Sig P239 SAS vs P938

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 6

Sig P239 SAS vs P938

Post by randomoutburst »

I have recently accepted an internship at an office that requires a different sort of attire than I am accustomed to wearing. Instead of jeans and a vest I will be required to wear nice slacks and a blouse. Obviously that is a bit of a problem when my current carry only works with a cover garment like a vest. It's hard to conceal a Smith 60 or Kahr K9 in my waistband when I'm a tiny woman and every waistline bulge looks like an advanced tumor or, well, a gun.

I've done some shopping and research and have narrowed down my new carry option to the Sig P239 SAS or the Sig P938. I can conceal it in my waistband and the thin profile doesn't draw attention to my gun bulge. They are both also 9mm (yes, the 239 is not a typo for 238) so that suits me fine. I didn't want to add another caliber to our list of ammo we need to keep on hand - being able to load multiple weapons with the same caliber is a benefit when it comes to shooting on a budget.

So, my question is: does anyone have experience with either model? The DAK trigger on the 239 is appealing to me. I know the 938 is new so they are still working out the kinks. I do prefer the thumb safety on the 938 to the 239, but I suppose it doesn't matter as long as I practice disengaging the safety so it becomes part of my muscle memory. They are similar enough in size that it's not really an issue. I am interested in how reliable the models are. I would also be interested to hear of any other factors I may have overlooked; someone who owns and shoots the gun would be a great resource for considering things I cannot because I have not shot either one. Then again, the 938 is new enough that you might not have shot one either! :lol:

Edited to add: If anyone owns either of these guns and lives in the Lubbock area (or will be visiting soon), I would buy you dinner for the opportunity to shoot one!

9/17 - Edited again to add: This is 239 SAS I'm talking about: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 9-sas.aspx. The dimensions are a little larger than the 938, but since the width is what I'm most concerned about and there is only .1" difference, it's not that big of a deal. The length is only about a half-inch difference, too.
Last edited by randomoutburst on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

68Charger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sig P239 SAS vs P938

Post by 68Charger »

Do you mean the P238? Or P239? That would make more sense to me?

Either way, I love the P239, but it is a bit top heavy, and is also is a bit bulky in comparison to the P938. They both hold about the same amount of ammo in the magazines. I think you would be better off concealing a P938 vs a P239. I own a P238 (380 version of your P938) and it conceals extremely well. In your pockets, IWB, anywhere. I haven't personally shot both, so you'll have to find a bit more info on that from some of the guys here on the forum.

Congrats on your internship! I'm about to start a new job that makes me wear slacks and a button up shirt as well. So it looks like I'm going to have to redo my whole wardrobe and find a tuckable IWB holster for my P238.

All in all, cheers! :cheers2:
We don't need no stinking badges!

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

The P239 SAS is DA/SA only. You must mean the P239 DAK. Different gun.

The P239 is 0.7" longer, 1.2" higher and 0.1" wider than the P938. I carry a P239 DA/SA in .357 Sig. It's not the same as the P938, which is much closer, in dimensions, to the P238. (The height and width are identical, the length is 0.4" shorter in the P238.) The Kahn K9 is 0.1" longer than the P238 and 0.6" shorter than the P239. It's also narrower and has less height than the P239. ISTM you just want an excuse to buy a new gun. :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

A-R

Post by A-R »

A Sig 239 is substantially larger than either your S&W 60 or Kahr K9

A sig 238 in .380 is smaller - about size of Kahr MK9 or PM9

A Sig 938 is newer - larger 9mm version of 238, but I have no first-hand experience with it

Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

I love my P238...even though you did not bring it up as an option. I dont have a whole lot of ammo for it...just enough to take to the range every now and then. Honestly my thinking for the little .380 is that it will never be my go to in a a problem arises...so I just need a small amount of ammo for occasional range trips. I did buy 200 rounds of self defense ammo for it. I tell you this so you dont rule it out as you CCW...I do not consider it to be another caliber, simply because I will not buy 1000's of rounds for it. Its a great gun and easy to conceal IWB at 1:30.

Earlier today, I picked up the P938 extreme. Love it!!! But I have no clue as to its reliability. I would expect that they have the bugs worked out...but ya never know. I have a hard time believing the P239 is the same size...I just dont believe it...but I could be wrong. If you go with a P938...start calling all the Academys in your area, eventually, one will turn up. Got mine for 699.

Best of Luck!

MikeStone
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MikeStone »

I just picked up a P938 last week. I put 200 rounds through it Friday without a hitch. So far I'm impressed. I also have a small frame, so size was my major concern. Because I like the thumb safety, it really came down to the P938 or the S&W Shield. I never could find a Shield to play with so I went with the P938. No regrets so far.

One note, it is single action only. I'm pretty new to concealed carry, so it was a little strange for me to shove a cocked (safety on of course) pistol into my britches. The other members on this forum relieved my fears though. I think you'll like it. Good luck!
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

I think some of you are confused. It says on the Sig Arms website that the 239 SAS does have a DAK trigger. See here under the "specifications" tab: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 9-sas.aspx Upon further review, the grip size may be what eliminates the 239 SAS from the running, and it is indeed longer than my Kahr. I would need to see one in person so I can judge the size. The reason my Kahr isn't an option right now is the width and the butt of the gun; compared to the 238 and 938, it's too bulky. I've tried to waistband carry that, believe me.

