Your thoughts/opinions please on a gun purchase

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
txgrl
Posts in topic: 6

Your thoughts/opinions please on a gun purchase

Post by txgrl »

Hi everyone, I read this forum frequently but my first time to post a topic. Here is my issue: (sorry I got long wind-ed)

I won a raffle for a rifle, caliber of choice, or a $400.00 purchase credit at a gun shop. I really need to use this and not leave the gun shop hanging with this outstanding on their books any longer. That just isn't right. ( I won this back in January)

Ok, I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER RIFLE, I already have a 30-30, 222, 270 that I don't get to shoot anymore. The 270 has been my favorite. Then my husband has his own rifles. (Yes, I am a girl here)

Now, in addition to the above mentioned guns I have an "ole 22 six-shooter from the 70's that I really am not fond of at all and even thought about trading in.....until I saw how much a new one cost! So I will just keep it I guess. THEN..........

Last year I struggled with the purchase of my 1st handgun (the ole 6-shooter just doesn't count). Many discouraged me from getting an auto vs revolver, many have discouraged getting a CHL but I'm pretty sure I will take the CHL class next month regardless of what anyone says. AND.....what I purchased last year was a Ruger LCP .380.......I REALLY LIKE IT & FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH IT - even though for a woman I have larger hands and it is a tiny little thing. I just took it apart & cleaned it myself & chuckle....it still works. It was really easy!

SO now, what do I get with my $400. credit? It can go toward any purchase but not the CHL course. I'm concerned that a revolver will confuse me going from auto to revolver & back. But I know practice makes perfect. And yeah, yeah, I've heard over & over a woman should have a revolver b/c of reliability & shooting though a purse if necessary. All the guys at the guns store showed me their revolvers in pocket. I DUNNO. Here is an opportunity to get a "freebe" & I'm stressing as if it were money I had to work for, ha!ha!. Any opinion is appreciated. Here is what I've considered:

a. S&W Lady Smith revolver .38 special - nice looking gun although it has been suggested that one should get a .357 b/c ammo choices of .357 or .38 It felt good in my hand at the gun shop but have no idea what it would feel like to shoot. I just like the look & feel.

b. Glock 27 .40 pistol

c. Shortest barrel 12ga for home defense (we have 3 shotguns in the house but one is our son's, one is a dbl barrel 20 ga, & a 12 ga but they are all LONG barreled, plus these aren't "MINE" to put where I want so I KNOW where it is when I might have to have it)

d. Then I saw the intriguing "Circuit Judge"....what a conversation piece that is! I've even considered "The Judge" in a short barrel pistol. Not so sure about either though. We have a friend that has a long barrel Judge pistol but we tease him that that gun will do him no good in the glove box when the BG has you you the parking lot. Then, for me, how to decide what to load it with, 410/.45............wouldn't that be like throwing out light tackle then the big fish comes along and you wish you were "loaded" with the other? HELP....

e. This is where my husband would really think I've lost it and that would be to buy another Ruger .380. I am convinced that if one decides to conceal carry, then it has to be a gun that is not a hassle, too heavy, too big, just plain really inconvenient. That is why I got the original .380.......(PLUS IT HOLDS 7 VS 5 OF A REVOLVER) despite discussions that it is not enough "bang". And what would be better than a 2nd mag than a 2nd gun already loaded?

I'm thinking I need to go find a Glock & the S&W too shoot. But for a quicker decision, just get the shotgun or 2nd LCP. Financially though, I would be more apt to buy the shotgun vs another pistol, thus considering the pistol as a freebie or "near freebie". Out of all the above, "The Judge" is last on my list right now. My reasoning for a 2nd Ruger LCP is b/c I would think that being VERY COMFORTABLE & PROFICIENT with a style/brand/caliber gun outweighs the possible issues that might be encountered switching from one gun to an entirely different gun if we are talking concealed carry. Isn't that a little like switching from baseball to football? They are both ballgames but you play entirely different and the ball itself is still a ball but not the same? Then again, a different pistol might become my next favorite and the LCP can be a paper weight. :lol:

What do ya'll think? :???:

Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Your thoughts/opinions please on a gun purchase

Post by Bulldog1911 »

If you will be taking the CHL class, I would recommend using a semi-auto b/c if you qualify with SA, then you can carry both revolver and SA. With that said, I wouldn't recommend using the LCP for qualification test. What size are you looking for? Compact? If so, you can get the Ruger SR9c for about 400.

