Practice drills to get used to trigger pull of LCP

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
srfalke
Posts in topic: 1

Practice drills to get used to trigger pull of LCP

Post by srfalke »

I carry an LCP due to the fact that I wear slacks, and a button down type shirt to work. I have always shot bigger guns (others ar G23, PPK/S, S&W 686 among others) with "normal" trigger pulls. I am having a hard time getting used to the trigger pull of this new LCP. It has a laser, and I am practicing drawing and dry firing in a full size mirror to try to get used to the trigger pull. I went to the range this week, shot the G23, the PPK/S and the LCP. Now I feel less confident about using the LCP in a hurry situation. Does anyone have any specific exercises or drills that I can practice to make myself more comfortable with this long trigger pull.

I am also thinking about going bigger (P238/Mustang) but I love the size/weight of the LCP. I really like the PPK/S, but is too heavy/big to carry in front pocket. I have not checked the size/weight difference of the PPK/S and the P238.

sugar land dave

Re: Practice drills to get used to trigger pull of LCP

Post by sugar land dave »

If you have the finger strength to pull the trigger then you can get used to the LCP. You just have to continue to practice with it at the range so that you become accustomed to the gun's feel. The long-pull double action trigger is necessary since there is no safety.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

I had to put around 1000 rounds through my M&P 9c before I was confident that I could point and shoot in a bad situation.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

CEOofEVIL

Post by CEOofEVIL »

If you keep praticing the dry fire technique you described you should get much better with the pull, as well as your accuracy and speed with the weapon. The fact that the LCP already has a laser on it really helps for the dry fire drills as it will let you see when you break the shot unevenly and miss your point of aim.

I don't own an LCP but I have shot my buddies a bit. I do own a Kel-tec P11 though, and it has a pretty heavy and long trigger pull on it. When I first got it, I was shooting it abysmally. It took a lot of practice and dry firing with snap caps to really get used to the pull, but it got better.

Just make sure the gun is safe to dry fire - it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in some snap caps just in case though. Hope this helps!

2up1down

Post by 2up1down »

Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire,,,,, with all safety rules observed, you will find at some point of practice that you can actually "stage" the first part of the long double action pull, to right before the release. Basically working into muscle memory removing the "slack" (length) of the trigger press. There is no substitute or short cut to perfect the technique, just lots of time with her in your hand safely dry firing and putting rounds down range. Best of luck.
Become a Student of the Law we live under and proficient in the protection of yourself: so you may protect your Family, State and way of Live. Awareness is your first defense, avoidance your first tactic. If engagement is forced, Stop when the threat is gone.

A-R

Post by A-R »

As said, dry fire is the key. And the laser will really help with this by giving some visual feedback as to target acquisition without firing live ammo.

I'd recommend a lot of consistent, slow dry firing until you're confident that you have the grip and trigger pull mechanics worked out. Practice this on very small targets (quarter size at across the room distances - the switch handle itself of a light switch works well) and watch that laser dot and try to move it as little as possible through the entire muscle movements of the full trigger pull and reset.

Then proceed to drawing from holster and quickly dry firing on a larger target - perhaps the light switch plate or a paper plate thumb tacked to the wall. By starting first slow and steady and getting the "proper" grip for you on the gun, this will give you a better base upon which to rely on for quicker self-defense type target acquisition. We all get sloppy when we go too fast too soon.

Remember: slow is smooth and smooth is fast

AND OF COURSE, MAKE SURE THERE IS NO AMMO ANYWHERE NEAR YOU WHILE DRY FIRING. ONLY EMPTY MAGS (IF YOU NEED THEM FOR A PINKY REST) IN THE ROOM WHERE YOU'RE DRY FIRING AND NO LOOSE AMMO.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

There is another drill you can do that is more demanding than looking to see if there is laser movement while dry firing. I like to balance an empty, fired case on top of the front sight and then dry fire without it falling off.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

I am not a fan of the LCP, what I have found with them is that I needed to use the tip of my trigger finger. Trying to shoot it at the first knuckle as I do with other handguns makes the gun move too much. I am not willing to change the way I shoot for a specific pistol. I wonder if anybody has had a gunsmith try to do something with the LCP trigger and smooth it out and possible shorten the pull length.
Salty1

bigmoney

Post by bigmoney »

As a right hander I only shoot mine with my left hand, one handed. My intentions with it are primarily backup, and can't imagine that I would ever use it unless it was within a 5 ft distance or less. I've already decided that if I'm carrying the LCP and not my M&P, I would not engage with the LCP unless it became neccessary for my own safety (as in BG in my face at the time) mostly for accuracy issues. Either way I train mostly right handed with everything else, with the occassional switch over for obvious reasons, but try harder to adjust my left hand primarily to the feel of the LCP.
Don't choose a username while a stupid insurrance commercial is on the tv
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”