summer carry option?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
9mmLover
Posts in topic: 5

summer carry option?

Post by 9mmLover »

i just got me a taurus 85 ultra lite as a summer carry.

the DA trigger pull absolutely sucks. im going to get the wolff reduced power springs and also do some polishing to smooth out the pull. (done it before so i know what im doing)

also considering bobbing the hammer to prevent snags if i have it in a pocket.

ill be alternating the rounds in the cylinder. the first will be a hornday critical defense 110gr, then a 125gr golden saber+p

the red polymer insert in the hornday will help incase the perp has heavy clothing on, and i have full faith in the golden saber.

what do yall think? good setup?

my other option is a glock 32 which is kinda bulky, and is getting kinda uncombortable. i carry that with 125gr speer gold dot +ps.

texasmusic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: summer carry option?

Post by texasmusic »

If he's got heavy clothing on he needs to have his mental health evaluated!

He'd also be pretty easy to get away from after he collapsed from heat stroke. :biggrinjester:
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

TX Rancher
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TX Rancher »

If it was me, I would probably stick with the GL 32...

But if you're comfortable with the capacity and stopping power of the Taurus, go for it! As for the loading, have you seen any test results showing those rounds will expand when fired out of that weapon? There's always the risk with short barreled weapons the velocity will be too low to effectively expand rounds. You mentioned you had full faith in the Golden Saber, is that based on specific tests with an equivalent weapon? Just curious, I may learn something new here :cheers2:

GlockFan

Post by GlockFan »

I picked up a kel tec pf9 a few months ago. I'm liking this little gun more and more.
I know some folks have had problems with them, but this one has been flawless with
about 400 rnds through it. great little pocket gun. ;-)
Jak Se Mas?

Topic author
9mmLover

Post by 9mmLover »

TX Rancher wrote:If it was me, I would probably stick with the GL 32...

But if you're comfortable with the capacity and stopping power of the Taurus, go for it! As for the loading, have you seen any test results showing those rounds will expand when fired out of that weapon? There's always the risk with short barreled weapons the velocity will be too low to effectively expand rounds. You mentioned you had full faith in the Golden Saber, is that based on specific tests with an equivalent weapon? Just curious, I may learn something new here :cheers2:
yea i read into the ballistics of both the hornday critical defense and the golden sabers. i think ill switch to the speer gold dots designed specifically for snubbies.

rqFLSTFB

Post by rqFLSTFB »

i just got a p238 and i fraking love the way it shoots... i shot the ruger LCP and IMO, the sig is just incredible.
it's small and feels great.
i know its a .380 but better something than nothing at all...

TX Rancher
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TX Rancher »

9mmLover wrote: yea i read into the ballistics of both the hornday critical defense and the golden sabers. i think ill switch to the speer gold dots designed specifically for snubbies.
The Speer Gold Dots is what I feed my short barreled Kimber...

It may be worth your time to do a little experimenting with those rounds. Get a couple of milk jugs filled with water and see how the rounds perform from self defense distances.

I know water is not the same as the human body or ballistic gelatin, but it will still give you a general idea of whether the bullets will expand or not. Bullets are designed to "open" above a certain velocity, traveling below that velocity they become very unreliable. So something else you could check is to chrono the rounds, again at self dense distances. Then contact the manufacturer and see what the design limits are. Again, the results won't he 100% reliable, but you can say that if your below the min, then they probably won't expand.

Good luck!

fm2

Post by fm2 »

It would be a good idea to test if the point of aim = point of impact.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

couzin

Post by couzin »

Suggest you experiment with the rounds you will be carrying and try various combinations of main and trigger return springs - esp before lightening the hammer by bobbing it. Might produce some light hammer strikes - esp with hard primers like CCI. You can slick up the Taurus hammer and triggers by polishing the contact and sear surfaces very slightly. Those MIM surfaces won't tolerate much and be careful with edge of the sear. Get it running good with whatever combination of springs you choose with a type of ammuntion it works well with - then try bobbing. You may have to then increase the main hammer spring again.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Topic author
9mmLover

Post by 9mmLover »

i carry a Para LTC 9mm- its a lightweight commander frame- OWB over the weekend, but im about to put it in the safe as i just acquired a Kel-tec PF9. it makes a world of a difference, and the IWB i used for the 1911 fits it just right. its a hybrid, so the kydex forms over it just fine with great retention. carry 2 spare mags in my front pocket.

the kel-tec kicks like a mule, but i have shot it enough to know ill hit at 15 yards. ordered a hogue handall jr for it to take some of the oomph out of it, and also ordered Kahr pinky extentions- they work fine with the keltec mags, and gives me just enough extra room to accommodate my pinky- i have a PM9 so i tried the extension before ordering it so i know it fits.

also ordered a trigger shoe. the trigger face on the keltec is like 1/5 an inch. too too skinny. the shoe will be ground down to where it just clears the trigger guard to avoid an accidental discharge.