P.S. dont let anyone discourage you from taking your CHL class.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

I'm not overly-fond of recommending shotties. I DO recommend that you try out a few pistols and see which one feels best in your hands (not sure where you live, but try to find a gun store that has a range and gun rentals). The firearms that gives you the most confidence is the one you want to buy. I honestly don't think you'll regret buying another LCP, although I'm very unfond of mouse calibers. I like Glocks, and a Glock 27 is a fine pistol, but it all boils down (again) to what you're comfy with.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
txgrl

Post by txgrl »

Ikd & Bulldog1911, thanks for the responses

Bulldog, I appreciate the CHL support.

It seems that in your opinion that having SA over a revolver is non-issue. A lot of forums tend to look at the SA as "more complicated" particularly for a woman but gee, I look at the SA and see it as simple. Simple to load, simple to shoot, simple to re-load, & simple to take down & clean. I don't get it....the opinions. As far as reliability, anything mechanical can malfunction. Of course my experience is only with the LCP.

Re: revolvers shooting through a purse? When I start to CC, it makes more since to have the gun "on your person" than in a purse. I already try to have my keys in hand and cell phone on my body vs in my purse. Just makes common since to me.

So for both of you, if I get another SA, what is your opinions of then the 9mm vs .40? Glock over Ruger? I'm fishing for anyone's experience or opinions.

Smaller = better for CC?
Cheaper ammo for more practice? would that be the 9mm or .40 (.380 makes my little Ruger LCP an expensive hobby but I REALLY LIKE THE GUN)
Recoil / Re-aim 9mm vs .40 - just in case I ever had to use it in a save your life stressful situation and needed more than one shot.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 5

Post by speedsix »

...I'd recommend for YOUR shotgun, get a Mossberg 500C Youth model in 20 gauge...it's got a shorter regular shoulder stock, the barrel's short enough already, I think 24"...that'll be fine in the house...it comes in plain or ribbed barrel...plenty potent and I think 6 shots total...not too heavy and pleasant to shoot...buckshot or slugs...
...since you already have a .380, why not try a 9mm??? a Glock 19 (midsized) is what a lot of policewomen carry concealed...Glocks are easy to shoot well...even a used one(cheaper) would be reliable...with normal sized hands, plenty to hold onto...your range, if they supply guns to qualify with at the CHL class, will likely supply a Glock 17 or 19...they may even have one you can rent and try out...my wife had never fired a handgun, qualified with a Glock 19 248 of 250...I've been practicin' my yesma'ams ever since...
...if you want more power, I'd skip .40 and go .45...the recoil of the slower bullet makes a .45 fun to shoot...the .40 is a lot snappier...I've had two small ladies shoot my Ruger P97 and P90 for their first gun experience...they both did well and loved it...you can find the P97 used for around $350...smooth and rounded for concealed carry...a honey of a pistol...

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

M&P 9c. Less recoil, more rounds, cheaper ammo.

You can change the back strap to fit your hand.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

txgrl wrote:Last year I struggled with the purchase of my 1st handgun (the ole 6-shooter just doesn't count). Many discouraged me from getting an auto vs revolver, many have discouraged getting a CHL but I'm pretty sure I will take the CHL class next month regardless of what anyone says. AND.....what I purchased last year was a Ruger LCP .380.......I REALLY LIKE IT & FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH IT - even though for a woman I have larger hands and it is a tiny little thing. I just took it apart & cleaned it myself & chuckle....it still works. It was really easy!
If you like your LCP, have you looked at the Ruger LC9? Or maybe a SR9 or SR9c?
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CC Italian »

You weren't just at Spring guns and Ammo by any chance because I just got done talking to a lady who was eyeing a Glock 27?

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

+1 on the Glock 19
I think it's about the perfect all-around gun. It's small enough to conceal, big enough to handle easily. I tried a G27 and I just though it was a fat little handful.
I keep my g19 on the bedside table in one of those 'daytime' gun cases. I can pick it up and walk out the door and it looks like I'm going to work.

As for 9mm vs .40, I don't think the extra oomph of the .40 is worth the added recoil. I recently read a lot of PDs are starting to go back to 9mm.

