extra mag

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
n1nthw9rd
Posts in topic: 3

extra mag

Post by n1nthw9rd »

iv seen and/or talked to alot of CHL owners that carry an extra mag with them along with their concealed handgun.

is an extra mag really necessary or are you guys just in a dangerous line of work and want to be prepared for a firefight if one should arise?

i mean unless you're just a paranoid schizophrenic that believes everyone is after you, if you got a full mag + 1in chamber,how much more firepower do you need?

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: extra mag

Post by pbwalker »

n1nthw9rd wrote:iv seen and/or talked to alot of CHL owners that carry an extra mag with them along with their concealed handgun.

is an extra mag really necessary or are you guys just in a dangerous line of work and want to be prepared for a firefight if one should arise?

i mean unless you're just a paranoid schizophrenic that believes everyone is after you, if you got a full mag + 1in chamber,how much more firepower do you need?
How much is too much?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
n1nthw9rd

Post by n1nthw9rd »

oh, i just meant what kind of situation do you think you'll ever be in where you'll need to reload...

and those of you on here that do carry an extra mag, have you ever had to use it?

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

While possibly not "necessary" I like to err on the side of good scout and be prepared. In the defensive pistol class I try to attend monthly one thing we practice is "tactical reloads". Guns are "machines" and while they typically run just fine you don't want to be caught with an issue at a bad time. Often if there is a "feed problem" you have to drop the mag. I would much rather be able to drop it entirely and clear, grab the next one than try to clear a jam while holding my 1/2 empty mag in my hand.

I admit I am not always good at carrying my 2nd, and used to think if I "need more than 6 I shouldn't be there" .... well if I need ANY I will wish I weren't there, but would rather be ready!

JMPHO
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Well, if we're going to be diagnosing people with mental illnesses, I'd sure love to see your degree. Which med school did you go to?

All kidding aside, there are a variety of reasons for carrying an extra magazine. The most likely part of a gun to fail is the magazine, so if it stops working when you REALLY need it, drop it out and put in a new one. I won't do your homework for you, but there are a ton of videos on liveleak and such about mobs or groups attacking people. Why assume any scenario you might have to defend yourself is you against 1 attacker?

For me personally, sometimes I feel safe with just a 5 shot .357 in my pocket. Sometimes, if I'm going to an area I'm not familiar with or is known to have higher crime rates, I like having a little extra on me. And there are some places i don't think I'd go without being loaded out for war. (like detroit).

But seriously...calling everyone a paranoid schizophrenic is one of the leading signs of being a paranoid schizophrenic....might want to get that looked at. ;-)
TANSTAAFL

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

There was a thread that touched on it recently, cant remember which one, but it was pointed out that a single bullet doesn't always stop an attacker. Depending on placement, caliber and if the attacker is on anything or just really hates you it might take your entire mag, depending on what you carry, then you have to worry about if the attacker had any friends. It's something you have to look at on a personal basis, and after running that hundredth scenario through your head where a group of six guy in a van tried to kidnap you and your significant other (first thing that popped into my head, man now i'm going to dream about fighting off kidnappers tonight) you might decide you want an extra mag. Hope that helped answer your question.

Topic author
n1nthw9rd

Post by n1nthw9rd »

yea, i guess i understand where you guys are coming from.

just didnt know if i should look into buyin a holster with aplace for an extra mag or whether or not i really needed it.

and as for the paranoid schitzo comment, it was just a joke. (cuz there are people out there that think everyone they see on the street is gonna try to rob/kill/abduct you)

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

n1nthw9rd wrote:iv seen and/or talked to alot of CHL owners that carry an extra mag with them along with their concealed handgun.

Has nothing to do with paranoid or dangerous work... Clint Smith of THUNDER RANCH says "One is none and two is one" when it comes to magazines. Not only can you have magazine failure but even with Law Enforcement, average of 8 in 10 bullets miss their target due to the bad guy moving, your nervousness, lighting, etc. Too, suppose your trapped in a mall shooter scenario...or multiple perps at the stop-n-rob. Your going to want all you can have. Of course there has to be a limit somewhere and only you can decide what that.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

Carrying an extra mag isn't about the extra ammo to me, its about the extra reliability. Mags fail, and they are the #1 reason for failure in semi-autos. Additionally you may loose the mag in your firearm for some reason (was not inserted properly, mag release accidentally pressed, ect). I also carry a backup gun for the same reasons, my primary can fail. Am I paranoid? I don't think so, I think I am just prepared. I am by nature a problem solver and being prepared to the best of my abilities is my nature. I recommend carrying your magazines on the weak side to simplify mag changes.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

depending on the gun and how you dress, you can go either way. Most of the time I just put extra mags in my pockets. But, I wear cargo shorts a lot so I can put my phone, keys, etc on the bigger pockets, leaving my top pockets free for gun stuff. I also have a nylon mag holder that I can clip onto my belt for my 1911, and I use that at times too.

Like everything else gun related, what works for one may not work for another, so you'll just have to experiment and find out what works for you/is concealable/is confortable.

And I figured your p/s comments were in jest, which is why I responded the same way. :mrgreen:
TANSTAAFL

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

OP:

We carry a gun to be prepared. We carry an additional mag or 2 to be better prepared.

A CHL could easily run out of ammo during an encounter with multiple perps.

The quick takeaway on ammo: You can have too little, but you can never have too much.

*************************************************************************************************************

74novaman and others in a similar situation:

You mentioned that you have a nylon ammo holder for your extra mags.
I used to use such a double mag holder, but in October 2010, at the Friendswood CHL Forum
Day, I wised up. Almost all other shooters there that day were using hard kydex double mag holders
that allowed about half the mag to stick up. These kydex holders are far superior to the nylon style
in that the mags can be moved in and out with greater speed. Consider switching to Kydex.

During the speed reloading drills my nylon ammo pouch with velcro flaps was a serious detriment to
fast retrieval and replacement of mags. On the street, those are precious, fumbling seconds that
could get me killed if I ran dry from my initial mag in the pistol.

Worn OWB under a shirt or other concealment garment, it's great to have 2 mags (20 rounds) to
back up the 10 + 1 in my EDC.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Two is one, and one is none.

It was already posted but it's me default answer to this question when it comes up.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I carry only the ammo in my weapon.
if i ever need more and am wrong, well, I guess I made the wrong decision.
If I could open carry a spare magazine, I would probably carry extra, but with phones - yes 2 of them, and the weapon and keys and wallet and whatever else is in my pockets daily, there is no room for more, at least not easily and practical - for me
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Steve M

Post by Steve M »

gigag04 wrote:Two is one, and one is none.
Which is why you should carry two pistols. :shock:

fulano

Post by fulano »

Options. A sheep has no options.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”