buying off internet

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
fishfree
Posts in topic: 1

buying off internet

Post by fishfree »

trying to expand my shopping options, any comments on buying off the net with delivery to a local ffl?

specifically experience with hinterlandoutfitters (houston) would be of interest
thanks

texanron

Re: buying off internet

Post by texanron »

fishfree wrote:trying to expand my shopping options, any comments on buying off the net with delivery to a local ffl?

specifically experience with hinterlandoutfitters (houston) would be of interest
thanks
Can't speak to dealing with hinterlandoutfitters but with the prices I see in the local gun shops I will only buy off the internet and ship to local ffl.
Good Luck!
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

gwtrikenut

Post by gwtrikenut »

I find the prices at gun shows to be the best deals. Maybe it is just the guns I am looking for, but it works for me. And it must work for quite a few others, cause they keep havin em.

Bulldog1911

Post by Bulldog1911 »

gwtrikenut wrote:I find the prices at gun shows to be the best deals. Maybe it is just the guns I am looking for, but it works for me. And it must work for quite a few others, cause they keep havin em.
Yah, usually, by the time you pay shipping and transfer fee's, it's about the same as a show.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

jonrjen

Post by jonrjen »

I have become almost an internet only purchase person, when it comes to new guns. I can usually save some good cash buying off of the net....you do have to look deep into the listings as to fees charged. Some dealers are simply stupid with what they charge for shipping. And then you have to watch for dealers who do an up charge if you pay with a credit card. Most charge 3%, but I have seen a few charge up to 6% for use of credit card payment. One of the last pistols I ordered via the net was a brand new in the box from Taurus, Taurus 38spl+p for $200. Selling dealer did not charge extra for credit card use, and offered free shipping on the purchase. My only extra fee was to my FFL which cost me $10.
I like to shop for pistol grips of Amazon which offers free shipping and no sales tax.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I think most of my gun purchases the last few years have been internet from private sellers.
For my interests I have to look a little further than some. Never a problem.

Never paid a credit card upcharge. Many will waive it if you tell them it's a debit card.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

I've purchased off the net and overall as stated earlier if the FFL is reasonable it's saved me quite a lot compared to retail from a storefront. Lowpriceguns.com is one I've used before ... they're about as inexpensive as I can find. :clapping:
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

doc.lonestar

Post by doc.lonestar »

online has been good to me. typically I like to buy and walk out the door, but over the past year I have been able to snag some good deals online.

heres the thing though with gunshows - you really have to know what you are wanting to buy AND willing to pay. shop around and see what there is. take this information to the gun shows WITH CASH. Now you know about what you are wanting to pay and you have cash in hand to wheel and deal.

One example - my American Classic Commander - I paid approx 55.00 less buying online and paying my ffl 10.00 ymmv depending on your relationship with your ffl.

Be safe,
Doc
Texas DPS Certified CHL Instructor AND
Maker - Premimum Handcrafted Leather Concealment Holsters

http://www.lonestar-tactical.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edc

G30 with 2x12 spare magazines
Ruger LCR bug with 2x5 spare quickstrips
Coldsteel Spartan folder
Quark Tactical

boba

Post by boba »

It's hard to haggle online but you can use online ads to encourage local shops to lower their price. Maybe they will and maybe they won't. but if I give them the chance I feel no guilt if they turn down my business.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

In the difficult economic times we're experiencing it's hard to encourage someone to pay a little more to a hometown small firearms dealer, but I try to do that for new firearm purchases. If it's available locally from an independent that's my first choice for firearms, hardware, auto parts, etc. I do succumb to really good internet deals for some things, especially electronics and I mostly buy used firearms on GunBroker. Being on a fixed income doesn't allow me the ability to follow my principals 100%, but I used to be willing to pay more to local merchants for everything. I just hate to see the Mom and Pops disappear. They were always there to help with experience and support.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

boba

Post by boba »

puma guy wrote:They were always there to help with experience and support.
I agree those shops are worth supporting, but I have known many more local shops that were always there to spread rumors and flat out bad information about guns and gun laws.

michael e

Post by michael e »

None of the deals online seem good after factoring in all the other fees. I buy from a member here and he gets prices down to better than the gun shows on the stuff I have bought.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

michael e wrote:None of the deals online seem good after factoring in all the other fees. I buy from a member here and he gets prices down to better than the gun shows on the stuff I have bought.
Case in point - I just talked my buddy into purchasing his Kahr from Carter's rather than an online seller. I just bought my daughters M&P 9mm there also. After considering shipping and transfer cost the difference was about $10-15 more at Carter's including sales tax. In my buddy's case shipping was free and it was still only 15 bucks difference. I have an independent FFL that I've purchased from in the past mainly for black rifles.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

B3XD

Post by B3XD »

Technically one cannot charge an upcharge for use of credit cards, the cc companies will shut you out. You may however price as if cc were to be used and give a discount for cash or cash equivalents.

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

B3XD wrote:Technically one cannot charge an upcharge for use of credit cards, the cc companies will shut you out. You may however price as if cc were to be used and give a discount for cash or cash equivalents.
This has been cussed and discussed over and over in other threads. If it was illegal then everyone would not do it. And everyone does it, online, at shows, at local mom and pop shops...everywhere...its so frustrating. Paying CC fees is part of owning and doing business especially in this day and age. I can see going to the donut shop and them not letting you ring up a bag of donut holes on your amex card, but cards are a thing of the present. I manage a busy shop and there is NO WAY I could get away with charging 3% more paying with a card. People would run me out of business in a heart beat.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”