Slightly discouraged and in need of advice

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 8

Slightly discouraged and in need of advice

Post by mamabearCali »

Ok so in our house we have a Glock 36. A nice shiny Glock 36. We would love more weapons, but right now that is all we have. Both my husband and I have our CHL. We have been working it like this. If we go out as a family he carries the glock I carry the pocket knife and the pepper spray. When just I go out or when I am at home the Glock stays with me (can't run as fast as he can with 3 kids being pregnant). However of late I have had tons of trouble getting the glock to conceal on body (strange pregnant curves that change all the time), and it is too hot for a serious cover garment. I keep trying different things--I can't carry in a purse because that would not be safe with preschoolers around.

What is even worse is that all the various methods I have tried--belly band, IWB with the largest pair of jeans I have, a fanny pack holster (looked terrible anyway) are now causing back pain--not oww I am sore kind of pain-- but time to take to your bed sort of back pain (old back injury that gets real angry when I am out of balance). So this is what I am faced with right now. I prefer carrying a .45, I prefer shooting a .45, but the weight of the .45 is going to make me leave it at home. We won't be able to buy another handgun for at least a month or so, even a little inexpensive one (budget constraints and two $1,000 house and care repairs in the past two months have bled us dry.) So for the next month I am back to my back up of a pepper spray and a pocket knife (better than nothing). :grumble

Looking to the future, I looked at a gun store and felt several different weapons in a few calibers--mostly looking at the weight and size of the weapon. I think I am stuck with a .380--I won't go below that and it seemed that I could definitely find a place to carry those things no matter how round I got and they don't look heavy. Do yall have any recommendations on weapons, encouragement, or advise on my situation.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Slightly discouraged and in need of advice

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Yes, take a look at the Kahr pocket pistols. I have the PM9, which might be outside of your budget, but they also make the CM9 which is a budget conscious version of the PM9. The CM9 is NOT a cheap knock-off. This is a fairly high quality gun (at least as good as the Glocks in quality); Kahr just simplified a few of the machining steps in making the slide to knock some of the price off.

The CM9 is a truly pocketable 9mm pistol, rated to shoot +P ammunition, and the Kahrs have a very nice, butter smooth but slightly long trigger pull.

Here is a link to the Kahr page for the CM9: http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp.

Here is a picture of the gun:

Here are the specs:

Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 6+1
Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
Barrel: 3.0", conventional rifling; 1 - 10 right-hand twist
Length O/A: 5.42"
Height: 4.0"
Slide Width: .90"
Weight: Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
Grips: Textured polymer
Sights: Drift adjustable, white bar-dot combat sights
Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide 
Magazine: 1 - 6 rd flush floorplate

I can guarantee you that these pistols just disappear into a front pocket. Please note the width and the weight, highlighted in red.

As far as shooting it goes, if you are comfortable shooting the G36, you will have no problem shooting this diminutive 9mm. One of my carry guns is an alloy framed 3" 1911 Kimber in .45 ACP, and I would compare the perceived recoil of shooting the PM9 (which remember, is identical in size and weight to the CM9) to being just like the perceived recoil of shooting a 3" alloy 1911.

The full-pop MRSP for the CM9 is $565.00, but I'd be willing to bet that you can find them for around $450, new in the box. Magazine capacity is the same as for your G36, AND you can buy 7 and 8 round backup magazines right off the Kahr website, unlike Glock, which does not offer an extended capacity magazine for the G36.

I hope this helps. If you were anywhere near Grapevine, I'd let you try shooting my PM9 and my wife's CW9 (same as the CM9, but 7+1 instead of 6+1, and a half inch longer slide and barrel).

If you are comfortable shooting a .45 and other higher powered handgun calibers, then I would steer you away from a .380 if there were any viable alternatives. The CM9 is exactly such an alternative.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

couzin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by couzin »

If you are looking for cheap, reliable, concealable, and still a hard hitting round - look to a revolver like a SW 637, esp a used one. It won't empty out your account and it is much easier to conceal. Gotta be creative when faced with a need to protect/defend and budget constraints - you'll find a way.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

couzin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by couzin »

If you are really thinking you want a .380 - then a KelTec P380. New ones can be had for around $200. Sometimes you have to do a little fluff and buff and play with different ammo - but I have had two of them and had zero issues after just polishing the feed ramp and using the smaller ogive ammo. The larger hollow points seemed to hang up more.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Ruger LC9, small and inexpensive.

