Bill of Sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Bill of Sale

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

What makes this thread interesting to me is reading posts from folks who would argue they are pro RKBA making the anti gun crowd argument that guns are inherently dangerous and should be regulated as such. The folks posting this are not realizing what they are doing because deep inside, they do see guns as somehow deserving of tougher restrictions.

A gun is no different than a bunch of garage sell junk. I can buy a hammer at a garage sale and hit a person in the head, killing them instantly. Should we force people who sell me a hammer to check up on how likely i am to wack a person in the head? I could buy a box of rocks and throw one of those rocks at you and severely or even mortally wound a person. I can buy a car and use it to run over a bunch of kids in a school zone. I bet far more people are injured or killed on bicycles every year than are injured or killed by firearms.

The big bad evil gun deserves special treatment.?? Not in my book... But as others have said here already. To each their own. :cheers2:

TexasRedneck
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasRedneck »

Interesting....at a gun show today, had a feller wantin' a 38 Super I had. We agreed upon a price, an' he whipped out an index card, commenting about writing details "just your name and DL number" on it. I explained to him that I'd be happy to show him my DL and CHL - but he could NOT make note of the numbers. We were both pleasant, and in the end we completed the transaction w/o any such info being noted.

Couple of aisles later, a Norinco 1911 came into view....yeah, it follered me home. :thumbs2:
TSRA Defender * NRA Benefactor Member
"In the shadow of the Alamo, any man looks small!"

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote:What makes this thread interesting to me is reading posts from folks who would argue they are pro RKBA making the anti gun crowd argument that guns are inherently dangerous and should be regulated as such. The folks posting this are not realizing what they are doing because deep inside, they do see guns as somehow deserving of tougher restrictions.

A gun is no different than a bunch of garage sell junk. I can buy a hammer at a garage sale and hit a person in the head, killing them instantly. Should we force people who sell me a hammer to check up on how likely i am to wack a person in the head? I could buy a box of rocks and throw one of those rocks at you and severely or even mortally wound a person. I can buy a car and use it to run over a bunch of kids in a school zone. I bet far more people are injured or killed on bicycles every year than are injured or killed by firearms.

The big bad evil gun deserves special treatment.?? Not in my book... But as others have said here already. To each their own. :cheers2:
First... nobody here is advocating a law that says a bill of sale or some other thing should be a requirement. I do it my way, you do it your way and both should remain legal. We each decide for ourselves what risks we're willing to take and how to mitigate the risks we don't want to take.

Second... A gun IS most certainly different from garage sale junk. I'm not going to jail for life for being in possession of Suzie's dollie. But I will have a huge problem if a serialized weapon ever comes up stolen (or worse, having been used in a crime) at a traffic stop.

You should at least try to see beyond the RKBA issues at hand here.. If it was only RKBA that was at stake, I doubt anyone here would disagree with you.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

03Lightningrocks

RoyGBiv wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:What makes this thread interesting to me is reading posts from folks who would argue they are pro RKBA making the anti gun crowd argument that guns are inherently dangerous and should be regulated as such. The folks posting this are not realizing what they are doing because deep inside, they do see guns as somehow deserving of tougher restrictions.

First... nobody here is advocating a law that says a bill of sale or some other thing should be a requirement. I do it my way, you do it your way and both should remain legal. We each decide for ourselves what risks we're willing to take and how to mitigate the risks we don't want to take.

Second... A gun IS most certainly different from garage sale junk. I'm not going to jail for life for being in possession of Suzie's dollie. But I will have a huge problem if a serialized weapon ever comes up stolen (or worse, having been used in a crime) at a traffic stop.

You should at least try to see beyond the RKBA issues at hand here.. If it was only RKBA that was at stake, I doubt anyone here would disagree with you.
So you would fall into this camp.

................... they do see guns as somehow deserving of tougher restrictions.

..... and I addressed my stance on this at the end of my post with this comment.

I think there is room for both schools of thought and my intentions were not to change your mind on the issue... they were simply to point out we have a few different ways of looking at guns. I see them as a tool... nothing more... nothing less. I also agreed that having some form of proof of purchase was not a bad idea in case the weapon turns out stolen. The same could apply to the bicycle as well. They pull you over, check the serila number and the bicycle shows stolen... oops... Some proof of purchase would come in handy in this situation as well. I would probably not worry as much about getting this reciept or bill of sale from a person I have known for years.

Where most here seem to differ and the issue I was mainly addressing is requiring the purchaser to show proof of who they are or requiring them to sign something saying they bought the gun.

LR95S97
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LR95S97 »

I have a pistol for sale now, so the timing of this thread is perfect.

After reading the thread twice now, the 'to each his own' stance is where I stand.

