Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Ace5299
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Stock up on ammo

Post by Ace5299 »

Shinesintx wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I don't for one second believe society is going to come unglued and all of us will resort to killing each other. I can hope... But I really doubt it will happen. What I am is an opportunist. Three times in my lifetime I have watched politics cause ammo and certain firearms become very expensive. The third time I made a killing unloading AK47's that I paid 300 bucks each for. I don't mind a three hundred percent profit... I am a true believer in capitalism :mrgreen: . I also have more rounds than I can realistically count of the "popular" calibers and paid 25-40% less than folks are paying right now. A bet I am willing to make...and quite frankly won't lose either way if I am wrong is that the power structure of our government is about to shove four more years of odumbell straight up our noses. Buy all the ammo you can afford right now! Pick up a few cheap "assault" rifles while your at it. Either way, you won't be stuck with them.

Funny thing happened at the end of 08... The beginning of the end for a free American society. I was at the range lobbing 100's of rounds of ammo down the lane while watching folks around me counting shots as if they were rationing water for a trip across the desert. I figure Odumbell helped me make about ten grand or so... LOL. You can only imagine what will happen if they give him four years with no concerns about
Guess what I am doing right now...buying all the cheap "assault" rifles and high capacity mags I can get! Odumbell loses...I can unload them for what I paid or a slight gain. Odumbell wins and I make a nice profit!
:iagree:

Dayum you for putting those thoughts in my head. :mad5

Seriously though, thats a great idea...off to Cheaper than Dirt in McKinney tomorrow.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 74novaman »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Guess what I am doing right now...buying all the cheap "assault" rifles and high capacity mags I can get! Odumbell loses...I can unload them for what I paid or a slight gain. Odumbell wins and I make a nice profit!
The same ATF that likes sending guns to cartels in Mexico is going to take a very dim view on you buying guns with the intent to sell them.

I wish you well, but its not something I'd do...much less post about on an open forum.
TANSTAAFL

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

No, you got it wrong. He bought with intent to collect but later decided he needed cash for bills, or whatever. Just so happens the market shot up. Same thing happened to my 6 ARs November of 2008. Actually I had no idea that the price was going to skyrocket but I sold all mine for at least triple as well. When prices came down last year I did "rebuild" my collection....

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

rm9792 wrote:No, you got it wrong. He bought with intent to collect but later decided he needed cash for bills, or whatever. Just so happens the market shot up. Same thing happened to my 6 ARs November of 2008. Actually I had no idea that the price was going to skyrocket but I sold all mine for at least triple as well. When prices came down last year I did "rebuild" my collection....
It doesn't matter how I look at it.

But when he posts that he bought them with the intent of selling them at inflated prices, it is possible for the ATF to take exception to that.

Not saying its right, or that they'd have a good case against him...but if I did buy guns with the intent of selling them after the market went up, I certainly wouldn't talk about it on an open forum....just in case. ;-)
TANSTAAFL

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Not arguing that. I cringed when i saw that. Odds are slim ATF is looking but Murphy is out there......

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

74novaman wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
The same ATF that likes sending guns to cartels in Mexico is going to take a very dim view on you buying guns with the intent to sell them.

I wish you well, but its not something I'd do...much less post about on an open forum.

There is no limit on how many guns I am allowed to collect and there is no law against collecting guns that I believe will increase in value. There is also no law against me selling guns from my collection at a profit. I am good collecting weapons legally and occasionally selling a few here and there if I decide I need the money. This is not considered a straw purchase.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03Lightningrocks

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Shinesintx wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I don't for one second believe society is going to come unglued and all of us will resort to killing each other. I can hope... But I really doubt it will happen. What I am is an opportunist. Three times in my lifetime I have watched politics cause ammo and certain firearms become very expensive. The third time I made a killing unloading AK47's that I paid 300 bucks each for. I don't mind a three hundred percent profit... I am a true believer in capitalism :mrgreen: . I also have more rounds than I can realistically count of the "popular" calibers and paid 25-40% less than folks are paying right now. A bet I am willing to make...and quite frankly won't lose either way if I am wrong is that the power structure of our government is about to shove four more years of odumbell straight up our noses. Buy all the ammo you can afford right now! Pick up a few cheap "assault" rifles while your at it. Either way, you won't be stuck with them.

Funny thing happened at the end of 08... The beginning of the end for a free American society. I was at the range lobbing 100's of rounds of ammo down the lane while watching folks around me counting shots as if they were rationing water for a trip across the desert. I figure Odumbell helped me make about ten grand or so... LOL. You can only imagine what will happen if they give him four years with no concerns about re-election.

