Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RSJ
Posts in topic: 5

Thinking of getting my first 1911

Post by RSJ »

Where do I start?

I have done some research and tried out several friend's 1911s.
I want a 1911 for range/target purposes. I already have a Glock 26 and LCR for carry, although am open to trying a new rig.
I also currently have a Glock 17 and 22 for target/range/competition purposes.

Looking in the $600-800 range (prefer new), probably 5inch barrel. Want reliability, durability, well built.

Thoughts on the Remington 1911-R1 Centennial edition vs Ruger SR1911 vs $800ish Kimber?
Anything else I am leaving out?

Side note, wanting to pick one up this weekend. I'll be at the Dallas Market Hall show (or any black friday killer deals) if that opens/closes up any other options.
Thanks in advance! :tiphat:

edited to add: I don't have a preference on the 70 or 80 series, nor a preference on any specific cosmetics.
Last edited by RSJ on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Thinking of getting my first 1911

Post by The Annoyed Man »

If you're in the $500-$800 range, have you considered a Springfield? I own a Loaded model and like it a lot. I also own a Kimber, but it's more in the $950-$1000 range. I sure do like it though. Also, my son owns a 5" Taurus which was very reasonably priced and had a lot of extra features for the price. It has been a pretty reliable gun, and you might be able to find one at the lower end of that price range.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rm9792
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rm9792 »

in that range a Springfield is a great suggestion. You can go Rock Island for a lot cheaper but no frills.

Topic author
RSJ

Post by RSJ »

The Annoyed Man wrote:If you're in the $500-$800 range, have you considered a Springfield? I own a Loaded model and like it a lot. I also own a Kimber, but it's more in the $950-$1000 range. I sure do like it though. Also, my son owns a 5" Taurus which was very reasonably priced and had a lot of extra features for the price. It has been a pretty reliable gun, and you might be able to find one at the lower end of that price range.
Thanks for reminding me about Springfield! I looked around an like the EMP (too $$$$ though), and the Range Officer model.
On Kimber, I recall seeing several of their basic models for 700-800, but haven't shot one before, I guess I just hear good things.
I have heard mixed things about Taurus, although they are cheaper than most of the other choices, so I could always save extra cash for replacement parts, lol.
NRA Member

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I have all of the above and no issues with any of them but the Taurus. Mine was battering the frame but my smith fixed it right up and it is a great shooter now. I carry a Kimber Pro CDP almost exclusively, it is a tack driver and has never failed me. I do prefer Springers and Colts for my safe queens. If I have to get just one it would be a SS Springfield in 4". The RO is a real nice gun though. You can find the Taurus new in the $500 range and used for about $450.

Topic author
RSJ

Post by RSJ »

rm9792 wrote:I have all of the above and no issues with any of them but the Taurus. Mine was battering the frame but my smith fixed it right up and it is a great shooter now. I carry a Kimber Pro CDP almost exclusively, it is a tack driver and has never failed me. I do prefer Springers and Colts for my safe queens. If I have to get just one it would be a SS Springfield in 4". The RO is a real nice gun though. You can find the Taurus new in the $500 range and used for about $450.
Thanks for the info! What about the Remington 1911 R1 (centennial) and the Ruger SR1911? Thoughts?
NRA Member

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I have heard nothing bad about either and they are big names. I am waiting to get the Ruger myself till after xmas.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

Springfield > Kimber in that range all day long.

Get a step up from the GI model where you get real sights.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Zylo_X

Post by Zylo_X »

The Ruger SR1911 has had good reviews, but nobody at the shows has had any yet. I've used Rugers since the P85 with no issues, and would expect the same from the 1911. I've had no issues with my Taurus, and it has a lifetime warranty. For a range gun, I'd say you get more for your $$ with the Taurus, depending on your feelings about an ambi safety.
a.k.a: 2LOGICL - While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

A-R

Post by A-R »

STI Spartan. Best bang for the buck in features AND quality in that price range. And while the frame comes from Armscor in Philipines (nearly all 1911s in this price range come from overseas, including Springfields from Brazil) the rest of the gun is made and fitted right here in Georgetown, TX)

I'd rank it like this:

1. STI
2. Ruger (because it's all made in USA)
3. Springfield

everyone else

Rocstar

Post by Rocstar »

I am also thinking of getting a 1911 and have been looking around quite a bit lately online. A-R already mentioned it, but I would have suggested looking at the STI Spartan as well.

I am trying to decide how much I want to customize mine right off the bat as well, so I am also looking at some of the Rock Island Armory and American Tactical Imports offereings as well. It's just hard for me to think that their quality would be anywhere near the STI though.

I look forward to hearing more about what all else you find and wish you luck in your search!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Rocstar wrote:... but I would have suggested looking at the STI Spartan as well.
... It's just hard for me to think that their quality would be anywhere near the STI though.
Note that the Springfield Armory 1911 has a forged frame and forged slide. The STI Spartan does not.

I picked up brand new a Springfield Armory "Loaded" 1911 with night sights for $720 earlier this year.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

Kimber makes a 1911 that runs 650 to 700 at the shows.

It's all black and referred to as the pro cary II or Custom carry II in 5" barrel.

I have the 4" 1911 9mm version and it's a very solid shooter.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

as for my 1st 1911. i went with the RIA two tone! nicely priced below $500. i figured i'll start with this and really get to know a 1911. now i'm looking at the sig scorpion.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Be warned your first 1911 is always your first, but never your last.... :biggrinjester:
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”