Holster recommendation for Kimber Ultra Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Operators Edge
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Operators Edge »

The ONLY way to carry a 1911 using all it's safety's is CONDITION 1! That's how and why the John Browning design came about. Yes, John Browning invented the 1911. Any other way of carry with a round chambered is VERY VERY BAD! ALWAYS learn all you can about a weapon and how to carry it, as well as how and WHEN are it's safety's engaged. :shock:
"He who gets into a fair fight, has no tactical skills"

Robert Potter
Operators Edge
sales@operatorsedge.com
http://www.operatorsedge.com
866-457-SWAT
26728 I-45 North
Spring, TX. 77386

mikerlynn
Posts in topic: 3

Same problem as other mike

Post by mikerlynn »

Mike - I just got a kimber ultra carry II with CT as well - my names mike too - so I almost thought you were me as i read your posting : ) I have the same issue as you. I am a bit paranoid to carry it cocked w/saftey on. I am worried that something else will hit the firing pin - to me, I'd rather not carry then be paranoid about an accident - I'd hate to be shot with my own gun or worse. I dont think anyone can say anything to remove that fear from me. I'll probably just carry it where I'll have to pull it back to use it.

I have a S&W 3913 with the safety release and I would be more comfortable carrying that instead - but i did just buy a 1100 gun....

Topic author
Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Mike from Texas »

OK, thanks for everyone's input.

The one's I'm considering are:

1) Tucker "Answer" with the V-Clips. Seems to be the best of both worlds between Kydex and leather. And you absolutely cannot argue with their warranty. Lead time sucks though. Pricing for holster, double mag pouch and belt is $284.

2) Broomeland Max Con V. Looks to be an excellent all leather holster. Not sure on lead time. Pricing for holster, double mag pouch and belt is $265.

3) Comp-Tac Infidel or C-TAC. Would really like some feedback on these and why you would choose one over the other.

Is there any advantage to Kydex over leather?
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Mike-
Try carrying it around the house for a week empty in condition 1. Simulate your daily life.....the hammer will not drop with a good holster.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

two words: Grip Safety

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mike1951 »

mikerlynn wrote: I dont think anyone can say anything to remove that fear from me. I'll probably just carry it where I'll have to pull it back to use it.
DON'T!!!! This is absolutely the most dangerous thing you could do.

Either get comfortable with carrying the 1911 cocked and locked or get another carry gun.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

mikerlynn

why is it dangerous?

Post by mikerlynn »

Mike1951 wrote:
mikerlynn wrote: I dont think anyone can say anything to remove that fear from me. I'll probably just carry it where I'll have to pull it back to use it.
DON'T!!!! This is absolutely the most dangerous thing you could do.

Either get comfortable with carrying the 1911 cocked and locked or get another carry gun.

Can you explain why it is dangerous?

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Trying to cock the hammer in a tense situation is asking for an ND.

The grip safety might or might not be depressed while doing this, so you have NO safeguards.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

if you aren't ready to fire when you unsheath your smoke wagon, the time it takes you to cock it could really cost you.

or if you want to carry without one in the chamber, more time off the clock, so to speak.

mikerlynn

Post by mikerlynn »

Mike1951 wrote:Trying to cock the hammer in a tense situation is asking for an ND.

The grip safety might or might not be depressed while doing this, so you have NO safeguards.
This is probably to cover there(Edited 10 Year Old Daughter Rule ;-) carlson1) - but still... from the kimber owner manual

http://www.kimberamerica.com/downloads/ ... ompact.pdf

Safe Carrying Condition: Never carry this pistol cocked, loaded and ready to fire as this practice could easily result in an unintentional discharge. Do not carry a loaded gun with a live round in the chamber while walking, running or crossing any obstacle, where there is any possibility of slipping or falling as this could lead to a possible unintentional discharge.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

mikerlynn wrote: This is probably to cover there(Edited 10 Year Old Daughter Rule ;-) carlson1) - but still... from the kimber owner manual
Whats wrong with the 3 letter word for donkey. Its used in the King James version of the bible. I believe we would all allow our 10 year old daughters to read that. I certainly wouldn't expect her to ride a donkey mule or horse without the beast being properly fitted with a blanket.

just kidding, I guess some folks were more protective about language than I am. I wouldn't have thought that word would come under scrutiny. It's hard to know where the line is crossed some times.

Topic author
Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Mike from Texas »

No one has any input on the holsters I asked about?
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Mike from Texas wrote:1) Tucker "Answer" with the V-Clips. Seems to be the best of both worlds between Kydex and leather. And you absolutely cannot argue with their warranty. Lead time stinks though. Pricing for holster, double mag pouch and belt is $284.
Great holster. Very comfortable.

You don't have to buy Tucker's belt and mag pouch. For IWB, a Bianchi nylon mag pouch will do as well for less than $25. For belts, folks here have recommended http://www.thebeltman.net.

Save Tucker's belt and mag pouch for when you order one of his fabulous HF1 rigs.

But there are some makers that have good quality belts for as little as $30-40.
Mike from Texas wrote:Is there any advantage to Kydex over leather?
Kydex offers faster presentation and easier reholstering. It does wear finish faster than leather.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Carrying a 1911 in condition is the only way. A milt sparks VMII is what I used when I owned a 1911 for carry, and I love d it. No worries about safety.

Ask txi about thumbreak safety and 1911 carry.

jbaugh

New Ultra carry owner

Post by jbaugh »

Yesterday I bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II to use in place of my Glock 36 for concealed carry. While Googling to get suggestions for a holster I found this forum. It looks like a great place to visit for exchange of ideas.

I am very interested in as many suggestions as possible for a good IWB holster with maximum comfort and concealability. What do you think about holsters with built-in shirt tuck devices? I would also be interested in knowing how owners of the Ultra Carry wear their holsters. I have not yet gotten completely comfortable with my current practice which is to wear my holster just in front of my hip (I think this is called "appendix carry"?). I have been experimenting with carrying in my NRA spandex "holster shirt". This provides excellent concealment but limits accessibility to a significant extent.

I look forward to following this discussion.
John

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”