Sons of Gun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Texas_Tactical
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Sons of Gun

Post by Texas_Tactical »

I think it's a cool show. It's good for gun related entertainment.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Good lord, what a bunch of morons. No wonder people from the south have such a bad reputation.
this show gives gun people, southerners, and people who happen to watch an episode a bad name. shewt, I feel a little dumber have seen a few episodes.

I wanna say that was the Tactical Tommy Gun episode. That episode made me throw up in my mouth. I am curious how a semi-auto Thompson gets remanufactured to be a full auto, legally? That whole thing seemed odd to me, but I do understand it was going to a sheriff. I had to question the tactics of a sheriff who'd want a pistol cartridge round for "high risk" house clearing. seems like an M4 or AR15 would be more appropriate!

To clarify, The suppressed guns the daughter sold didn't leave the store, they were just filling out the paperwork and paying for the items.

The lady that was told to leave, well, Red Jacket isn't a typical gun store. They're a joint that specializes in suppressors and what not. The owner did send them to a place/people that could help her get acquainted to firearms.

On the whole, I watch the show to see gun stuff. I loathe the owner and the people who work there (i won't start on that tragedy of a daughter) for perpetuating a negative stereotype of rednecks with guns. quotes like the one about the mohawk wearing kid wanting robotic AK47s patrolling his house make me :roll: . And their gun handling and safety practices are deplorable. not to mention their abysmal accuracy!
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

DoubleJ wrote:Good lord, what a bunch of morons. No wonder people from the south have such a bad reputation.
this show gives gun people, southerners, and people who happen to watch an episode a bad name. shewt, I feel a little dumber have seen a few episodes.
I agree. I enjoy some of the history of the guns they check out or build, but that dude that owns it is a piece of work. As to the daughter... ...one wonders what happened to mom.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

DoubleJ wrote:Good lord, what a bunch of morons. No wonder people from the south have such a bad reputation.

I wanna say that was the Tactical Tommy Gun episode. That episode made me throw up in my mouth. I am curious how a semi-auto Thompson gets remanufactured to be a full auto, legally? That whole thing seemed odd to me, but I do understand it was going to a sheriff. I had to question the tactics of a sheriff who'd want a pistol cartridge round for "high risk" house clearing. seems like an M4 or AR15 would be more appropriate!

To clarify, The suppressed guns the daughter sold didn't leave the store, they were just filling out the paperwork and paying for the items.

The lady that was told to leave, well, Red Jacket isn't a typical gun store. They're a joint that specializes in suppressors and what not. The owner did send them to a place/people that could help her get acquainted to firearms.

On the whole, I watch the show to see gun stuff. I loathe the owner and the people who work there (i won't start on that tragedy of a daughter) for perpetuating a negative stereotype of rednecks with guns. quotes like the one about the mohawk wearing kid wanting robotic AK47s patrolling his house make me :roll: . And their gun handling and safety practices are deplorable. not to mention their abysmal accuracy!
:iagree:

The phony gangsta attitude on the shop tour and the hip-hop schucking and jiving get to me too. Grew up in NC, didn't know they were so bad down in MS. :shock:

The manufacturing of a new full auto for Sheriff, or even for stock is OK for a FFL 07/02 SOT (manufacturer/dealer, special occupational taxpayer...in ATF speak). But that Thompson abortion was just dumb. If I was the Sheriff and wanted a pistol caliber full-auto, I'd just buy an HK UMP 40cal. UMP is the new HK sub-machine gun designed to replace the MP5.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Dave2
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Dave2 »

Beiruty wrote:I catched some of the part where the silenced AK was made. But wow $2800 for an AK with Quad-rail wih integrated Silencer :shock:
Too much $$$$ for a SAIGA.
To be fair, you're not paying $2800 for a <whatever>. You're paying $2800 for an integrally suppressed <whatever>. It's certainly not worth that much to me, but if you're married to the AK platform and you need it to be integrally suppressed... <shrug>

As a real-world example, let's say my PD is buying new carbines. It's $950 for a Saiga AK and $675 for a Red Jacket stainless steel suppressor, so the integrally suppressed version is an extra $1,175.00/unit. Based on my city's population, if every single officer is getting one, buying one of those instead of a regular AK & suppressor would cost each taxpayer... <drumroll>... less than a buck and a half ($1.47, to be exact). If my PD thinks it'll save lives, I'll cheerfully get water instead of tea next time I go out for dinner (and with what they're charging for tea these days I'll probably come out ahead anyway).
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I didnt know any PD in the USA used an AK platform.

AustinBoy

Post by AustinBoy »

I like the show. I think it is pretty funny.

One thing not funny:
They mount a remote controlled M16 to the top of a truck and go test fire it at a range. The range has an old bus on it and when they shoot it, half the side of the bus blows up with a big fireball. To someone who knows something about guns, there was obviously an explosive charge in the bus that they hit while firing at it.
To someone who doesnt know anything about guns, "WOW look what an M16/AR15 can do! We need to ban those ASAP!"
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Life Member

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

grim-bob wrote:Wow. I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I have thought parts of the show were interesting but not enough to keep it on my roster. And I'll record just about anything...
:iagree: The show is on the left side of stupid. The daughter needs to be slapped!

Dave2
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Dave2 »

rm9792 wrote:I didnt know any PD in the USA used an AK platform.
It was hypothetical. I have no idea if any PDs use them.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

grim-bob wrote:Wow. I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I have thought parts of the show were interesting but not enough to keep it on my roster. And I'll record just about anything...
:iagree: I have watched just about all the episodes and given the program a chance. I am out on this one. I have decided it isn't worth another second of my time.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

USA1

Post by USA1 »

To all those who don't like the show...
...There's always American Idol or Jersey Shore. :leaving

:evil2:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

USA1 wrote:To all those who don't like the show...

I don't want to explain to my wife why there are bullet holes in the TV. .. :lol:
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

USA1 wrote:To all those who don't like the show...

Or you can come here and read some really great comedy. :evil2:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AustinBoy wrote:I like the show. I think it is pretty funny.

One thing not funny:
They mount a remote controlled M16 to the top of a truck and go test fire it at a range. The range has an old bus on it and when they shoot it, half the side of the bus blows up with a big fireball. To someone who knows something about guns, there was obviously an explosive charge in the bus that they hit while firing at it.
To someone who doesnt know anything about guns, "WOW look what an M16/AR15 can do! We need to ban those ASAP!"
To be fair, the owner usually says afterward that he has a pyrotechnics license and that he rigged the bus/wooden shack/old car/whathaveyou to blow up on bullet impact. So yeah, it is easy to misunderstand, but anyone actually listening to the dialog would know what is actually happening.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

Just a word of advice. You should NOT watch "Swamp People".

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”