A lump in your throat

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Stupid
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Stupid »

Just count how many non-white you have seen.
cyphur wrote:
Stupid wrote:Full of racism!!!
You're kidding, right?
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cyphur
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cyphur »

Stupid wrote:Just count how many non-white you have seen.
cyphur wrote:
You're kidding, right?
I'm not sure what to say to that. I'm rather astounded - at your comment, that is, not the race of the soldiers in the video. I honestly never noticed their race, as that is not something I generally look at in people.

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GlockenHammer »

I hope we are not going to have to lock this thread...
God grant me the serenity to avoid the confrontation,
The strength and skill to prevail if I cannot,
The wisdom to know when I will not,
And receive me into Your ever loving Grace if I do not.

Stupid
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Stupid »

Me neither.

Not until I noticed there's no black or hispanic soldiers portraited as son, wife, husband etc., except one guard at the funeral.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

If I were to make such a video, I would probably choose soldiers from the same race as mine. Had these been all black, or all hispanic, or any other race, I would not have considered it racist. Yes, a multi-cultural version of this piece would be more politically correct, but I think you detract from our soldiers when you label a piece like this with the scarlet "R".

I appreciate all of our soldiers, white, black hispanic, arabic, jewish, vietnamese, etc. I know that each of them is a mother, father, son, daughter, etc., and their service--and sacrifice--is greatly appreciated. Let's not spoil this tribute because it didn't include a broad enough cross-section of soldiers.
God grant me the serenity to avoid the confrontation,
The strength and skill to prevail if I cannot,
The wisdom to know when I will not,
And receive me into Your ever loving Grace if I do not.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

GlockenHammer wrote:If I were to make such a video, I would probably choose soldiers from the same race as mine.
Actually, I think you'd make it from the available footage. If cultural or economic reasons --or even outright racism on the part of the original photographers and videographers-- makes the available footage something less than "inclusive", then it's no fault of yours if you edit together a video that doesn't properly represent all groups.

Kevin

cyphur
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cyphur »

No drama here, just conversation.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but Glockenhammer put it best, I think it detracts from our troops to discuss racism in a tribute video when they're over there dying.

I say appreciate all the troops, regardless of race or creed, and take the video for what it is, a small sampling of the hundreds of thousands of American soldiers on the front line with a gun in the fight.

Watch your six, and come home safe.

Crazy Ace
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crazy Ace »

I'm tearing up in the middle of the university computer lab. That's a really good video. I might have to show it to my grandma sometime, hopefully she will come to understand.
Fight Crime: Shoot Back!

Patriotswrath

Post by Patriotswrath »

Stupid wrote:Just count how many non-white you have seen.
cyphur wrote:
You're kidding, right?
I dunno what to say to the approach you took to this. You're entitled to your opinion I suppose. You certainly did a wonderful job of destroying the message that video was trying to convey.

You're entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

In Vietnam you'd have said it was racism because their were so many black people in the video.

I'm already torn because I feel every ounce of the sacrifices our troops are making. It's compounded for me because we do owe them, we owe them enough to ask them to expend their lives on the right mission, which I do not believe we are doing currently. But ordinarily I'd not bring that up in a memorial thread. Why? Because the last thing I should do is question the mission at such a time.

But you, to turn it all into some nonsense about racism. It's disgusting.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Patriotswrath wrote:
In Vietnam you'd have said it was racism because their were so many black people in the video.

I'm already torn because I feel every ounce of the sacrifices our troops are making. It's compounded for me because we do owe them, we owe them enough to ask them to expend their lives on the right mission, which I do not believe we are doing currently. But ordinarily I'd not bring that up in a memorial thread. Why? Because the last thing I should do is question the mission at such a time.

But you, to turn it all into some nonsense about racism. It's disgusting.
I think some here are being unfair to Stupid. I also noticed that the little film was awfully white. I think the person that made it was white and used images that he/she would identify with. While the film maker may not have had racist motives using that many images of soldiers and not having at least one darkskinned person is stretching coincidence a little far. The film was a great tribute to white folks who have sacrificed so much.

I get a little confused here sometimes. Being critical of a piece of video is not a negative reflection on any of the soldiers serving our country. It is an observation and critique of the video and its maker.

Sometimes when we let our emotions run we fail to understand a valid point. The video was poignant. It was powerful and moved us. It was well point together. It is not the Bible and not beyond analyzing and critique.

BTW: Cops Soldiers Clergy and Republicans might be mostly good folk, but none are perfect, and some are outright evil.

TheRising

Post by TheRising »

What a great way to ruin the mood...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”