Rikk101

Post by Rikk101 »

I, too just bought a Kel Tec PF9. I have a Beretta PX4 subcompact, which is a great pistol, but I find it a little bulky for EDC. I took the Kel Tec to the range and put 50 rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind. I was able to keep most rounds within about a 4" - 5" circle at 7 yards, which I was happy with as I am not that good with a pistol anyway. I think I can do a little better with some trigger practice with snap caps. The Trigger pull is a little long (like a revolver) but not very hard. I also ordered a Tagua holster - the one that is called an in waist, ambidextrous. I wear it as an on waist and it conceals well with an untucked shirt. Next will be to put a few more rounds through it and then test with hollow points. For now, the little Kel Tec has become my new best friend.

flechero

Love my Taurus 651

Post by flechero »

My hot weather carry is the Titanium version of the 651 (shrouded, zero profile hammer). I love it. It's been a great little carry piece. Yes, the triggers are nothing great when new, but mine has smoothed out nicely over time. I wouldn't sell it for 4 times what I paid for it.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

9mmLover wrote:ill be alternating the rounds in the cylinder. the first will be a hornday critical defense 110gr, then a 125gr golden saber+p

the red polymer insert in the hornday will help incase the perp has heavy clothing on, and i have full faith in the golden saber.

what do yall think? good setup?
With all due respect, I think that is a foolish setup. Mixing ammo is never a good idea, unless it is completely unavoidable. When I carry my snubbie—a scandium framed S&W .357—I carry the Hornady 125 Grain Critical Defense .357 load in all chambers. First of all, believe me....you can have full faith in the Hornady cartridge, heavy clothing or not. Secondly, who wears heavy clothing in Texas in the middle August? Lastly, the change in which you perceive recoil between different cartridges, not to mention that they likely don't shoot to the same point of aim, makes alternately loading different cartridges a pretty bad idea. Go with all of one, or all of the other, but don't fool around with "magic combinations." If your gun is +P rated, and heavy clothing is a concern, then spend the $20 for a box of .38 +P Hornady ammo and be done with it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
9mmLover

Post by 9mmLover »

yea i thought about that. doesnt really make sense carrying the setup was. i swapped out to all Speer GDs for snub nosed revolvers for when i carry my taurus 85 ultralite or Smith and Wesson 438 lightweight.

the 85 has a bobbed hammer, and a reduced spring kit for both the hammer and trigger return spring. i have also polished the action and it is smooth as butter. i have yet to get any light primer strikes with any ammo ive tried, whether it be a mix of SD ammo, or range ammo. it helps avoid snags when i carry it in my cargo shorts.

i also recently acquired a kel-tec PF-9. it will more than likely replace my snubbies as it is the lightest gun i have ever owned, and it basically disappears in my pocket if im wearing cargo shorts, and when im in formal wear, it fits perfectly in a hybrid holster designed for my winter carry- a Para LTC 9mm which i bobtailed. the kydex 'forms' around the gun quite well, and retention isnt an issue. i carry 124gr +p speer gold dots in it as well, along with 2 spare mags. the mags are so thin and lightweight that they go in my back pocket along with my wallet.

Topic author
9mmLover

Post by 9mmLover »

Rikk101 wrote:I, too just bought a Kel Tec PF9. I have a Beretta PX4 subcompact, which is a great pistol, but I find it a little bulky for EDC. I took the Kel Tec to the range and put 50 rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind. I was able to keep most rounds within about a 4" - 5" circle at 7 yards, which I was happy with as I am not that good with a pistol anyway. I think I can do a little better with some trigger practice with snap caps. The Trigger pull is a little long (like a revolver) but not very hard. I also ordered a Tagua holster - the one that is called an in waist, ambidextrous. I wear it as an on waist and it conceals well with an untucked shirt. Next will be to put a few more rounds through it and then test with hollow points. For now, the little Kel Tec has become my new best friend.
i dont find the trigger on the kel-tec to be hard at all. its actually very light and smooth on mine all the way to when it breaks. it is a snappy little gun though, so i did order a hogue handall jr. for it.

if you like your pinky resting on the gun, and not hanging off the bottom, try the Kahr pinky extensions from the PM9. they fit the mag just fine, and give you a little more room than the factory kel-tec pinky extensions. the factory ones just end up in between my pinky and ring finger. with the Kahr extension, i get a full grip on the gun.

accuracy wise i can get all the shots within the X on a standard CHL target within 10 yards, and i can get all on target at 15. accurate enough for me. if i take my time however, i have gotten a 1 inch group at 7 and a 3 inch group at 15yards respectively.

one thing i would recommend getting is a trigger shoe. the ones kel tec sells is slightly wider than the trigger guard, so it has to be ground down to where it clears the trigger guard. makes a helluva difference if you have fat fingers. im 6ft 1in @ 240, and the trigger is way to skinny for my trigger finger. it gets cumbersome at the range after about 30 rounds. the trigger shoe made a world of difference, and its 10 bucks shipped.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”