Moderator: carlson1

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why do I need an assault rifle?

Post by G26ster »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
jmra wrote:
RottenApple wrote:
jmra wrote:Pop quiz...what does the "AR" in "AR-15" stand for?
ARmalite.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
Kinda, it actually stands for Armalite Rifle.
Well according to Armalite, AR does stand for " Armalite" not Armalite Rifle. From this PDF (page 2)

http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/ ... PY%202.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Early Colt AR-15s, their magazines, and their operators manuals were marked with ArmaLite’s name. Colt’s
retained the AR-15 designation on commercial rifles. To this day Colt’s has a model designation with the letters
AR, which stands for “ArmaLite”.

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

G26ster wrote:
Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
jmra wrote:
RottenApple wrote:
ARmalite.
Well according to Armalite, AR does stand for " Armalite" not Armalite Rifle. From this PDF (page 2)

http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/ ... PY%202.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Early Colt AR-15s, their magazines, and their operators manuals were marked with ArmaLite’s name. Colt’s
retained the AR-15 designation on commercial rifles. To this day Colt’s has a model designation with the letters
It doesn't really matter. It's 2013, everyone gets an A for participation.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

jmra wrote:
G26ster wrote:
Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
jmra wrote:
RottenApple wrote:
ARmalite.

It doesn't really matter. It's 2013, everyone gets an A for participation.

hehe That's funny right there!! I salute you sir. :txflag:
TSRA Life Memeber

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I remember back all these years ago in the late 60's, when my then wife's twin sister's boyfriend, later my bro-in-law, a SEAL officer who had led patrols in VN, was heaping praise on a weapon he referred to as a "Stoner." I kinda wish they had stuck with that and let it go from there.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

howdy

Post by howdy »

JALLEN wrote:I remember back all these years ago in the late 60's, when my then wife's twin sister's boyfriend, later my bro-in-law, a SEAL officer who had led patrols in VN, was heaping praise on a weapon he referred to as a "Stoner." I kinda wish they had stuck with that and let it go from there.

Quiz #2 (Not fair if JALLEN answers) Why was it call a "Stoner"
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RottenApple »

howdy wrote:
JALLEN wrote:I remember back all these years ago in the late 60's, when my then wife's twin sister's boyfriend, later my bro-in-law, a SEAL officer who had led patrols in VN, was heaping praise on a weapon he referred to as a "Stoner." I kinda wish they had stuck with that and let it go from there.

Quiz #2 (Not fair if JALLEN answers) Why was it call a "Stoner"
Designed by Eugene Stoner.

strider67

Post by strider67 »

SF18C wrote:
Now if you want to ask why one should have a modern sporting rifle with a standard capacity magazine that is a whole other response.
The reason I need a modern sporting rifle with a standard capacity magazine is because I don't have one. I am trying to remedy that right now with the help of some very wise Forum counsel...
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

JALLEN, this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_63 ) may have been what the SEAL officer was referring to as a "Stoner".

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Gordie Howe wrote:I do think riots will happen when the economy collapes; so do I need one when an entire Section 8 Housing Project invades my home ...
An alternate viable strategy is being aware that there will be plenty of battlefield pickups available if that black flag ever flies.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

i give the same reason my wife gives, when i ask her why do you need a Louis Vuitton bag....... NOTHING!
ps: my AR cost half as much LOL!
'got to Texas ASAIC.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I bought my Bushmaster .308 semi-automatic sporting rifle to go hog hunting, and because I like it :tiphat: .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Gordie Howe wrote:It seems hard to justify the expenditures, but hey!
Well, you sure did answer your original question...I can sense that you are smacking yer forehead thinking "Why didn't I buy one before Sandy Hook!!!"

Hindsight is 20/20 my friend...Sock some cash away for a couple of months, do the research, and get one...You only need one...for now...Don't forget, you have ammo, magazines, etc etc etc to purchase as well...Thats $$$ on top of the cost of that new riffle...

I bet if you pulse a few folks around this website, go to the section and place a "WTB", you'll get a lot of reponses, publically and private...I recommend sticking to the "private" side of the deal...

If I had one, extra...I would look into selling it to you, but I do not know you, so there lies an additional concern that some (others) may have on this issue...

Patience, something might come along...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Hurricane Ike. Back then I didn't have any tactical weapons (non pistol). Evacuated, came back early because relatives who stayed said we had some pretty serious damage. We lived in our RV in the driveway. The first couple of nights we were the only people in the subdivision. The only noise was the generator powering the RV. Each evening I would sit in a lawn chair with my shotgun laid across my lap while the family slept.

A couple of times a LEO came around the house and informed me of looters having a shopping spree because no one was around. He saw my shotgun and asked if that was "all I had", I told him yes because my scoped deer rifles were useless to me in the dark. My pistols would make an altercation a little too close for comfort. He stopped and got out of his patrol car and we visited. He advised me to take out my mechanical plug on my shotgun to be able to go from 3 shells to 5. At that moment, I felt that I had my family "under protected".

The long way around this story is yes, I want all the bullets I can at my disposal.

So I've bought an AR sporting rifle. It's about the most fun I've had at the range.
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

rocketsteve

Post by rocketsteve »

RottenApple wrote:Well, assault rifles are extremely expensive to buy. I mean, you'd have to set up an NFA trust, go through ATF approval, pay the tax stamp, and then there's the cost of the rile itself which can be as little as $1300 for a cheap, poor condition M16 or as much as $20,000 for a relatively perfect condition assault rifle.

Frankly, I'd thnk an AR-15 would be significantly cheaper. :mrgreen:
Bravo!! Well played, Sir. :cheers2:
Steve

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. - Thomas Jefferson

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Modern muskets are a bit expensive right now compared to recent history. That said, if need arises and you don't have one how much would it be worth to you in that moment??
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”