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

Sig P238. Because it's close to a 1911 as it gets. Plus it's cute. :D
We don't need no stinking badges!

punkndisorderly

Post by punkndisorderly »

I think you may be better served by trying different carry methods, rather than going to a different gun. If you shoot well with what you have, and your comfortable with it, then I'd stick with it until you've explored as many carry methods as reasonably possible. If you can find one that works for you, then when the budget allows for a second gun, you can buy another of the same one so each of you are carrying the same thing (assuming it works for your husband as well). That means only one kind of ammo to buy, only one kind of magazine to buy, and only one gun to learn all the in's and outs of.

If you haven't been to her site, check out corneredcat.com. It's a site run by Kathy Jackson (and aslo the name of her book). I've listened to several of her podcasts and she focuses on concealed carry and shooting from a women's perspective. If you don't find an answer on her site, you could see if you can find an email for her. I'll bet she would be happy to give some suggestions. She seems like a great person from everything I've read/heard from her.
Texas CHL Instructor

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

I would recommend going to a range such as Winchester Shooting Gallery or another that has a Good selection of pistols. They have tons of pistols that you can rent- I think it is $5.00 to rent and if you bring your own ammo you save even more...they have subcompact and up. Get a good feel first and see what fits you.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

v-rog wrote:I would recommend going to a range such as Winchester Shooting Gallery or another that has a Good selection of pistols. They have tons of pistols that you can rent- I think it is $5.00 to rent and if you bring your own ammo you save even more...they have subcompact and up. Get a good feel first and see what fits you.
Winchester charges$9.50 to rent a pistol, and $5 to rent a.22, and you MUST buy the ammo from them. I was an annual member there until March of this year.

http://www.winchestergallery.com/index. ... Itemid=127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Thanks yall for all the suggestions.

I do love cornered cat--not much there on being pregnant and shooting though.

I would love to keep carrying the Glock 36, but considering the pain I was in yesterday and my inability to take the meds needed to calm my back down if it does go into spasms it is probably not wise (20 weeks pregnant). I will see if my husband will go shoot some for me to check things out (but again I can't train with it until next year--no shooting after 12-13 weeks). All I can train with right now is air soft weapons and sling shots :lol: .

So it is a difficult situation--can't carry the one I have trained with, can't train with a different weapon, but really don't want to be without a weapon because I am increasingly pregnant an increasingly unable to defend myself. What to do...what to do.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

BigPa

Post by BigPa »

Take a look at the Ruger LC9. It is small, not expensive, and shoots like a dream. I carry one every day...
http://www.rockinbsleatherworks.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ropin

Post by Ropin »

I'm not an expert on pregnant curves...but have you considered one of those Smart Carry holsters? I think it might open up more options for you. :tiphat:
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21

B3XD

Post by B3XD »

Since it is for the next 20 weeks, I suggest you look at something in a neck carry holster in either vertical or horizontal. http://www.stellarrigs.com/gun_neckchain_rigs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They make them for the LCP and P3AT's and the .32's

It gives you on-body coverage and although anemic is enough for close quarter protection. After delivery it would make a nice BUG. You might even be able to get the 32 used.

IF not you might look at a braholster. I actually knew someone who made a kydex one suspended from her bra.

Topic author
mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

B3XD wrote:Since it is for the next 20 weeks, I suggest you look at something in a neck carry holster in either vertical or horizontal. http://www.stellarrigs.com/gun_neckchain_rigs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They make them for the LCP and P3AT's and the .32's

It gives you on-body coverage and although anemic is enough for close quarter protection. After delivery it would make a nice BUG. You might even be able to get the 32 used.

IF not you might look at a braholster. I actually knew someone who made a kydex one suspended from her bra.
Holy COW! I so want one of those!!! Would never ever (except when I can't carry legally) have to be without some sort of a weapon. Thank you so much for that link! On the bra-holster--well I am a Texas gal and as they say "they grow everything bigger in TX ;-) :lol: so I was thinking of getting a pocket holster and just putting the little weapon where it would fit.

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CC Italian »

I would go with an LC9 as an affordable gun that is in a lower price range and is still at least 9mm. As for the 36 it is a great gun but what it has in thinness it lacks in overall length and grip size. My dads friend had one and he could conceal his Glock 26 easier, so when I got a subcompact Glock I split the difference and got a 27. Four years later I have put thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup. I do like those 36s though, I think of them as a thin compact Glock, not sub compact.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”