I have had several interested buyers. Once I determine the person is a truly interested, I tell them I must view their valid TX drivers licence to verify residency, and will write down his/her name/address. I offer a Bill Of Sale only if they want it.

If agreeable - we move forward (assuming the $ is right). If not agreeable, I will wait for the next 'fish' to come along.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

If I'm buying

In a Walmart parking lot, I ask to see a CHL, and I hold up mine; that's good enough for me; indicates residency/ability to purchase & possess and background check etc etc. I don't need addresses phones social security card 3 references I just want your photo to sort of resemble your face (Mine does not though :lol: )

At a gun show from a non-chl, I might like a bill of sale if I Buy, in case it's reported stolen some day (seller might report stolen later for insurance fraud or maybe it was really stolen?

But in a Walmart parking lot, I assume a CHL isn't selling a stolen gun, and is relatively honest, so I don't need one.

If I'm selling, I'm satisfied if I see a CHL. I don't care where you live, I doubt I'll visit your house so don't worry while you go to work, if you insist on my address ... be advised I am ALWAYS at home, retired, armed, and my dogs bite if you decide to visit unannounced. :nono: :evil2:

Summary:
If I see a CHL with a photo vaguely resembling the person holding it, I probably won't look at your name address or know who you are if you see me at Walmart the next day. Don't be offended, I don't know all my relatives when I see them either... just met one the first time a few weeks ago, wouldn't recognize her tomorrow though. ;-)
Last edited by RPB on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

:iagree:

alvins

Post by alvins »

"A gun is no different than a bunch of garage sell junk. I can buy a hammer at a garage sale and hit a person in the head, killing them instantly. Should we force people who sell me a hammer to check up on how likely i am to wack a person in the head?"

no because a hammer wasnt designed to kill. most guns are designed to kill at reasonable distance with accuracy. can you throw a hammer 25 yards accuratly?

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

Only if it's a tack driver. :mrgreen:

You can have as many restrictions you want. Bill of sale. Show CHL. Show passport. Payment in Euros only. Have a butterfly tattoo. Whatever you want. However, if you're asking for more than the law requires, it's basic good manners to put it in your ad so you don't waste the time of people who don't have butterfly tattoo, or have one somewhere they're not willing to let you photograph for your firearms sales records.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

03Lightningrocks

alvins wrote:"A gun is no different than a bunch of garage sell junk. I can buy a hammer at a garage sale and hit a person in the head, killing them instantly. Should we force people who sell me a hammer to check up on how likely i am to wack a person in the head?"

no because a hammer wasnt designed to kill. most guns are designed to kill at reasonable distance with accuracy. can you throw a hammer 25 yards accuratly?
Depending on the gun, many people can't shoot a gun and kill a person at twenty five yards accurately either. So is distance the determining factor? At one time, rocks were used to kill people. Knives as well. The Indians designed the bow and arrow to kill... Should we regulate these. I can shoot an arrow accurately to 50 yards easily and kill.

This type argument to justify gun control really doesn't hold water. It belittles the main point. There is a constitutional right to own a firearm with no regulation on type, size, purpose or even the morals of any American that wants to own one. Anything else is smoke and mirrors by those that are afraid of guns. Owning a weapon does not make a person in favor of gun rights.

Meanwhile, we cater to irrational fears of firearms, many of which have been mentioned in this very thread, and allow our right to own firearms, to be taken away... One small inch at a time(one justification at a time)... all in an inane effort, to quell the irrational fears of those that think guns are scary.

(I had to log onto my real computer and edit several words and what not of this post because my Ipad decided to change them for me. That is why the editting after the fact. Ipads are like libtards... always trying to put words into other peoples mouths to suite their own needs...LOL)
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

03Lightningrocks

Anyone care to guess who fears private ownership of guns the most? Our government!!!

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Depending on the gun, many people can't shoot a gun and kill a person at twenty five yards accurately either. So is distance the determining factor? At one time, rocks were used to kill people.
They still use rocks in the Middle East. I saw them just the other day on TV throwing some at each other. :biggrinjester:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Posts in topic: 5

Post by 77346 »

:deadhorse:
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

03Lightningrocks

tomtexan wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote: Depending on the gun, many people can't shoot a gun and kill a person at twenty five yards accurately either. So is distance the determining factor? At one time, rocks were used to kill people.
They still use rocks in the Middle East. I saw them just the other day on TV throwing some at each other. :biggrinjester:
It would be funnier it it were not so true...lol.

nyj

Post by nyj »

In my ~10+ buy/sell transactions, the only person I've ever had that wanted a bill of sale was a cop buying a gun from me. :smilelol5:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”