FFL still running E-Check when i have a CHL holders

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Teamless
Posts in topic: 9

Re: FFL still running E-Check when i have a CHL holders

Post by Teamless »

9mmLover wrote:he will be contacting me this week with a 100% answer on the status of the firearm.
So they confiscated the gun(s)?
On what grounds if so?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

rm9792
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rm9792 »

Came up stolen.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

rm9792 wrote:Came up stolen.
he mentioned that, then said it was a false positive, with the serial # 1 letter off
League City, TX

Domineaux
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Domineaux »

And no mention of it being confiscated but that they noted in the bill of sale that if the ATF do determine it as stolen then he will turn it in to the ATF and the seller will owe him a refund.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."
Houston Gunners: http://houstongunforum.com
Suggestions by Domineaux

Topic author
9mmLover
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 9mmLover »

hmm...

the special agent from the atf said he would be contacting me regarding the actual status of the firearm in question as it was determined-in the field atleast- to be a kosher handgun.

when he calls ill ask him if what i was looking at was a list of all the 4473s i have filled out. and ill drill him for an answer.

another thing im irritated about is one of the other agents kept putting words in my mouth. like he would go how many times have you traded like this- and i said quite a few, so he goes you must have quite a few guns huh- i only have 5- and im like no i sell alot too- and if the person doesnt have a CHL i do a bill of sale if i feel the need to, but if they look ok, i dont because it is not required by state law. then he goes im with the ATF son, state law doesnt apply...so if i come knocking on your door, ill only find 5 guns right?, i go no you will find 6, because im trading 1 for 2, and you better have a warrant to come through, and that just because my name is mohammad, it doesnt give you probable cause. thats when i could see him fuming on the inside.

sad part is he had a hispanic accent which was very deep, and im sure he is a legally naturalized citizen just like me. 10 bucks says im on their radar like a mofo now, but i have nothing to hide.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

9mmLover wrote:so if i come knocking on your door, ill only find 5 guns right?
I would answer him, if you come knocking without a warrant you won't find any guns, with a warrant, you will find however many I have that day.
League City, TX

Topic author
9mmLover

Post by 9mmLover »

Teamless wrote:
9mmLover wrote:so if i come knocking on your door, ill only find 5 guns right?
I would answer him, if you come knocking without a warrant you won't find any guns, with a warrant, you will find however many I have that day.
exactly. i mean its not like im a dealer or anything. and i barely buy and sell. ive done maybe 20 trades/private sales of both long guns and handguns in the last 6 years that i have had a CHL.

as for the area, for those of you who are familiar with houston, it was right off bissonet and US 59, by the whataburger. there was an empty chase parking lot right next to it, but there was enough foot traffic in the area- just as rush hour started, for me to consider it safe. otherwise i try and meet outside an academy everytime.

the cops just happened to be rolling down the parking lot at that exact moment. none of the guns were visible. mine was under my shirt at 9 oclock, and the other two were in the driver seat with me outside bent in to inspect them. likewise for the other party i was trading with. he just came up outta no where with a tap on my shoulder. my rear windows are tinted as dark as the law permits which is why he probably didnt see the guns on the front seat.

i immediately did what the CHL instructor told me to do. identified myself as a CHL holder with a gun at my 9 oclock- hands away from it as far as possible. i cant blame the cops, but the ATF agent really irritated me off. the cops even thanked me for my cooperation when i was in the back of the car, and really admired the work i did on my para LTC 9mm. he was carrying a kimber, and we talked about how to do the bobtail on it the entire time he was running our information.

pics of said Para LTC:

bobtailed it myself, along with duracoating the frame.

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

All these replies, nobody pointed out the whole detention was wrong? I support the 4A just as much as the 2A and 1A. No evidence of anything illegal but both are detained and questioned and ATF is involved (looks like ATF has an illegal database too).

The police in this case need to :rules:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Bullwhip wrote:All these replies, nobody pointed out the whole detention was wrong? I support the 4A just as much as the 2A and 1A. No evidence of anything illegal but both are detained and questioned and ATF is involved (looks like ATF has an illegal database too).

