Moderator: carlson1

A-R
Posts in topic: 8

Re: SR1911 initial short report

Post by A-R »

gemini wrote:
rentz wrote:
gemini wrote:
Grog wrote:I'll stop by GT in Dallas and see what they say, sounds fishy. Ruger is not really known for having much dedicated to LEOs anyway.

Of course you could get a P/T security gig and qualify :coolgleamA:
Actually, I was in the Dallas store yesterday afternoon. They are reserving the first shipped for LEO. However,
they are also taking "commercial" orders for the regular customer. Expected wait time? 6-8 weeks. And yes, I
ordered one. You can never have too many 1911's.

*BTW, first time I'd been in GT Dist. Saleman knew his stuff. Refreshing change from idiocy of BPS,
Academy and Cabelas sales crew. I'll be back.

interesting, maybe i'll go order one.
I might have misunderstood who i spoke with, when he said the deal with ruger will be for leo only but they would eventually have a non leo selection.
I don't think you misunderstood. Originally, they were taking LEO only orders. They got a memo/email Tuesday morning opening the order
process for commercial sales. I placed my order with "Karl", a tall, bald headed saleman. Nice guy. He even called Ruger CS to find out possible
shipping dates etc.

I was at the Austin GTs today and the clerk there told me specifically that Ruger guns are now LEO only. Something about an earlier "grey area" in their contract with Ruger that has now been "clarified" to clearly state LEO sales only. Even have signs in the display case next to the Ruger guns saying "LEO ONLY" now - same as with the Springfield and Sig displays. In fact, he told me at this point they can't even sell Rugers to military - truly LEO/security only (though they're hoping to get that changed to allow sales to military soon).

Bummer ... I've been looking at a few Ruger products lately.

gemini
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gemini »

austinrealtor wrote:
gemini wrote:
rentz wrote:
gemini wrote:
Grog wrote:I'll stop by GT in Dallas and see what they say, sounds fishy. Ruger is not really known for having much dedicated to LEOs anyway.

Of course you could get a P/T security gig and qualify :coolgleamA:
Actually, I was in the Dallas store yesterday afternoon. They are reserving the first shipped for LEO. However,
they are also taking "commercial" orders for the regular customer. Expected wait time? 6-8 weeks. And yes, I
ordered one. You can never have too many 1911's.

*BTW, first time I'd been in GT Dist. Saleman knew his stuff. Refreshing change from idiocy of BPS,
Academy and Cabelas sales crew. I'll be back.

interesting, maybe i'll go order one.
I might have misunderstood who i spoke with, when he said the deal with ruger will be for leo only but they would eventually have a non leo selection.
I don't think you misunderstood. Originally, they were taking LEO only orders. They got a memo/email Tuesday morning opening the order
process for commercial sales. I placed my order with "Karl", a tall, bald headed saleman. Nice guy. He even called Ruger CS to find out possible
shipping dates etc.

I was at the Austin GTs today and the clerk there told me specifically that Ruger guns are now LEO only. Something about an earlier "grey area" in their contract with Ruger that has now been "clarified" to clearly state LEO sales only. Even have signs in the display case next to the Ruger guns saying "LEO ONLY" now - same as with the Springfield and Sig displays. In fact, he told me at this point they can't even sell Rugers to military - truly LEO/security only (though they're hoping to get that changed to allow sales to military soon).

Bummer ... I've been looking at a few Ruger products lately.
Interesting. Only thing I can say is.... I'm looking at a Sales Order, Order Number, Date etc. for a Ruger SR1911 SS .45 5" Barrel, Item Number/Bin etc. in the amount of $569.95 +47.03 tx = $616.98 Total, and, it has my name and customer ID on it. Seems like everyones getting different answers to the same questions. Depends on where you ask. Maybe the commercial/retail delivery is specific to certain locations? Bottom left corner says: call Gemini @ --------- when in; Thanks for your business Karl. I'm liking Karl ........

