can be a task, esp in the hotter months. I often carry my LC9 over my G30, G17 or 1911's, it just so much easier to carry and conceal. and I always carry a spare mag or four loaded with +p's ;) no matter what I carry.
~B

“This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.” “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts.”

“I'm not a lawyer and I did not stay at a holiday Inn last night...”

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

Para Warthog. Small, compact, 10+1 capacity.

I was trying to set a link for Para's website for more pictures but it seems as if it's doing a redesign overhaul and wont be active til this month. Here is a picture to show you what it looks like.

http://www.impactguns.com/para-ordnance ... 10110.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers.
We don't need no stinking badges!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I know that the larger framed Paras will take 13+1 rounds. That said........and this is coming from someone who loooooooves the 1911 platform....I don't think that the 1911 is a good first time carry gun unless you've already got a lot of experience with the platform. My first carry gun was a 1911, but I had owned and shot one for years before I got my plastic.

If you're not familiar with the 1911 platform, then any of the point and click interfaces—Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD/XDm, Kahr, Walther, and others will provide you with a variety of double stack or single stack options, trigger pulls, etc., etc., and a much simpler manual of arms.

That said, everybody should own at least one 1911, but if I may compare guns to cars, your double stack polymer framed guns are the family station wagons of the gun world, while the 1911 is the Ferrari. It's not a good idea to learn to drive in a Ferrari either.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

I love both of my Para 1911's I have a Tac Four 13+1 .45 and a Carry 9 8+1 9mm

My wife loves the .45 as the additional weight really makes it comfortable to shoot but I stopped carrying it as a double stack .45 gets pretty hefty and wide!

The LDA trigger is phenomenal, but beware you will need to get +10% mag springs and possibly a stiffer recoil spring for it to be 100% reliable. I have replaced all my springs and have shot 1000's of rounds through my .45 and over 500 through my 9mm and they are fantastic.

Para Model numbers are as follows P10=10rds P13=13rds P14=14rds etc etc.. Depending on if you want full, commander or compact Para probably has something for you.

My Tac Four is a P13 with 4.25 commander length match grade barrel designed for conceal carry.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =331901626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gundealeronline.com/Para-Ord ... datac4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've carried my Para Ordnance 14.45 in the summer with shorts and (loose) tshirt. Conceals just fine so long as I have a quality gunbelt holding it up.

A Para 14.45 with two spare mags is 43 rounds of .45 ACP goodness, but it is also heavy and requires proper support: gunbelt and holster.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jumping Frog wrote:I've carried my Para Ordnance 14.45 in the summer with shorts and (loose) tshirt. Conceals just fine so long as I have a quality gunbelt holding it up.

A Para 14.45 with two spare mags is 43 rounds of .45 ACP goodness, but it is also heavy and requires proper support: gunbelt and holster.
Don't forget the suspenders, weight-lifter's back brace, and a high-rise crane. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”