The police in this case need to :rules:
We know that the local LEO can disarm CHLer at will. However, cuffing and detaining in the back of the cruiser is as you pointed out is a grey area and something new. I would like to have active LEO comment, if the temp detention is justified and legal. BTW, if the gun that was supposed to sold was a handgun and was seen by LEO, the OP could have been charged with failure to conceal. However, I assume it was not the case. I assume both handguns were in their hard cases, or concealed in a case.

What was the response of the officer when he discovered the 2 other handguns on the driver seat?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Bullwhip wrote:nobody pointed out the whole detention was wrong?
Not sure how it was wrong.
if the officer thought the law was being broken, he can detain you until he figures out what is going on.

In the end, was it wrong, yes, but in the beginning, when he sees 2 people making a gun deal, well, until you have the facts, do you assume it is all legal? not sure
League City, TX

Topic author
9mmLover

Post by 9mmLover »

I wasnt cuffed. Just seperated from the other party and placed in the back of a squad car.

The officer mentioned it was a high drug area, but I doubt it is in the middle of rush hour.

Ive done countless trades like this before. All 3 guns involved in the trade were concealed in the vehicles front seats. Out of sight would be a better term. And I had no objections to being disarmed as with allthe guns on the scene, 4 totalling my carry, it would be appropriate for the LEO to do so in my eyes. And they were very professional.

Im sure any LEO would have done the same. Guess the ATF agents were called cuz of the Mohammed factor. Oh well its done and over with. Calling the special agent today to see what hes found out. Hope its kosher because I really like the pf-9. Its a much lighter summer carry, and with this being the 14th straight day of tripple digit heat, its a nich change from lugging around the 1911.

Barbi Q
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Barbi Q »

9mmLover wrote:sad part is he had a hispanic accent which was very deep, and im sure he is a legally naturalized citizen just like me. 10 bucks says im on their radar like a mofo now, but i have nothing to hide.
He probably runs guns to the narco terrorist Mexican cartels.

How do you like stereotypes now Mr. Junior G-man?
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by steveincowtown »

Barbi Q wrote:
9mmLover wrote:sad part is he had a hispanic accent which was very deep, and im sure he is a legally naturalized citizen just like me. 10 bucks says im on their radar like a mofo now, but i have nothing to hide.
He probably runs guns to the narco terrorist Mexican cartels.

How do you like stereotypes now Mr. Junior G-man?

??

I read the post as he was saying that is was sad that another possibly legally naturalized citizen could not show a little empathy to someone of the same background.

...but maybe I am wrong.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Barbi Q
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Barbi Q »

Maybe I should have quoted this part too.
9mmLover wrote:just because my name is mohammad, it doesnt give you probable cause. thats when i could see him fuming on the inside.
If you look at the percentage of federal agents involved in the operations that gave guns to the mexican drug gangs, and the percentage of Muslims involved in terrorism, the federal agents seem a lot less trustworthy if you're playing the odds.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

Teamless wrote:
Bullwhip wrote:nobody pointed out the whole detention was wrong?
Not sure how it was wrong.
if the officer thought the law was being broken, he can detain you until he figures out what is going on.

In the end, was it wrong, yes, but in the beginning, when he sees 2 people making a gun deal, well, until you have the facts, do you assume it is all legal? not sure
Yes you do because theres' nothing illegal about selling a rifle. No different from pulling over a driver until you can make sure he has a license.

If the officer can't say exactly what he thinks is illegal and what law is being broken and why ("Terry stop" rules), he can't stop anybody.

9mmLover wrote:I wasnt cuffed. Just seperated from the other party and placed in the back of a squad car.
Don't matter if you were in cuffs. Could you leave? Just say to the other guy, "You know what, I'll call you some other time we can get together then" and walk away? Back of a squad car or in cuffs at the police station in a interview room, its all the same.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”