A-R
Posts in topic: 8

Post by A-R »

gemini wrote:Interesting. Only thing I can say is.... I'm looking at a Sales Order, Order Number, Date etc. for a Ruger SR1911 SS .45 5" Barrel, Item Number/Bin etc. in the amount of $569.95 +47.03 tx = $616.98 Total, and, it has my name and customer ID on it. Seems like everyones getting different answers to the same questions. Depends on where you ask. Maybe the commercial/retail delivery is specific to certain locations? Bottom left corner says: call Gemini @ --------- when in; Thanks for your business Karl. I'm liking Karl ........
Yeah, Karl is a good guy. He used to be at Austin store and I think headed up the Dallas store as I understand. He's got a quirky sense of humor - but is a good gun guy.

As for your order, the guy at Austin store told me all previous orders would be honored, so I'm wondering if you literally got your order placed just in time?

rentz

Post by rentz »

austinrealtor wrote:
gemini wrote:Interesting. Only thing I can say is.... I'm looking at a Sales Order, Order Number, Date etc. for a Ruger SR1911 SS .45 5" Barrel, Item Number/Bin etc. in the amount of $569.95 +47.03 tx = $616.98 Total, and, it has my name and customer ID on it. Seems like everyones getting different answers to the same questions. Depends on where you ask. Maybe the commercial/retail delivery is specific to certain locations? Bottom left corner says: call Gemini @ --------- when in; Thanks for your business Karl. I'm liking Karl ........
Yeah, Karl is a good guy. He used to be at Austin store and I think headed up the Dallas store as I understand. He's got a quirky sense of humor - but is a good gun guy.

As for your order, the guy at Austin store told me all previous orders would be honored, so I'm wondering if you literally got your order placed just in time?

I may need to head to the Dallas store and try to place an order today, if they decline so be it.

Slowplay
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Slowplay »

I talked to the Dallas GT store this morning and was told there had been some confusion about Ruger sales. They had been taking orders for Rugers, but the Austin GT folks informed them that only LEO Ruger sales were permitted.

I was specifically told that any orders for the SR1911 will be canceled if the purchaser is a civilian (per Austin store directive).

I placed an order for the SR1911 with the Austin GT Distributors the same week Ruger announced (can't remember if it was the 20th or 23rd of April - I'll have to see when I get home). Anyway, when I called to check the status a week or so ago, they promptly canceled my order. I was also told they would be canceling any civilian orders as they received the pistols and worked down their open orders.
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott in Houston »

I could have bought one today for $699. If I hadn't read this thread already, I may have come home with it! Even for $699, it seemed like a good deal.
It's a very pretty gun with good fit & finish. The trigger felt great too.

Time will tell if it's *really* a good gun though. We'll see how they hold up and how many gremlins are found. I'm willing to be a test subject though if I can find one at MSRP.

gemini

Post by gemini »

Slowplay wrote:I talked to the Dallas GT store this morning and was told there had been some confusion about Ruger sales. They had been taking orders for Rugers, but the Austin GT folks informed them that only LEO Ruger sales were permitted.

I was specifically told that any orders for the SR1911 will be canceled if the purchaser is a civilian (per Austin store directive).

I placed an order for the SR1911 with the Austin GT Distributors the same week Ruger announced (can't remember if it was the 20th or 23rd of April - I'll have to see when I get home). Anyway, when I called to check the status a week or so ago, they promptly canceled my order. I was also told they would be canceling any civilian orders as they received the pistols and worked down their open orders.
That's too bad. On several fronts.
1. Austin should mind their own business; quit telling Dallas what to do..... we were doing just fine without them.... :cool:
2. I'm trying to think if I know any LEO's that would buy a Ruger 1911, and immediately start carrying it as a duty weapon. No. :nono:
3. Do I know some LEO's that will purchase one just because they are into guns? (like most of my friends). Yes. :thumbs2:
4. I'll find a SR1911 somewhere other than GT Dist and buy it. :fire

In the mean time, I'll wait out the next 6-8 weeks with a positive attitude that GT will deliver, as promised. A lot can happen in 2 months time.
Currently, I'm trying NOT to shoot the messenger..................... :anamatedbanana

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”