Inexpensive Home Defense Shotgun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

stroguy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Inexpensive Home Defense Shotgun

Post by stroguy »

After they get the scattergun I guess the real recommendation is to clean it regularly outside on the front porch. Also it can be carried from car to home on a very regular basis until the neighbor is fully aware that the home and the occupants are fully capable of handling any intruder.

You know why the Navy sends aircraft carriers to countries with problems? Just the sight and knowledge that it is there goes a long ways.

Good luck to your friend.

eureka40
Posts in topic: 1

Post by eureka40 »

steveincowtown wrote:Google reviews on the H&R Pardner Protector. Cabella's has them for $169.99 until 12/14. I purchased one on Saturday and the fit and finish is very close to my 870.
:iagree:

Academy and Dick's has this model also. I've got two of them and they work like a hose. Very nice recoil pad. +1
TSRA Life Memeber

rcasady

Post by rcasady »

:iagree:

i'll probably get blasted but my last 2 remingtons i bought were crap ,,,im done 870 and a model 700 , quality is not the same
and for the pawn shops , id do a back flip if i found any weapon under $200 , they have lost their minds around my neck of the woods ,

i would also be happy with a maverick , academy specials !

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

stroguy wrote:After they get the scattergun I guess the real recommendation is to clean it regularly outside on the front porch. Also it can be carried from car to home on a very regular basis until the neighbor is fully aware that the home and the occupants are fully capable of handling any intruder.

You know why the Navy sends aircraft carriers to countries with problems? Just the sight and knowledge that it is there goes a long ways.

This will either deter the neighbor, or let him know that the disagreement has now been escalted to a gun fight.

I would be real careful if you choose to do this.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

+1 for the Mav88 :)

stroguy

Post by stroguy »

steveincowtown wrote:
stroguy wrote:After they get the scattergun I guess the real recommendation is to clean it regularly outside on the front porch. Also it can be carried from car to home on a very regular basis until the neighbor is fully aware that the home and the occupants are fully capable of handling any intruder.

This will either deter the neighbor, or let him know that the disagreement has now been escalted to a gun fight.

Understood, but obviously the neighbor has zero understanding of what the victim is capable of. This is a 50/50 proposition, but the neighbor will now know. Call my bluff.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

stroguy wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:

Understood, but obviously the neighbor has zero understanding of what the victim is capable of. This is a 50/50 proposition, but the neighbor will now know. Call my bluff.

Agreed, it could work....just be careful! Only the OP knows just how crazy his neighbor is.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

I'm going to second the pawn shop recommendation. Some will take back guns that don't work. Some have no idea what a working gun looks like, so take someone who is knowledgeable. I've seen a nice 870 (less than 1 year old) go for less than 200 OTD (I was the "knowledgeable" guy). I would with him, inspect the gun, and get them to come off the sticker some if they are willing.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

stroguy

Post by stroguy »

The pawn shop is a good source, just understand pawn 101. Nothing goes out the door at marked price. If they don't haggle, there is another down the street. If you don't haggle then they will not pull the hook out of your mouth when you leave.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

texasmusic wrote:I'm going to second the pawn shop recommendation. Some will take back guns that don't work. Some have no idea what a working gun looks like, so take someone who is knowledgeable. I've seen a nice 870 (less than 1 year old) go for less than 200 OTD (I was the "knowledgeable" guy). I would with him, inspect the gun, and get them to come off the sticker some if they are willing.
I have to move to wherever you guys are! I have never seen an 870 in a pawnshop, and never have seen any pump 12 gauge at a pawnshop for under $250!
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

steveincowtown wrote:
texasmusic wrote:I'm going to second the pawn shop recommendation. Some will take back guns that don't work. Some have no idea what a working gun looks like, so take someone who is knowledgeable. I've seen a nice 870 (less than 1 year old) go for less than 200 OTD (I was the "knowledgeable" guy). I would with him, inspect the gun, and get them to come off the sticker some if they are willing.
I have to move to wherever you guys are! I have never seen an 870 in a pawnshop, and never have seen any pump 12 gauge at a pawnshop for under $250!
This, and the other Big NO GO Pawn shop post above.. Might just be the areas I live in (within 50 miles of a Army base) but in 2 dozen years, I have never found a deal at a pawn shop for a firearm.

In the Killeen area, most guns are marked at or near MSRP,, and the "dicker" down price is in the common high end of used gun prices for a privet sale. so an 870 is going to be tagged $380 or so, and go out the door at $250 or more....... Im seeing the same thing on hand guns,,rifles.. Perhaps I just suck at pawnshopping :headscratch I'd be happy to take a lesson :thumbs2: Or,,, hey,, Is there an App for that :totap:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

punkndisorderly

Post by punkndisorderly »

Ditto on the pawn shop recommendation. Lot's of cheap used shotguns out there.

I wonder if a double barrel coach gun or even revolver might be a better idea if it's going to be a "shoot it once and stick it in a closet for the next 10 years" kind of gun. Easy to load, easy to unload, easy to make safe, and no worries of short stroking.
Texas CHL Instructor

steve817

Post by steve817 »

steveincowtown wrote:
I got my Mossberg 500 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel at one for 175.00 just a few months ago.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

USASGT

Post by USASGT »

gigag04 wrote:870. The standard.
:iagree: Just picked up one myself a couple weeks ago.
U.S. Army 1982-87
Patriot Guard Rider
N.R.A. Member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...I would recommend NOT to do this...the neighbor already has emotional issues, and I can see the look on your face already when the grand jury asks why you felt the need to flaunt your new gun ...would I want to do it???? of course I would...would I do it??? no...
...you good people aren't the Navy...and you don't have the Marines standing by to get you out of trouble... :smilelol5:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”