Between 18 and 21, and handgun possesion

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Between 18 and 21, and handgun possesion

Post by wgoforth »

Doesn't mean cops will understand an 18 having a gun in the car. I personally know of a case where a young man (my sons roomate) had his handgun confiscated and not returned by the police when they asked if he had any guns in the car. He was charged with unlawful possesion of a firearm. I have seen other forums some post similarly as well. My son owns a handgun, but even he doesn't want it in his car for that reason.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

speedsix
Posts in topic: 10

Post by speedsix »

...there are some out there who are ignorant on purpose...and some who really don't know the law...they need to be educated...and we need to quit rolling over when they make an illegal confiscation or charge us wrongfully...if we just take it, sure they'll keep doing it...we have just as much right and authority to DEMAND that THEY obey the law as they do us...a lot of Americans have forgotten that...

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

speedsix wrote:...there are some out there who are ignorant on purpose...and some who really don't know the law...they need to be educated...and we need to quit rolling over when they make an illegal confiscation or charge us wrongfully...if we just take it, sure they'll keep doing it...we have just as much right and authority to DEMAND that THEY obey the law as they do us...a lot of Americans have forgotten that...
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

rgunn
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rgunn »

tacticool wrote:
Rifleman55 wrote:The only ammo that I could think of that would be a problem for an 18 year old could be .25 acp, 32 acp and .380 acp, and something like 9mm makerov. As long as there is a rifle chambered in the particular cartridge a person 18 or older should be able to buy it. That person may have trouble with clerks in places like wal-mart not wanting to sell to them.
I hope you're not encouraging someone to lie to trick a FFL into violating federal law.
Are you saying the clerk at Wal Mart is a FFL? I have never purchased ammo from any FFL I do business with. If the caliber could be used for a rifle, thats what I buy it for.

3dfxMM
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 3dfxMM »

JJVP wrote:
speedsix wrote:
JJVP wrote:
speedsix wrote:...MPA doesn't have a word about age...my son finally turned 18, but has carried his .38 in the car since the bill took effect...as soon as he got his regular DL...
You realized that he broke federal law if he was carrying under MPA before he became 18. Federal law prohibits anyone younger that 18 to possess a handgun. He was lucky he was not caught.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blnoguns.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...your statement is in error, as your link will tell you if you see the fine print at the bottom of the linked page...he broke no Federal law at all, because I made sure he fell within those exemptions...research the actual printed Federal law that pertains, not some Public Information catchall page, and you'll have the law...that's what I realized...
Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 Section 922 (x) (3)

(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;

I believe that this is what applies in your case. So you are correct, as long as he did not drive within 1000' of a school GFSZ). The only exemption there is a CHL from the state where the school is located. :tiphat:
The only place in that chapter that defines juvenile defines it as a person who is less than 18 years old.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...yep...and???

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

speedsix wrote:...there are some out there who are ignorant on purpose...and some who really don't know the law...they need to be educated...and we need to quit rolling over when they make an illegal confiscation or charge us wrongfully...if we just take it, sure they'll keep doing it...we have just as much right and authority to DEMAND that THEY obey the law as they do us...a lot of Americans have forgotten that...

And I don't disagree....but there is a difference between me doing it and being of age enough to handle myself without being intimidated, and an 18 yo young lady (or guy).
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...18's old enough to sign the dotted line and put their butt on the line for the country...it's old enough that they be given adult respect...or demand it!!! Mine would...and he'd get it...respect for Law Enforcement goes BOTH ways...