Baldeagle: Yeah, maybe I need an excuse to buy a new gun. I haven't bought a new one in over a year! Hubby and I are both looking to buy pocket-carry sized guns right now. We're calling them our 5-year anniversary presents. I know the gifts for that are traditionally wood-related, but if we get wood grips it still counts, right? ;-)

Shinesintx: I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal to get a .380 calibered gun, but the way we buy ammo...yes, we would stock up with a minimum of 500 rounds. It's easier to take from our current stock of 9mm than to drop a bunch of cash on more ammo...at least, right now it is. I looked at the 238 first and then the guy at our local gun shop told us about the 239 and 938. I wouldn't be opposed to the 238, really, it's more my husband that is reluctant to change calibers. I do have to say, though, that the 938 looks real nice!

MikeStone - I used to carry a 1911 so the SA trigger and carrying cocked and locked doesn't bother me. My only concern is that the safety is so small and, judging by the similar 238 I handled, very tight and hard to disengage compared to a 1911. Size of that thumb safety makes a difference for sure. If I get one, maybe I could have someone do some work on it to make disengaging it smoother. Glad to hear that it functioned well out of the gate - makes me more confident about buying a new model!

At this point I'm leaning towards the 938, especially having reviewed the specs.

My husband jokes that I have expensive taste. When I went revolver shopping I insisted on the SW, which was $200 more than any comparable revolver was at the time. This time I was looking at a Colt Pony, Sig 238, or a Diamondback. I decided on the Sig which is also about $200 more than the others. Now I'm just deciding between Sigs. Better start putting some more cash in my piggy bank to fund this!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! If anyone else wants to throw in their 2 cents, I'd appreciate it!

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

randomoutburst wrote:I think some of you are confused. It says on the Sig Arms website that the 239 SAS does have a DAK trigger. See here under the "specifications" tab: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 9-sas.aspx
At the bottom of that page it says: "This model has been discontinued. There are still small quantities available. Check with your SIG dealer."

If you look at the current page, there are no P239's with DAK triggers.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

Hi,
My wife has a Sig P239/40. It's a big heavy gun compared to many of the new polymer frame guns.
You said you have a Kahr K9, have you looked at a Kahr CM9? It's a small gun with a short butt.
I just bought one to replace my Kel-Tec P11.

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

baldeagle wrote:
randomoutburst wrote:I think some of you are confused. It says on the Sig Arms website that the 239 SAS does have a DAK trigger. See here under the "specifications" tab: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 9-sas.aspx
At the bottom of that page it says: "This model has been discontinued. There are still small quantities available. Check with your SIG dealer."

If you look at the current page, there are no P239's with DAK triggers.
At least for GEN 1 models, the P239 SAS refers to the "anti-snag" version of the P239. The SAS was "dehorned" for a smoother rounder surface, has was equipped with a stainless slide and wooden grips. They were available with both the DAO/decocker as well as the DAK trigger. As I recall the SAS versions were about $150 more than the regular model. At the time, I was going to buy one, but couldn't find one locally.

Instead I bought the P239 .40S&W with a DAK trigger. It is a very accurate and reliable gun. I bought it with the intention of CC, but found I can't shoot it well. I don't know if it's because it's a .40, the grip shape or the DAK trigger. The P239 is also heavier than I wanted to carry.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

baldeagle - Doesn't matter if it's discontinued, I'm not necessarily looking for a gun I can order from a dealer right this very minute. If I want something I will wait to find one. In any case, I'm leaning towards the 938 so finding a 239 probably won't be an issue.

OverEasy - I prefer to steer clear of polymer-framed guns when they're smaller than my Kahr. I haven't liked any of the ones I've shot, and the one that I owned, I sold. I like the Sig and the Colt Pony because they're metal. The Sig wins because the sights are fantastic and it fits so nicely in my hand. :)

WildBill - Glad to know they are reliable. Still, I think I'll ultimately go with the 938.

SATX-Scrub

Post by SATX-Scrub »

I'm just gonna say I love my P938! It has quickly become my EDC.
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

MikeStone
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MikeStone »

I put another 150 rounds through my P938 today with one FTE. I'm not getting very accurate results so it is surely the pistol... :shock:
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

- Thomas Jefferson

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

MikeStone wrote:I put another 150 rounds through my P938 today with one FTE. I'm not getting very accurate results so it is surely the pistol... :shock:
I love my P238, and would love to have a 938...BUT if you google there seems to be an issue of many people complaining about accuracy. most complain of low and left.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

Thanks for the additional feedback, y'all. My hubby and I have both been seeing the same complaints pop up about the 938, so I'm slightly hesitant to get one. I may just bite it and get the 238 even though it's a .380. We'll see. The P238 Desert does look pretty awesome, I have to say...!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”