Dayum you for putting those thoughts in my head. :mad5

Seriously though, thats a great idea...off to Cheaper than Dirt in McKinney tomorrow.
No kidding... It works! The AK's were the easiest to move at doubles and triples! SKS had very little potential. It is all about timing.... I sold century AK's to people on gun broker for 750-900 on the high end. I had not paid more than 350 for any of them. Now they are around four hundred last I looked. I plan to have twenty by November. I may be the only guy on the forum cheering for Odumbell to win...LOL. I bought a basic AR15 at Academy for 800 in October 08... A guy tried to buy it from me as I was leaving...lol. It was the bare bones smith. Sold it three or four weeks later on gun broker for 1200 dollars.

Of coarse the intentions were never to sell any of them... I was just getting rid of my private collection. :cool:
Here ya go Nova... You probably missed this post. By the way... Buying a weapon and thinking you might just sell it some day is not a straw purchase.

03Lightningrocks

rm9792 wrote:No, you got it wrong. He bought with intent to collect but later decided he needed cash for bills, or whatever. Just so happens the market shot up. Same thing happened to my 6 ARs November of 2008. Actually I had no idea that the price was going to skyrocket but I sold all mine for at least triple as well. When prices came down last year I did "rebuild" my collection....

Exactly! There would be a whole lot of gun collectors in jail if it was illegal to buy a gun in the hopes the value might increase at some point and the gun could be resold.

Back on topic though... I am noticing AK47's are already creeping up and starting to get harder to find.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
74novaman wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:

There is no limit on how many guns I am allowed to collect and there is no law against collecting guns that I believe will increase in value. There is also no law against me selling guns from my collection at a profit. I am good collecting weapons legally and occasionally selling a few here and there if I decide I need the money. This is not considered a straw purchase.
No one said it was a Straw Purchase. Everything you said is correct. What was said earlier though was along the lines of "I am going to buy these to resell for a profit when Obama is elected" which is not legal. Most of us have done this I am sure but you dont say it out loud. If I see a Colt 1911 for $400 I can flip for $700 I dang sure will snap it up but I wont announce why. I bought an AK at a gun show years ago for $175, a steal. I was asked to buy it from a guy for $500 not 30 minutes later. Heck yes I jumped on it and sold it to him. I bought with the intent to keep and enjoy but plans changed real fast. Intent is the key here, not the actions.
As far as I am concerned, more power to you. Wish I had the funds to stock up and do the same but am tied up trading stocks right now, its a real rollercoaster lately.

Shinesintx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Shinesintx »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
74novaman wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:

I guess the best way to buy an AR or AK...is have an intent to sell them to some of the Cartels with the intent of tracking them. I gotta sneaking suspicion that Holder and the current administration would fully support my "good intentions". ATF would surely look the other way in this. I guess where we could get into some serious trouble...would be to sell the weapons to persons with CHL licenses.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

rm9792 summed up my point nicely. I never said straw purchase (although I can see how my barb directed at the ATF could be miscontrued).

It's your life, and your decision.

Back on topic, regarding how much ammo one would need:

I usually try to hit the range at least once a month, and will normally go through at least 100 rounds.

If there's another ammo shortage for any reason, it would only take me 5 months to chew through 500 rounds easy.

Try to anticipate your needs, and stock appropriately. A good supply of anything (ammo, water, food, etc) is never a terrible idea.
TANSTAAFL

03Lightningrocks

74novaman wrote:rm9792 summed up my point nicely. I never said straw purchase (although I can see how my barb directed at the ATF could be miscontrued).

It's your life, and your decision.

Back on topic, regarding how much ammo one would need:

I usually try to hit the range at least once a month, and will normally go through at least 100 rounds.

If there's another ammo shortage for any reason, it would only take me 5 months to chew through 500 rounds easy.

Try to anticipate your needs, and stock appropriately. A good supply of anything (ammo, water, food, etc) is never a terrible idea.
Yeah... That was what I thought you meant when I read the ATF comment. You are correct about one thing... There is a fine line between being a for profit gun dealer and a simple collector who buys weapons hoping they will be worth more money in the future. The fact that all my trading in firearms goes through an FFL... with the rare exception of a private trade here or there... And actually I can't remember the last time I made a private sell. My dry sense of humor in the wording of my original post came through differently than I meant it to. I do get the point you were making.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I am starting to feel understocked. I maybe have 10k in assorted ammo, mostly .45.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”