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

speedsix wrote:...18's old enough to sign the dotted line and put their butt on the line for the country...it's old enough that they be given adult respect...or demand it!!! Mine would...and he'd get it...respect for Law Enforcement goes BOTH ways...
I understand, and surely you know there are also at that age some very meek, easily intimidated, esp among young ladies. At 18, if someone is a couple of years maturity wise either direction makes a big difference. A 50 yo who thinks like a 48 yo isn't a big deal. But an 18 yo who thinks like a 16 yo could be. I work with young people and see it all the time. And cops would handle/treat them differently than a 50 year old. I suppose what that could mean too is that those like that may not yet be mature enough for a gun. I am thinking of my son, very mature, but quiet and always taught to be respectful to his elders and police. I am afraid he'd roll over for police...in fact he did. Cops pulled him over one night, saying he ran a stop sign (where there wasn't one). They asked if they could search his car, and he said yes. They even frisked him and he thought too "personal." I supose the key might be to know your child enough to reccomend they carry or not.
NRA Life Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

speedsix wrote:...18's old enough to sign the dotted line and put their butt on the line for the country...it's old enough that they be given adult respect...or demand it!!! Mine would...and he'd get it...respect for Law Enforcement goes BOTH ways...
Grew up in New Orleans and legally carried in the car my senior year of high school. Signed the dotted line 3 months after graduation. Never had a negative encounter with police in an area where police had a reputation (deserved or not) of making their own rules. Always treated them with respect and got the same in return even at the lake front at 2:30 in the morning.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

wgoforth wrote:
I understand, and surely you know there are also at that age some very meek, easily intimidated, esp among young ladies. At 18, if someone is a couple of years maturity wise either direction makes a big difference. A 50 yo who thinks like a 48 yo isn't a big deal. But an 18 yo who thinks like a 16 yo could be. I work with young people and see it all the time. And cops would handle/treat them differently than a 50 year old. I suppose what that could mean too is that those like that may not yet be mature enough for a gun. I am thinking of my son, very mature, but quiet and always taught to be respectful to his elders and police. I am afraid he'd roll over for police...in fact he did. Cops pulled him over one night, saying he ran a stop sign (where there wasn't one). They asked if they could search his car, and he said yes. They even frisked him and he thought too "personal." I supose the key might be to know your child enough to reccomend they carry or not.

...I taught mine to respect and support LEOs, but not to take any heavy-handed crap from them...a pro doesn't hand it out...a redneck needs to be retrained...I know some grownups who would roll over, and have...and some "kids" who know the law, know their rights, and won't be trod upon...my boys are not smart-alecs but won't put up with oppressive "authority"...and there are right ways to deal with that, too...I've seen enough bully cops and ignorant ones, I appreciate a pro much more...some of them I wouldn't even drink coffee with...no need to treat anyone badly, let alone a kid...and from a cop's point of view, no need to tolerate it from the customer, either, and it can be dealt with one way or another...I would recommend any person who was being jacked around by an LEO to ask for a supervisor at the scene...that's usually all that's necessary for things to calm waaaaaaaaaaaay down...there's a big, usually obvious, difference between enforcing the law and pushing people around...if we don't call them on it, who will???????

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

jmra wrote:
Grew up in New Orleans and legally carried in the car my senior year of high school. Signed the dotted line 3 months after graduation. Never had a negative encounter with police in an area where police had a reputation (deserved or not) of making their own rules. Always treated them with respect and got the same in return even at the lake front at 2:30 in the morning.

...NOLA has always been a ratpit...heard horror stories from cops about cops in the 70s, too...you must have a way about you...I carried from 14 on in La...and in the car, too...life was easier then...not so much now...

jmra

Post by jmra »

speedsix wrote:
jmra wrote:

...NOLA has always been a ratpit...heard horror stories from cops about cops in the 70s, too...you must have a way about you...I carried from 14 on in La...and in the car, too...life was easier then...not so much now...
Left the New Orleans area 6 years ago (just before Katrina) when we moved to Texas. Spent the last 6 years wondering what took me so long to get here.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...since 84, I've told people here I did 20 years in La. and got out on good behavior, and haven't had ONE ask me what I mean...

jmra

Post by jmra »

speedsix wrote:...since 84, I've told people here I did 20 years in La. and got out on good behavior, and haven't had ONE ask me what I mean...
I do miss the food though. Beignets at Cafe Du Monde, Roast Beef PoBoys at Mahoneys, Seafood platers at Middendorfs... I could gain five pounds just thinking about it.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”