LCP vs P238

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
brewdawg
Posts in topic: 5

LCP vs P238

Post by brewdawg »

I have narrowed down my choice for a pocket carry gun for those times when I don't want to carry the XD9SC. During the summer months especially I am normally in shorts and don't always want to wear a holster and/or gun belt.

So after a lot of looking and research I have narrowed it down to the LCP and p238 and just wanted to see what the thoughts were from some of you that carry them. I realize the p238 is going to give me better sites, lower recoil, and is probably the better gun. But are there enough reasons to choose it over the LCP?
NRA Member
-----------------------------------------------
"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On" ~ Jimmy Buffett

jsenner
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LCP vs P238

Post by jsenner »

I have both and carry both. both are great little guns. the LCP is better if you want to carry it in your pocket (size/weight edge for me), holstered I don't think it really matters.

For me the decision would come down to what you prefer from a functional standpoint. the LCP is like a revolver - no thinking, just point and squeeze - heavy trigger pull. the P238 is a more traditional 1911-ish, manual safety that must be dealt with and a nice light trigger when the safety is off. choose the style that works for you and just practice the heck out of it. IF you ever have to use it, you'll be going strictly from instinct due to the stress so it has to be easy for you.

rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

:iagree:

There may be some other finer points of distinction, but the answer above provides about as reasonable feedback as you could hope for.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

I consider the LCP an up close and personal gun, 20 feet or closer and the long gritty trigger pull will move the gun all over the place in a rapid fire situation. The lack of sights is a major issue for me on the LCP. The 238 is quite capable of making 50 foot shots on a regular basis and has a great trigger and real sights. The bottom line comes down to what you are willing to pay, inexpensive means the LCP.
Salty1

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 4

Post by johncanfield »

Our P238 is a great little gun - easy and fun to shoot. I've been thinking about adding an LCP to our armory for those times when you just want to slip a little handgun in the front or rear pocket for a quick trip to the store or for a BUG (dear wife usually carries the Sig.) If I had to choose between the P238 or the LCP, I would go with the P238. Real sights and easy recoil so you wouldn't mind putting 50 rounds through it at the range - I've heard the LCP is hard on the hands due to the smaller size. It took quite a bit of range time with the Sig before I was able to dial in my brain to the sights - the P238 sights are 12 o'clock - I have to cover up the target with the three dots which took a little getting used to.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I also have both. I seldom carry the P238, though it is much nicer to shoot and more accurate, plus it has night sights. And it's certainly prettier.
but it's single action.
I have come to my own conclusion that my carry gun has to be DA. I just don't get enough SA practice to make it 2nd nature.

Actually, of late I mostly carry a DA revolver. I take the LCP when I'm wearing jeans
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

rev210

Post by rev210 »

I prefer the P238, I like the accuracy and I like shooting it. I did not care for the LCP, the trigger pull was not my favorite so I sold mine but as others have said I found that one easier to pocket carry and there seem to be more holster options available but lately it seems the 238 has become more popular.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

brewdawg wrote:I have narrowed down my choice for a pocket carry gun for those times when I don't want to carry the XD9SC. During the summer months especially I am normally in shorts and don't always want to wear a holster and/or gun belt.

So after a lot of looking and research I have narrowed it down to the LCP and p238 and just wanted to see what the thoughts were from some of you that carry them. I realize the p238 is going to give me better sites, lower recoil, and is probably the better gun. But are there enough reasons to choose it over the LCP?
If I had to choose between the LCP and the P238, I'd pick the Kahr CM9. It's pretty competitive to the LCP and the Sig in size and weight, only a little more money than the LCP but less than the P238, and 9mm instead of .380. That way you get better stopping ability, use the same ammo as your XD9SC, and you don't have to pay Sig prices.

Here is a little chart I prepared for you. As you can see, the LCP is the cheapest gun, but the Kahr is the best value for the money.
It has the lightest trigger. It is "Glock-like" in its simplicity. That is high praise.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JeepGuy79

Post by JeepGuy79 »

I like Kahr also, a PM9 is in my near future. I wouldn't mind a p938 though.

I think between these two the deciding factor would be do you want a single action with a safety or a double action gun. One costs almost double what the other does, so might want to consider your budget. Let us know what you chose and if you are happy with your choice!

Topic author
brewdawg
Posts in topic: 5

Post by brewdawg »

Thanks for all the great thoughts and info. Might have to look at the Kahr before I make the purchase. I am really leaning toward the LCP just due to the size and weight.
NRA Member
-----------------------------------------------
"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On" ~ Jimmy Buffett

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 4

Post by johncanfield »

Rex B wrote:I have come to my own conclusion that my carry gun has to be DA. I just don't get enough SA practice to make it 2nd nature.
The 238 works for us because all three of our handguns are SA and all have a thumb safety. When I dry fired an LCP I really disliked the loooong trigger pull. We've put maybe 1,500 rounds through the Sig and it is very, very smooth.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

JeepGuy79

Post by JeepGuy79 »

a .380 I think is pretty decent is the SW bodyguard. It is only $360 and has a laser built in. if you don't like the safety you can remove it. Trigger pull is kinda heavy 10lb but it does have second primer strike ability. which is pretty cool if you had a primer not pop when you expected it to. slide locks back when its empty unlike the lcp. I don't care for 380 but for the price I may snag one.

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

I carry in a belly band and I carry a g26 on one side/ flash light and on the other a gerber 650 /mag /pepper spray and it never pulls my pants down or fills my pockets
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

I've carried my P238 for over a year now and it's quite the gun. I love the sights, too. I'm more of a 1911 type of guy and the manual safety is second nature to me. It comes apart like a 1911, too. I don't pocket carry mine, because.. I don't like bulgy pockets, so I carry a De Santis Cozy Partner at my 3. I've slept with it on quite a few times and it's so small to notice it's there. I'm not a big guy by all means either.

Trigger pull takes some getting used to, and the other thing that I HATE is it only comes with one magazine. Do yourself a favor and don't skimp out on Factory Sig mags. I have used some Colt Mustang mags, but had a few issues with them. You can also get the 7 round mag with pinky extension as well and it works wonders with grip.

TAM is always talking about that darned Khar.. lol. I haven't shot one, but the way he swears by it makes it sound like it's a really good pistol.

I've been looking for the P938 but haven't gotten my hands on one yet. Wouldn't mind a small 9mm in P238 size carry. :)

What it really comes down to though is if you like either double or single action. Oh.. and sights..

Either way, let us know what you choose. Cheers.
We don't need no stinking badges!

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 7

Post by wgoforth »

Don't think anyone has mentioned the LCP does not lock open on last round. For me that is a deal breaker. The Bodyguard and P238 do lock back. I have had the LCP, Bodyguard and now carry the P238. As said, the main question will be single or double action. The BG handles better all around than the LCP to me. The P238 better than any. Though the laser was more of a gimmick to me on the BG (your not going to need or have time to use it in an upclose defense) it does provide counterweight to the barrel and reduces muzzle flip.

You can find a plain jane P238 for $450, so price a little more compatable with the others.... this one does not have night sites and has plastic grips.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”