Obviously not a good time to shop for guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 3

Obviously not a good time to shop for guns

Post by rp_photo »

I have 4 guns now as listed in the signature below, and have 2 more in mind near future:

Mid-to-full sized .40, either Glock or S&W M&P

Full sized 4-6" .357 revolver, most likely a Ruger GP-100

A check of major websites showed none of these to be available, and I'm assuming that checking local stores won''t be any less frustrating (If I'm wrong, please advise)

Originally I was planning on making these purchases later in the year, but I guess I'm feeling the panic like everyone else.

In the end, it's probably best to cool my heels for awhile as the need is not that urgent.

Although frustrating, it feels good knowing that more and more people are joining the fold and I don't mind seeing them get their first gun before I get my 5th and 6th.
Last edited by rp_photo on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Obviously not a good time to shop for guns

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

My wife decided she wanted an M&P Shield, so I went to GunBroker.com to see what I could find on Buy It Now. About a dozen on bid, and the only Buy It Now was $675. Think I'll just try to hit up my local Academy stores once a week.

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

I would have considered what I'm in the market for to be lower-demand models, but I guess it's all high-demand now.
CHL since 2/2011

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

rp_photo wrote:nd I'm assuming that checking local stores won''t be any less frustrating
Academy - Webster/League City has had a .40 M&P full size for the last week in stock. ($499)
not sure where you are located at.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Gander Mountain had a pretty good cache of handguns yesterday, though I didn't see prices or specific models
Psalm 91:2

fickman

Post by fickman »

Off topic, I've been a part of a lot of forums where I put my personal ownership details in my signature: RVs, trucks, audio/video, computing, etc. It's helpful because people always have a frame of reference to help you when asking questions.

When I joined here, I started to list my firearms in my signature and decided not to after seeing somebody else call it a "voluntary registration". Many of us are semi-anonymous with our IDs on here, but probably fairly easily discoverable. That led me to opt out of enumerating my firearms. (I know you could probably piece together a list of most of my firearms by tracking through my post history, but it wouldn't necessarily be accurate, exhaustive, or reflect the current state.)

Just a thought. It might be paranoia. Where's the foil? :leaving
Native Texian

flechero

Post by flechero »

The local gun stores I have seen are all in great shape for revolvers. And surprisingly there is still a small supply of glocks and other polymer pistols under the glass.

Depending on your location, those may be easy to source. Call around, you may be surprised.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

rp_photo wrote:I have 4 guns now as listed in the signature below, and have 2 more in mind near future:

Mid-to-full sized .40, either Glock or S&W M&P

Full sized 4-6" .357 revolver, most likely a Ruger GP-100

A check of major websites showed none of these to be available, and I'm assuming that checking local stores won''t be any less frustrating (If I'm wrong, please advise)

Originally I was planning on making these purchases later in the year, but I guess I'm feeling the panic like everyone else.

In the end, it's probably best to cool my heels for awhile as the need is not that urgent.

Although frustrating, it feels good knowing that more and more people are joining the fold and I don't mind seeing them get their first gun before I get my 5th and 6th.
I am not sure where you live, but GT's in Austin has glocks. I pu one yesterday. Check my thread on their special pricing as well.

Chris

Post by Chris »

I know plenty of us would have ridiculously long signatures if we listed everything we owned. Simply for that reason, I wouldn't mess with it. It's the CHL forum. If anything, just list the one you primarily carry.

Just wait until summer. Everything will be stocked, and probably on sale. Everyone will have found and overpaid for what they wanted by then, so they won't have any money to spend on guns, and sales will be everywhere. I have gone through this a lot. I have been watching milsurp rifles dry up, and once the arsenals are empty, the only way to buy is from a collector who wants too much. There's no way around that, except to get them fast, and when you can. I have a rifle that cost me $89 when I bought it from the importer. A few dealers know I have it, and they have offered me a whole lot more than that for it, because they are difficult to find. All this modern stuff will be around for a long time. Just be patient.

punkndisorderly

Post by punkndisorderly »

Buds guns has bunches of. 40's in stock. There were several M&P models in stock.

Surprisingly, no S&W. 357's. That shocked the poo out of me. Would think those would be the least popular at the moment.

Maybe they aren't ordering them and are focusing on the high volume stuff. Maybe S&W has cut production on revolvers to focus on punping out the AR's and hi-cap 9mm's.
Texas CHL Instructor

SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

According to the FBI, hammers and clubs are far more dangerous than firearms. Last I saw, there were plenty of "deadly hammers" at Home Depot for dirt cheap prices.

All kidding aside, don't buy into the temporary hype. Having lived through the Clinton days, and the number of "panic" buying periods, I have become a bit numb to it all. As the British say "Stay calm and Carry On". Hopefully everything will normalize again and there will be plenty of firearms and ammo again.

Once things normalize again, panic and buy all you can ;-)
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

jmra

Post by jmra »

I've been to four gun shows in the last three weeks. With the exception of the shield, I haven't seen any shortages of firearms - not even ARs.
Unlike the ARs and magazines, handgun prices seem to have been unaffected. If you are interested in a bolt action rifle, it's a buyers market.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C247

Post by C247 »

I just picked up a M&P compact via Buds Police Supply for 455 with night sights and three mags shipped. Only some models are in stock but I am under the assumption that Buds Gun and Buds Police are under the same inventory. May be wrong.

Also I saw Quantico Tactical has an insane deal on M&P if you meet certain criteria. (I think it came out to 425 after shipping)

Steve133

Post by Steve133 »

No. No, it is not a good time to shop for guns. I already own one EBR, and while I figured that I'd eventually want at least one more, I told myself that I wasn't going to be a sucker and get caught up in the panic-buying after the election. With all of this recent foolishness, I had almost convinced myself to go ahead and look for an AR-10 to pick up as a political statement at the expense of a slight sucker premium on the price - my gun budget for the year has been set aside already and can absorb paying MSRP plus a few hundred dollars.

What it can't absorb is paying 1-2 THOUSAND dollars over MSRP, which is what the model I was set on is going for on Gunbroker right now. No thanks, I can wait.

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

I stopped at Tactical Firearms in Katy, where they had the M&P .40 in stock but no Glocks.

I immediately liked the look and feel of the M&P .40 and took one home for $535.00.

Then I checked out the WalMart near Grand Parkway and 1093 for ammo and found the shelves to be 90% empty with only a few boxes of Serbian-made ammo in .40 S&W.

Then I went to Katy Mills Bass Pro that seemed to more .40 S&W on hand than anything else. I got a box of 250 UMC and two 25's of Golden Sabre.

Minus recent events and politics, I might have waited a few more months but felt I'd better do it now just in case. Call it a "semi-panic" buy and a flip of the bird to Feinstein.
CHL since 2/2011

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”