Homeowner Shoots Burglar Who Returns For Second Try

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by seamusTX »

William Pitt wrote:The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the crown. ... but the King of England may not enter -- all his force dares not cross the threshold ...
That's quite a bit better than we have it today. :sad:

- Jim

casselthief
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by casselthief »

KBCraig wrote:If we want true sanctity of our homes, we should be more concerned with the threat from the "King", than from burglars.

Kevin
wrong forum :lol:
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

kauboy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by kauboy »

KBCraig wrote:If we want true sanctity of our homes, we should be more concerned with the threat from the "King", than from burglars.
Kevin
Maybe, but I'm not worried enough about "them" coming to get me as I am about some crackhead presuming my home is his playground.
Baby steps my friend, baby steps. The Antis do it, we can too.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skipper5 »

++++++11111
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

txinvestigator wrote:If that is the case, then you are using deadly force to protect lives, not property. ;-)
:iagree: Key words here!

Not that I am judging or being critical of anyone here, I believe it is a good thing to get issues off your chest...But I'd be very careful what I would say you would do in certain cases or situations...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Russell - I think you are skipping over a few key gun safety rules here.

I mean no offense, but when I hear you talk about having no mercy, and no respect - these comments to me seem kind of radical and unrational.

When we, as the armed public, start acting without thinking, I think we put ourselves, and our 2nd amendment PRIVILEGES in jeapordy.

I would urge to reconsider what you will and will not do in these situations, and make sure you make every effort to find out what really is a threat, and what is not.

Failure to do these types of things can lead to shot children.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Tote 9
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tote 9 »

If you catch a person crawling through your window and you are armned
and you have reason to believe he is not, then I don't think you have reason to shoot first and ask questions later. If you know or have reason to believe
he is armned then that is a different matter. Maby a simple " HALT OR I'LL
SHOOT " might work. If not then be ready to make a split second decision.
Don't Lose Your Head , Your Brains Are In It !!
At my age the only thing thats getting better is my FORGETTER.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

One of my cousins' husband is a Methodist minister. He lived in a small town in the Midwest that had almost no violent crime. He was also accustomed to troubled parishoners coming to his door at odd hours.

One of his neighbors got drunk to a level that could only be called insane. The man came to the minister's door and proceeded to beat him within an inch of his life with a shovel that was outside the door. The minister is now permanently disabled.

(No one in the home had a weapon, and they are not young or athletic.)

Anyone who is not paralyzed or unconscious can harm you, faster than you know.

(BTW, the criminal managed to get a lawyer to tie the "justice" system in knots for years. My cousin's family moved hundreds of miles away and put the whole thing behind them.)

- Jim

Tote 9
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tote 9 »

Russell wrote:That is a very sad story seamus. It just goes to show that people who you think you know somewhat decently can change in a split second.

I agree Russell, and that being the way it is these days knowing what is becoming of our world makes you stop and think. But as much as we could
think and meditate on every imaginable senario that could happen, we may
never know how we might react in any given situation. All we can do is try
to train our minds, and hope and pray that we do the right thing.
Don't Lose Your Head , Your Brains Are In It !!
At my age the only thing thats getting better is my FORGETTER.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I think we're bashing Russel a bit much.
I don't know that my reaction would be all that different. If someone is entering my house through a window, why are they there?
When a person breaks & enters, we don't know their intentions. They may be there to simply take my things. They may be looking to harm one of us. Many criminals enter to merely commit theft, find a female or child home alone, and decide a sexual assault might be more fun.

And how to I know that the individual crawling through my window doesn't also have a gun? I might say, "Stop or I'll shoot!" And the reply might be a .45 cal bullet in my chest.

On the flip side, I know my neighbors. Most of them are in their 70s on up, and this age group doesn't seem too heavily involved in drunkenness. If one of the old farmers nearby finds himself in my home, I'll assume its dementia and walk him home. However, one set of neighbors are in their 30s and are of the morally-challenged variety. (Morally-challenged in that if I saw them crawling through my window, I will have my hand on my gun wondering their intentions.) Another set of neighbors aren't the drunk or druggie sort, but do have teens. If I saw their teens crawling through my window, I'd holler at them to go home, then call their mother and tell her what they were up to.

Most of us should know our neighbors. I don't think most of us, including Russel, plan to shoot a drunk neighbor that we are fairly certain is harmless.
However, we don't know the intentions of that person crawling through the window. Unless the criminal is naked, we probably don't know if it has a weapon ready.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Venus Pax wrote:Most of us should know our neighbors. I don't think most of us, including Russel, plan to shoot a drunk neighbor that we are fairly certain is harmless.
I don't want to harp on this like a maniac, but you don't know that someone who is drunk or demented is harmless.

One of the sadder stories that I remember from Illinois was an elderly guy who yelled at people who walked on the sidewalk in front of his house. That seems just eccentric. Well, one day he shot and killed a teenage girl who was on his front lawn.

People with Alzheimer's disease can go through a phase where they are paranoid and violent. It's not common, but it happens. They misplace their possessions and accuse others of stealing them. If they have a weapon, they can be dangerous.

The best way to deal with these situations is to plan for them. If someone is that far gone, they should be in a place where they can be cared for appropriately.

- Jim

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”