New Texan dumps new Kahr lemon. Buys a Walther PK380.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

New Texan dumps new Kahr lemon. Buys a Walther PK380.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Yesterday I went to Academy Lewisville to buy a new pepper spray.

While I was there, I figured that I'd try to handle a new M & P Shield if they had one.
There was about 7 of us at the gun counter, but not much staff.

I struck up a conversation with one guy, asking him if he was looking for a particular gun,
or just window-shopping. He recounted kind of an interesting tale. He just moved from Washington State
to Texas, and said that he had to sell his handgun collection to do so. His collection had included Kimber,
Sigs, and Kel-Tec. (Models/qtys/calibers unknown). He had never had any failures to feed or cycle with any
of the 3 brands.

He had been shooting since age 8, and he was probably a 45 year old guy. He said in Washington State the
process of getting a CHL (CWP there?) was go see the law, they check you on the computer to see if you are clean,
and you get your plastic right away. He wasn't thrilled that in Texas you have to attend a CHL class, but it is what it is.

He took his Texas CHL class the other day, and had purchased a Kahr (model unknown, but a .380 perhaps) to take to
the class. It was a brand new gun, so he figured it would be OK to take for the range portion. WRONG. Unlike the
recent poster who took a brand new Taurus <PT 138?>, and had good luck, the former Washington State man said
that the Kahr would not fire multiple times. He had to load single rounds, fire, then load 1 more round. It took him
quite a while to finish his requirement.

One of the men at the range opined "Most folks have to return those Kahr's 2 or 3 times before they'll run right."

He returned the Kahr immediately to where he bought it, then picked up a Walther PK380 at Academy. Just then, the clerk
came from the back room with his new pistol, so he had to quit talking to me to finish his business.

I suppose some of you had Kahr's, or other brands, that have been lemons. This was one man's tale. Comments welcomed.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

McJingles

Re: New Texan dumps new Kahr lemon. Buys a Walther PK380.

Post by McJingles »

Most guns require a break in period. I don't remember what Kahr's is, but it is a couple hundred rounds. I wouldn't think there was anything wrong unless it keeps malfunctioning after the break in period.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Kahr tells you straight out in the manual that you must break them in with at least 200 rounds before they will function properly. This is just a case of the purchaser not following manufacturers guidelines and blaming the gun. :totap:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Sounds like a user error, products come with instructions for a reason, those who choose to ignore them do so at their own risk, Kahr's are built very tight from the factory and being a mechanical device with such tight tollerances they need to break in properly.
Salty1

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Keith B wrote:Kahr tells you straight out in the manual that you must break them in with at least 200 rounds before they will function properly. This is just a case of the purchaser not following manufacturers guidelines and blaming the gun. :totap:

This.

doc540

Post by doc540 »

fwiw:

Just bought two brand new Kahr's.

CW9

CM9

200+ rounds thru both since last week.

Not a single problem. (Sold both LC9's because they dropped mag's unannounced)

and accurate, too
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

philip964

Post by philip964 »

My Sig P238 has been flawless since new. Only FTF has been user error. (slide not fully back) or new magazine I bought that was defective.

I wouldn't bring a new gun I hadn't fired to pass my shooting exam. But I also wouldn't expect a new gun to malfunction on every feed until it had reached 200.

Maybe he was nervous, I know I was and had at least one stovepipe.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

philip964 wrote:My Sig P238 has been flawless since new. Only FTF has been user error. (slide not fully back) or new magazine I bought that was defective.

I wouldn't bring a new gun I hadn't fired to pass my shooting exam. But I also wouldn't expect a new gun to malfunction on every feed until it had reached 200.

Maybe he was nervous, I know I was and had at least one stovepipe.
Many people who feel they had a bad gun will also embellish a little (or a lot) on how bad the malfunctions were. Additionally, if he was allowed to load one round at a time and fire it, then he didn't legally meet the requirements for timed fire (see below) and his CHL qualification is not valid.

Course of Fire:
3 yard line - 20 shots:

1 shot in 2 seconds, 5 times
2 shots in 3 seconds, 5 times
5 shots in 10 seconds, once

7 yard line - 20 shots:

5 shots in 10 seconds, once
1 shot in 3 seconds, 5 times
2 shots in 4 seconds, once
3 shots in 6 seconds, once
5 shots in 15 seconds, once

15 yard line - 10 shots:

2 shots in 6 seconds, once
3 shots in 9 seconds, once
5 shots in 15 seconds, once
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I followed the breakin recommendation on my Karh PM40 and never had an issue during or after. My eyes were better when I first bought it and it amazed me how accurate a 3 inch barreled pistol could be. That confirms consistent lock up and precision machining. I understood why they noted the breakin period. It reminded me of 1911's that Singer made during WWII being too precisely manufactured. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kahr. We're trying to decide between it and a S&W M&P as a CCW for my wife.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

I got a pistol from a Pawn shop that somebody thought was a "lemon". It just needed more rounds through it.

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

I have two Khars. One is a couple of months old, the other I've had for 16 years. Both are stone ax reliable. I would chalk this one up to user error. The man clearly shows poor judgment in taking and untried gun to his CHL class. Knowing that, I certainly wouldn't trust his opinion on the reliability of any gun. Shooting multiple brands of handgun since the age of 8 and never had an FTF or FTC with any of them? I'd have to call bull on that!
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Fathers friend had one years ago and got rid of it after about a thousand rounds. Jammed to much he said and sent it back 3 times. He said the problem was never resolved and traded it in for a glock 26. I think several years back Kahr had a bad jamming problem from what some who have owned them have told me but all the recent and many of the owners on the chl board give a pretty good review on them. Also many of them could have been like this guy and put a mag down the pipe and thought it was good to go. Read the manual, Kahr says break in period. The gun is alot tighter then a Glock, S&W etc when new. Almost all semiautos have a slight break in period! Kahrs are just a little longer then most. Like others have said. KAHRS MUST BE BROKEN IN! I wouldn't take a firearm to a chl class without at least 500 rounds through it anyways.

Kahr is a quality firearm that needs to be broken in a little. All my semi autos have had a slight break in period but my 3rd gen Glocks. Only semi auto I ever owned that hasn't jammed yet, knock on wood. I personally like their K9 a lot and would love one (a little pricey) but nice!

Personally I think half the reason people complain about a certain semi auto jamming is because most but not all like glocks, xd, S&W, sig have a pretty good out of the box product that jams very little if properly lubed. So whenever someone gets a few jams in the beginning like the Kahr they call it a piece of junk. Kahr isn't hiding anything from its consumers and are said to have good customer service!

edit: Also while I do like Walthers I would not take a pk380 over a p9 etc. PPS is a awesome single stack 9mm, best I have shoot in polymer frame but a pk380 over a p9 would be a step down for me personally.

couzin

Post by couzin »

Keith B wrote:Kahr tells you straight out in the manual that you must break them in with at least 200 rounds before they will function properly. This is just a case of the purchaser not following manufacturers guidelines and blaming the gun. :totap:
Yep :iagree:
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

dfwxd45

Post by dfwxd45 »

I purchased a Kahr CM9 a few months ago. It functioned perfectly through the break in rounds and I've had no problems since that either. It is a great little gun. It shoots well and it is a great size for concealed carry.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”