My New Kimber (with apologies to USA1)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Backslider
Posts in topic: 20

Re: My New Kimber (with apologies to USA1)

Post by Backslider »

USA1 wrote:I was talking to a Gunsmith about the Kimbers failing to return to battery and he said this is almost always cured by replacing the recoil spring with a Wolff Improved XP Recoil Spring .45ACP. The Wolff spring is rated for the same poundage as the Kimber stock spring but a side by side comparison shows that the Wolff spring is longer which translates into more travel therefore completely returning the slide back to battery after a shot.

It costs $7.89+shipping.

Although I've had no problems with mine, I replaced the stock spring with the Wolff spring and I can tell the difference.
When you release the slide, it snaps shut with a bit more authority than it did before. I took it to the range and ran another 100 rounds through it and it just seems to operate more solidly now.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am probably going to order one today.
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

tetralaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tetralaw »

beautiful Kimber. I saw one of the new super carrys at Market Hall this past weekend. Not too shabby.

Topic author
Backslider

Post by Backslider »

I ordered the recoil spring and also remembered my desire for a 10lb USP hammer spring as well. Big shopping day. ;-)
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

Topic author
Backslider

Post by Backslider »

A bit too long since my last update, but I now have 800 rounds through the pistol with the last few hundred using a Wolff spring, and I'm still getting a 2-6% FTF rate.

I have my RMA in hand and the pistol goes back tomorrow. I have about a month left in my 1 year warranty and I want to be sure to have the problem reported before that runs out. Hopefully I'll be back with good news in a couple of months.

chuckybrown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chuckybrown »

I'm curious....the picture looks more like a Failure To Extract (FTE) vs. an FTF. And if I can respectfully share a thought.....that gun is dirty man! Give that baby a bath! Maybe that will help with some of the issues?

Keep us posted!
Chuckybrown

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

chuckybrown wrote:I'm curious....the picture looks more like a Failure To Extract (FTE) vs. an FTF. And if I can respectfully share a thought.....that gun is dirty man! Give that baby a bath! Maybe that will help with some of the issues?

Keep us posted!
A really dirty feed ramp and really dirty slide rails combined with insufficient lubrication can easily produce the type of feed failure shown in the photo.

You won't be able to diagnose the issue any further until you follow Chucky's advice above and do a detailed thorough clean and lube job on the gun.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
Backslider

Post by Backslider »

chuckybrown wrote:I'm curious....the picture looks more like a Failure To Extract (FTE) vs. an FTF. And if I can respectfully share a thought.....that gun is dirty man! Give that baby a bath! Maybe that will help with some of the issues?

Keep us posted!
Despite what it looks like, that is a round that has failed to chamber. I have had zero FTE problems, and I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference.

And also despite what it looks like, that was a thoroughly clean pistol when I started my range session, and I've cleaned it every 100 rounds. I have tried various levels of lubrication, and this was on the 'wet' side. This was only 25-30 rounds in. Maybe I should have posted this picture instead. ;-)

I meant to post this thread I found last night - I wish I'd had the benefit of it when I was shopping.

Kimber Super Carry Pro – Review

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Backslider wrote:

Keep us posted!
Despite what it looks like, that is a round that has failed to chamber. I have had zero FTE problems, and I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference.

And also despite what it looks like, that was a thoroughly clean pistol when I started my range session, and I've cleaned it every 100 rounds. I have tried various levels of lubrication, and this was on the 'wet' side. This was only 25-30 rounds in. Maybe I should have posted this picture instead. ;-)

I meant to post this thread I found last night - I wish I'd had the benefit of it when I was shopping.

Kimber Super Carry Pro – Review
Okay, we're narrowing things down.

When the gun is in the condition pictured, if you apply pressure to the back of the slide, does it go into battery easily and smoothly or is it jammed in some way?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
Backslider

Post by Backslider »

The slide can be closed, but I'd say it requires force rather than pressure. A pretty solid rap on the back of the slide will place it back into battery.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Backslider wrote:The slide can be closed, but I'd say it requires force rather than pressure. A pretty solid rap on the back of the slide will place it back into battery.
What type of ammo are you using - FMJ, hollowpoints, etc.?

Factory or reload?
Excaliber

chuckybrown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chuckybrown »

I'm with Excaliber....have you tried a different ammo? Also, if you have a dremel tool and some rouge, you can easily polish the feed ramp yourself and see if that fixes the problem before having to ship it back.....
Chuckybrown

Topic author
Backslider

Post by Backslider »

Excaliber wrote:
Backslider wrote:The slide can be closed, but I'd say it requires force rather than pressure. A pretty solid rap on the back of the slide will place it back into battery.

Factory or reload?
It's all been WWB FMJ, with the exception of one box of PDX1 that fed fine. I bought a box of Federal with the intention of mixing it up, but never got it into the rotation.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

This isn't the first time I've heard of feeding trouble with WWB.
Place a round of WWB and Federal next to each other and look closely at the subtle difference. I'm betting you'd have better performance with Federal.

FWIW, I only shoot Federal or Speer Gold Dot in my Kimber and never have feeding problems. I also did light fluff and buff on the feed ramp and around the edges of the chamber as well as the inside of the chamber.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Backslider wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

Factory or reload?
It's all been WWB FMJ, with the exception of one box of PDX1 that fed fine. I bought a box of Federal with the intention of mixing it up, but never got it into the rotation.
In view of the large number of serious problem reports lately with WWB, I'd suggest trying another good brand (e.g. Remington) to see if the problem persists.

If not, all you may need to do is change ammo brands.
Excaliber

Topic author
Backslider

Post by Backslider »

Excaliber wrote:In view of the large number of serious problem reports lately with WWB, I'd suggest trying another good brand (e.g. Remington) to see if the problem persists.

If not, all you may need to do is change ammo brands.
I guess I'm a bit out of the loop. I haven't seen the reports of issues, but I'll go searching.

If an ammo change resolves the problem I will be happier, but given the initial cost of the pistol and the added expense of breaking it in, I'm choosing to stay frustrated for the moment. I thought I knew what I was getting into having read about the problems some other people have experienced, but it's quite different to fight it myself.

As things stand, the pistol is in NY and 'out for delivery'. I'll report back once the service is done and hope to be a satisfied customer sooner rather than later.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”