Sons of Gun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TLE2
Posts in topic: 1

Sons of Gun

Post by TLE2 »

I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of the Discovery series "Sons of Gun". I like it, but then I'm easily amused.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

USA1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Sons of Gun

Post by USA1 »

There's a thread about it somewhere but I can't post the link from my phone right now.

Awsome show. I haven't missed an episode yet.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

JDRFL1

Post by JDRFL1 »

I like it as well

jeeperbryan

Post by jeeperbryan »

I think there was a pool of drool on my couch after watching the last episode. That suppressed AK they're producing is about the baddest thing Ive ever seen. They have them listed on their website for $2800

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

The show is entertaining, but I have a few problems with it.
In one episode, a couple comes in to buy a home defense weapon for the wife.
Red talks her into buying a suppressed .22 handgun.
Five minutes later they are having a shooting contest and Red's daughter brings a shotgun proclaiming "My daddy taught me a handgun is what you use to fight your way to a real gun. This is a real gun!"
Well yes it is, but what about that other woman?

In a different episode a customer wants to buy a suppressed .22 rifle and is told it will be 4 months for the paperwork. He gets angry and leaves and the daughter explains to the camera that they must follow the laws.
Yet five minutes later she sells three suppressed weapons to a couple of guides and they are taking her bow-fishing!
Either they were class three dealers or they left that whole 4 month wait thing off camera.

I know the show has to be entertaining, but it seems to be adding to the confusion and misinformation about firearms and class three.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just now got done watching the episode where they design a door breacher by mounting a cut down Saiga 12 to the underside of an M16.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Dave2
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Dave2 »

Chemist45 wrote:The show is entertaining, but I have a few problems with it.
In one episode, a couple comes in to buy a home defense weapon for the wife.
Red talks her into buying a suppressed .22 handgun.
Five minutes later they are having a shooting contest and Red's daughter brings a shotgun proclaiming "My daddy taught me a handgun is what you use to fight your way to a real gun. This is a real gun!"
Well yes it is, but what about that other woman?
I'd missed the suppressed part. Anyway, I think the idea was that they were going with the .22 because they're so easy to shoot, then get her something bigger when she'd proven that she could handle the .22. At least, I think that's what was going on.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

TLE2 wrote:I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of the Discovery series "Sons of Gun". I like it, but then I'm easily amused.
Same here. (On both counts :mrgreen:)
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

In the first episode, they supposedly suppressed a 12 guage, yet it was still 144db.

The suppressed AK was still 122db.

According to OSHA, anything over 120db is dangerous and produces pain. So in neither case did they actually achieve the goal of creating something that could be fired without hearing protection.

They obviously have at least a class III license as well as a license to manufacture. But I still wonder about buying a M2 .50 as a virgin kit and assembling as full auto. The kit had not been opened since its 1940s manufacture. I fail to see how it could have been registered by the 1986 cutoff.

In the last episode, a couple came in to buy a home defense weapon. Since neither exhibited any familiarity, they refused to sell them a gun and showed them the door.

But it is a lot of fun to watch.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Mike1951 wrote:In the first episode, they supposedly suppressed a 12 guage, yet it was still 144db.

The suppressed AK was still 122db.

According to OSHA, anything over 120db is dangerous and produces pain. So in neither case did they actually achieve the goal of creating something that could be fired without hearing protection.
OSHA's cutoff is 140dB A-Weighted, Slow Response. I don't know what weighting they were using on the show, but for these purposes A-Weighting is at best inaccurate because it throws away so much low-frequency stuff. By "so much" I really do mean scary amounts of it. As in a 20Hz sine wave played at 150dB (yes, that's one hundred and fifty) would only register as 100dB on an A-Weighted meter. I can't find any specific info on what "Slow Response" means, but it involves averaging the volume (as in dB, not cubic inches or anything) over maybe a second, but that's just a guess. I think I read somewhere that "fast" response was supposed to be 1/8th of a second, but there's a fair-to-good chance I'm mis-remembering that. Anyway, neither of them correspond to the peak impulse measurements you'd need to accurately measure the loudness of a gunshot.

And now it's time for Dave's Trivia of the Day! <applause & fan-fare> :woohoo
Did you know that, on average, at sea-level, the loudest sound wave possible in earth's atmosphere is 191dB? Louder than that and it becomes a shock wave. What's the difference? Well, what we perceive as sound is just a series of over-pressures & under-pressures in the air. As sounds get louder the pressure differences grow, and at 191dB the difference between ambient atmospheric pressure and the high-pressure and low-pressure waves equals 1 standard atmosphere of pressure, which means that the low-pressure part of the sound wave would be a perfect vacuum. Well you can't get lower than a vacuum, so if the sound is louder than 191dB, earth's atmosphere can no longer transmit the sound without clipping off the bottom of the low-pressure wave, and instead of a sound wave we get a shock wave (which can be as loud as you want).

:thewave

rm9792
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rm9792 »

Mike1951 wrote:In the last episode, a couple came in to buy a home defense weapon. Since neither exhibited any familiarity, they refused to sell them a gun and showed them the door.
But it is a lot of fun to watch.
That incident struck me as counterproductive to our cause and rude. I would like to have seen the owner offer to show them how to operate the gun safely rather than act like a jerk and say "your not worthy". Show is really cool though. How are they supposed to learn if they have no one or no gun to learn with?

Tregs

Post by Tregs »

I found 2 episodes on ON DEMAND this weekend and watched them both. It is an entertaining show, but I kept thinking of the thread on this site about "why are the people at gun ranges jerks", or something like that. I think Stephanie (the owner's daughter) might fit the mold.
I especially liked her remark in one of the episdoes, "I know more than 1/2 the guys that come in here." I don't think that's a great percentage when you work in a gun shop. :shock:

slinco

Post by slinco »

I have 3 episodes recorded, hope to watch them all tomorrow.
PETULANT MISANTHROPE
Why do they call it Tourist Season if ya can't shoot 'em?

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

Wow. I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I have thought parts of the show were interesting but not enough to keep it on my roster. And I'll record just about anything...
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

grim-bob wrote:Wow. I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I have thought parts of the show were interesting but not enough to keep it on my roster. And I'll record just about anything...
Right there with you. The show's concept seemed good, but the execution is horrible. Its seems very (poorly) scripted, and so many of the guys coming to to have something built seem more like set-ups. I was really turned off after the episode where they were shooting tracers out of the .50 cal and started the fire. They called the FD and then went right back to shooting, just seemed very irresponsible.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”