I think you have enough shotguns. If one of those happens to be a Mossy or Remington pump, 18" barrels cost $100 and screw on in 2 minutes.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Well, I will tell you what I told this lady. I own a Glock 27 and I would not recommend it for small stature women who have no experience with a higher recoil pistol. All of my girlfriends and even some of my guy friends do not like it. The recoil is too much for them because they do not practice enough. It doesn't bother me at all because I practice with it all the time but most smaller women and men will not shoot it very long. I would only recommend the Glock 26 out of the subcompact Glocks, it is a lot easier to shoot and even a beginner can shoot it. A 19 would be even better but that might be too big for what you are looking for?

Also, you don't sound like a girly girl (like my girlfriend) so you might be able to handle a 27. Do you have small hands, are you little etc. If you live in the Houston area I could meet your husband and yourself at a range and let you shoot my 27 at the range. I also have several over handguns (Ruger SP-101, Smith and Wesson 908(both of these are good for women with small hands), Ruger P95, a Springfield 1911 and a Glock 20 (but you won’t like that).

The ladysmith is a good gun also but my girlfriend got to shoot a ladysmith and and SP-101 and she preferred the SP-101 so that is her revolver of choice. She is very short, under 5 feet and has tiny hands. Her other gun is the single stack 908 S&W which she also loves.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Also, I personally don't think you are going to shoot .357 loads in a ladysmith very long. I snub nose .357 is brutal compared to even my Glock 20. I forgot I also have a S&W Bodyguard .38+P (I know I have to many) and it recoils harder then my 10mm. I would recommend the .357 mag in a Ruger SP-101 with a 2.25 inch barrel if you want a snub nose .357. It weighs 4-5 ounces more then the ladysmith and will help soak up the .357 recoil.

Topic author
txgrl

Post by txgrl »

CC Italian - no, that wasn't me at Spring Guns & Ammo. But glad to hear more ladies are looking at guns.

Ropin

Post by Ropin »

Is there a range around you that does rentals? If so, you might consider swinging by to try some options out.

And don't put too much stock in opinions you hear about what a woman should have, can shoot, or needs. Nobody knows but you...and even though you're trying to figure it out still, if you choose wrong, the good news is there's a great market for used guns. Sell the mistake and put the money into something else.

Good luck...but have fun with it and don't stress too much. I know I would LOVE to have a $400 blank check at a gun shop!
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Like Ropin said, handle as many handguns as you can. First, does it feel right in your hand? If it doesn't it doesn't matter what caliber it is but I think there is no reason not to step up to at least a 9mm in a semi auto. Way more power and ammo is cheaper to.

Topic author
txgrl

Post by txgrl »

CC Italian - Thank you the info and I will consider your generous offer.

Your are right, I can still dress like a girly girl when warranted but over-all, no, I'm not "fragile". I'm about 5'8" and about 150#, larger hands than the smaller stature girly-girl but I am getting older and not as strong as I use to be so an elbow in the BG's gut or across his face and throwing him over my shoulder isn't an option anymore. Plus, my goodness, I don't know what has happened for sure in recent years/months but the thugs must have bred like rats/roaches and travel together like packs of coyotes or wild dogs. It's crazy! Not that having a gun will always save you but at least you have something to work with and a hope of survival if attacked. And the fact that you can give them your belongings and they might still kill you anyway.

You can't have your head in the sand and say "it will never happen to me" or "that doesn't happen where I live" because that is not the real world anymore and I must refuse to be a victim.

About 15 years ago, my husband and I were in a mall, both looking to the right into a store window as we walked along. We were Christmas shopping, A group of thugs, I think there were three, could have been four I don't remember, one of them came up behind me really fast and shoulder tackled me really hard and grabbed my purse that was on my shoulder. He was really surprised when he didn't knock me down and I had a hold of my purse too. When he hit me it lunged me forward, I planted my foot & turned to face him right in the eye. He took off running and I told my husband to watch his hands and where he went that I didn't know if he had gotten my wallet out of the purse. That's when I noticed his thuggy friends a few feet behind us stone froze. Ticked me off!!!! They ran the other way at that point. My husband was right beside me and that wasn't an issue for them. We've had a few other things happen through the years to us or friends & family.

By the way, "back then" I was going to martial arts 3x week, a 100# punching bag was my best friend, and I was able to do 200 "boy" push-ups on my fingertips. Well, I am not that person anymore, ha!ha! Need other "equalization" methods for a "just in case". I pray it never happens.

Think I will go shoot my .380 now for a little stress release while it is a nice evening and I'll check the thread again later. Thanks everybody for all your input.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”