Stock up on ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Ace5299
Posts in topic: 4

Stock up on ammo

Post by Ace5299 »

Sorry for the silly question but as I read about stocking up on ammo...I assume you are talking range type ammo? Is that correct? I have a few hundred carry ammo and about 500 range ammo. Do I need more carry ammo? If so, how much more?

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stock up on ammo

Post by Oldgringo »

Oodles! Everyone needs oodles of ammo. Get some!

jmra

Post by jmra »

You might want more range ammo depending on how often you go to the range and if you restock after every trip to the range. As far as the carry ammo, I just have a few boxes of self-dense ammo that I rotate in my mags. I never had a problem finding expensive ammo on the shelf. It's always the cheap stuff that gets hard to find.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

How much do you have room for? Make more room. Then when that is stuffed, move on to the wife's shoe boxes. LOL
:coolgleamA:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

FishInTx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FishInTx »

jmra wrote:You might want more range ammo depending on how often you go to the range and if you restock after every trip to the range. As far as the carry ammo, I just have a few boxes of self-dense ammo that I rotate in my mags. I never had a problem finding expensive ammo on the shelf. It's always the cheap stuff that gets hard to find.
:iagree: OODLES!!!!

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Think of a threshold that you would consider "obsessive" and double it. That's what I do. :lol:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Shinesintx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Shinesintx »

pbwalker wrote:Think of a threshold that you would consider "obsessive" and double it. That's what I do. :lol:
Wise words. :tiphat:

I just bought 700 rounds of 9mm at Walmart the other day. Doing this was sad for two reasons: 1) It did not add much (percentage wise) to what I already have 2) I dont know where I am gonna put it. :shock:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Ace5299 wrote:Sorry for the silly question but as I read about stocking up on ammo...I assume you are talking range type ammo? Is that correct? I have a few hundred carry ammo and about 500 range ammo. Do I need more carry ammo? If so, how much more?
Personally, I don't store much self-defense ammo. I probably have a couple of boxes for each pistol. I bulk up on the FMJ stuff. It's primarily for the range, but it will still put a hurtin' on somebody if necessary.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

10mmillie

Post by 10mmillie »

I roll my own on a Dillon 550 so stocking up is a good thing. I don't think there is such a thing as too much ammo. Heck when I buy .22lr at walmart I buy 4 bricks at a time.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Shinesintx wrote:
pbwalker wrote:Think of a threshold that you would consider "obsessive" and double it. That's what I do. :lol:

I just bought 700 rounds of 9mm at Walmart the other day. Doing this was sad for two reasons: 1) It did not add much (percentage wise) to what I already have 2) I dont know where I am gonna put it. :shock:
Want to hear sad? I bought 1500 rounds of 9mm from Walmart and I don't own anything that shoots 9mm.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

Also think about how much ammo you can CARRY! I had to move mine last year when we were threatened by a forrest fire.
It looked like I was driving a "low rider". I had to leave my generator and 10 5 gallon cans full of gas behind. I figured a power outage was the least of my worries. Another question: How many guns can you carry? How many guns can you swim with? ;-)
It's hard to be prepared for everthing all the time.
Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

jmra wrote:
Shinesintx wrote:

Want to hear sad? I bought 1500 rounds of 9mm from Walmart and I don't own anything that shoots 9mm.
Even sadder, I sold my Glock 45, had oodles of boxes of ammo I gave away for free, then at this gun show ... there was this Stainless XD45 with thumb safety at such a good price, I bought it, and then had to buy ammo again.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Nano
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Nano »

OK, I'm the STUPID one in the group. Why do I need an unbelievable number of rounds for my 9mm pistol. Are we going to war? Is a rebellion coming? Are all the guns and rounds going to be confiscated? I'm not joking, WHY? I haven't owned a gun for very long.
NRA Member

74novaman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 74novaman »

Nano wrote:OK, I'm the STUPID one in the group. Why do I need an unbelievable number of rounds for my 9mm pistol. Are we going to war? Is a rebellion coming? Are all the guns and rounds going to be confiscated? I'm not joking, WHY? I haven't owned a gun for very long.
Check out ammo prices over the last 20 years. (heck, gun prices too)

The mantra of "buy it cheap, stack it deep" allows you to enjoy shooting for less money than you would if you go pick up a box of ammo everytime you go to the range.

Since you're a new gun owner, you may not remember the panic buying of 08. Some calibers were impossible to find on the shelves anywhere, so if you had ammo stocked up, you got to go shoot and enjoy some range time. If you didn't...then you didn't. ;-)
Last edited by 74novaman on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”